VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have Wondershare video converter ultimate. I use this because this provide the best speed of conversion with my pc specs. I have asked this same question in wondershare's forum and i did not get reply( waiting for it.).
    When i import movies to the converter and convert the video with hardsub(subtitle on the video), the video comes with weird subtitle characters.

I have uploaded a screenshot of the problem. Please have a look at it. Now if you look at the subtitle, you see some weird characters. Those subtitle are in english and show well when i play it on VLC Media player. When i imported the video, the software showed "Updating font cache". Does this mean anything to this subtitle?

Hope you can help me.
    Last edited by swalih; 8th Aug 2014 at 06:27.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have posted on this so many times that I am really starting to get tired of it.

Most programs that deal with subtitles in any fashion have problems with non-English character sets. Even accent marks in languages that use the Latin alphabet like French, Spanish, Portuguese, etc. are problems. Unicode subtitles almost never work. Very few subtitle programs can work with Unicode subtitles unless those subtitles are actually in English.

So basically your only hope is to do the following.
    1) Get your subtitles in a non-Unicode character set that Windows understands for your language.
    2) Under the Control Panel go to Regional and Language Settings and under Advanced there's a setting that says something like "Choose language for non-unicode programs". You must pick your language. Reboot. This will cause some of your programs to be displayed on the screen in this new language, so you better be able to read it. Try the subtitle program again. If you are lucky, it will now work.

Or you could abandon Wondershare and use something like Xvid4PSP. If you get your subtitles into Unicode it actually can work with that and hardcode them correctly. I have used it to hardcode simplified Chinese subtitles into Xvid video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm sorry for asking, i searched in this site and in google but i did not get an answer for me. That's why i posted here.

My subtitle is in english. So should i do the 2nd thing you said? And i really don't want to abandon Wondershare because with my graphic card, this program help me convert hd video of movie length to some other format in 20-40 min which is really good for my pc.

I uploaded my subtitle. Please check if its in the way its supposed to be. And all subtitle has this issue, not only this. And some of it did work with this software in my friend's computer. He do not have it now.
    Last edited by swalih; 8th Aug 2014 at 06:28.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You don't have to apologize. But I am really tired of this topic. That's my problem, not yours.

I did notice that your first subtitle (#1 in the file) is completely blank and that may be the problem. It may be causing Wondershare to freak out. Edit the SRT file with a text editor of some kind (WordPad, for example) and change the line of text under the time codes for the first subtitle to have just a period in it so that the line isn't blank and see if that fixes your problem.

You seem married to Wondershare, so there's not a lot I can do to help you. If your subtitle is English, you should not ever have to do what I said as my understanding is that all language sets of Windows understand English character sets. You did explain in your first post that your subtitles were in English and I missed that. That was my mistake. For English subtitle files you should not ever have to do what I talked about in my first post. If changing the first line of text in your subtitles files does not fix the problem, you'll have to find someone who is familiar with Wondershare. Wondershare is pretty obscure. Probably nobody here can help you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Okay, thanks.

Does this "loading font cache" mean anything with the subtitle? I tried another subtitle with only english characters and completely filled in all the sub no. But still the problem is there. Wondershare support seems not responding. I have posted there before 2 days and no respond.
    Last edited by swalih; 8th Aug 2014 at 06:28.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The attached file "The Hunger Games.srt" starts with three non-printable characters (in hex) "EF BB BF". Does the .srt file format require a magic number, or is it plain text? If I open it in Notepad, then save as ANSI text, the characters go away, and the file size shrinks. If those characters don't belong there, that's probably the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by swalih View Post
    I have Wondershare video converter ultimate. When i import movies to the converter and convert the video with hardsub(subtitle on the video), the video comes with weird subtitle characters.
    Swalih,

I had the same problem. It's a kind of bug. But I've found a solution: just change the standard font for another. After this, the subtitle comes back to appear.

May it be helpful.
    Quote Quote