VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to use MP4tools to convert mkv's so that I can watch them on my xbox but I'm not having any success. When I check the logs I see the following errors:

/bin/sh: /Applications/mp4tools3.2.5/MP4tools.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg: Bad CPU type in executable

Setting up iTunes/iPod file...

Error: Bad Parameter

Does anyone have any experience with such a task?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    2 things right off the bat - not all mkvs will play on the xbox even when converted to mp4. The xbox has a pretty strict list of what type of h264 files it will play. If you don't meet those criteria it won't work.

2nd - try winff in passthrough mode - set to mp4 as the output. No reencoding.

Edit - also if its larger than 4gbs you won't be able to do it without using a mac hfs+ formatted usb drive as the xbox won't recognize ntfs drives.

And apparently the xbox will only recognize wmv files that are larger than 4gbs not other types - though I haven't personally tested this only read it on other posts.

Edit - and somebody else will mention it so I will first - you are better off buying a media player like a wdtv media player that can play a wide range of media files without the need for converting and it can read ntfs drives. Or you can also use a bluray player that reads ntfs usb drives, they are actually a bit more flexible than the xbox 360 though not as robust as a wdtv media player.

You can find used wdtv media players at a good price online. Please note that if you are thinking about a roku type box those streaming boxes have little real file support so read up on the specs of a particular box before buying or just buy a wdtv instead and you will be sure that it will play just about everything out there.
    Last edited by yoda313; 20th Apr 2013 at 21:20.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1 for the WDTV player.

However, try MP4Tools and use the 1-pass method (if necessary) for iPhone4. Read the docs for when passthrough is possible. Use the suggested bitrate and, even if you have to re-encode, the results will be fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin
    even if you have to re-encode, the results will be fine.
    I don't know if you can completely make that claim all the time. It depends on the source naturally and what you do with the settings. There are those here who would say ANY reencoding will result in some quality loss. Again its in the eye of the beholder of course but fiddling with the video can introduce lower quality depending on what you do to it.

Basically keep it the same resolution and use a relatively high bitrate if you do have to reencode.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My experience with MP4Tools has been excellent. When I play back the original mkv and the re-encoded mp4 (H264/AAC) on my WDTV on a 720p set (and my source videos are usually 480-to-720p), I can spot no difference. I'm sure if I wanted to be anal about it and check a single frame, enlarged, I'd find something different but, frankly, my real-world experience with the app has lead me to abandon almost all other methods simply because it's simple, fast, and as good as it needs to be. As you say, there are those for whom the perfect is the enemy of the good enough.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pixel zombie View Post
    /bin/sh: /Applications/mp4tools3.2.5/MP4tools.app/Contents/Resources/ffmpeg: Bad CPU type in executable
    Could it be that there was a mismatch between the app requirements and the computer, e.g. PPC vs. Intel?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by pixel zombie View Post
    I see the following errors:
    Your tool version seems to be too old (eg: your ffmpeg binary is made for use onto PPC computers, but PPC codes are no more usable since MacOS10.7, and you use a more recent version of MacOS)
    …search the web for a less outdated version

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Herve View Post
    Originally Posted by pixel zombie View Post
    I see the following errors:
    Your tool version seems to be too old (eg: your ffmpeg binary is made for use onto PPC computers, but PPC codes are no more usable since MacOS10.7, and you use a more recent version of MacOS)
    …search the web for a less outdated version

bye
    I tried that but it didn't work until I clicked on "use legacy encoder", my mini is only 32 bit. Works like a charm now in no time at all, the next step is to try the files out on my xbox.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The older MKVTools from emmgun (also makes MP4Tools) seems to work well, as does MVK4Xbox. I now use the commercial software iFlicks exclusively since it has not once disappointed me. They do have a free trial, which lets you try a bunch of full conversions. I also just posted a similar response in a thread higher up since you seemed to need the same thing, NOT because I am trying to promote a particular piece of sofware or anything (except in the "sharing something that works for me" sense). Here is that thread.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    2 things right off the bat - not all mkvs will play on the xbox even when converted to mp4. The xbox has a pretty strict list of what type of h264 files it will play. If you don't meet those criteria it won't work.

2nd - try winff in passthrough mode - set to mp4 as the output. No reencoding.
    I just came across this thread today, and I have to ask: What is WinFF Passthrough mode??? I don't see it in my version of winFF (1.42).
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by leebo
    What is WinFF Passthrough mode??? I don't see it in my version of winFF (1.42).
    Forum member bat999 was kind enough to post some presets for this purpose.

I don't have the link handy but search the forum for winff passthrough or winff pass through and you should find the post.
    Quote Quote