VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible to use Virtutal Dub and the resizing filter to convert a 4:3-avifile to a 16:9-avifile without cropping? Avisynth seems to have such an option.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ... the "Smart resize" filter ...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Use the lower portion of the Resize filter to add borders to fill out the 16:9 frame.

The Smart Resize filter for AviSynth is an adaptation of VirtualDub's Resize filter.
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Apr 2013 at 18:22.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Use the lower portion of the Resize filter to add borders to fill out the 16:9 frame."
    Yes, I have realized that and tried a number of various settings but I cannot get an output uncropped 16:9 file from the 4:3 input PAL-file, (width 720, height 576). The output file is cropped.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Smart resize filter.jpg
Views:	5448
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	17306  

Quote Quote  
  5. "Fit width and height w/letterbox"

I thought you said you wanted to use VirtualDub's resize filter?

Click image for larger version

Name:	resize.png
Views:	6438
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	17308

Is your source larger than 720x576? Then you have to use the top part to resize first. And why are you using 720x576? Are you making a DVD? Did you adjust for the pixel aspect ratio of 16;9 DVD?
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Apr 2013 at 06:03.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will this produce an "uncropped" 16:9-outputfile? My source is a 4:3-file, 720x576. As output I want a 16:9-file, not cropped. Yes, I am making a dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You seem to be under the misconception that you can create a 16:9 video from a 4:3 video without stretching the picture horizontally, cropping the video vertically, or adding pillarbox bars.

Unless your source was incorrectly mastered with a 16:9 DAR video in a 4:3 DAR frame (in which case you don't have to do anything but flag the DAR as 16:9) you'll need to do one of the above.

The proper procedure is to reduce the frame to 540x576, add pillarbox bars to restore the frame size to 720x576, then burn as 16:9 DVD. But there's no reason to do this because the DVD player or TV will do it as you watch the original 4:3 DVD. The only real reason to do this is if you're mixing 4:3 and 16:9 clips and want to make a 16:9 DVD.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Apr 2013 at 07:17.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to use the Smart resize filter as I read somewhere that this filter can produce
    uncropped 16:9-files using 4:3-filés as input.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Mållgan View Post
    I want to use the Smart resize filter as I read somewhere that this filter can produce
    uncropped 16:9-files using 4:3-filés as input.
    It cannot -- except as I described.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. Thanks for your replies. Maybe I will look into Avisynth, which seems to have a method for this.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Mållgan View Post
    OK. Thanks for your replies. Maybe I will look into Avisynth, which seems to have a method for this.
    No, it's simply impossible. Take a 4:3 photograph on a piece of paper. How can you put it in a 16:9 frame without cropping the top and bottom, adding borders to the left and right edges, or stretching it horizontally? You can't. Period. End of story.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What about this? (4:3 to 16:9 without cropping"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP4MTTq5r3M

I have not been able to try this as I have not the proper version of Adobe Photoshop.
    Quote Quote  
  13. He's simply performing two non-linear stretches. That looks really horrible when things are moving. I highly recommend against doing something like that for an entire movie. Maybe for a few shots here and there where things aren't moving near the edges of the frame.

You can use WarpedResize() in AviSynth, part of the SimpleResize package.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I think I will stick to the option (cropping) which Magix Movie Edit Pro MX offers for producing 16:9-files out of 4:3-files. I use this software for capturing and editing.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Mållgan View Post
    What about this? (4:3 to 16:9 without cropping"):
    It looks like something done by someone that doesn't know any better. What's wrong with the original 4:3?

Originally Posted by Mållgan View Post
    Thanks. I think I will stick to the option (cropping) which Magix Movie Edit Pro
    Another stupid idea. What's wrong with the original 4:3? And don't say you don't like looking at pillar-bars on your TV set or in the YouTube player.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. If you say it is a stupid idea, I presume it is a stupid idea and a waste of time. Thank you for concern.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, okay, maybe stupid ain't a good word (even if it is stupid). Let's say that the visually uninformed and imperceptive think it looks cool. Those who know better don't think so. I don't wqant Penelope Cruz stretched to 230 pounds or with some of her body parts cut off.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 16th Apr 2013 at 17:28.
    Quote Quote