VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks,

I am trying to use HandBrake or VidCoder ... to take advantage of the Fast Conversion Speed. But here is the problem ...HandBrake changes the Aspect Ratio of the Original, eventhough you think is Not.

The Picture ... faces get Elongated so slightly, but I can tell when I am comparing the Original next to the Converted file. All I am changing is the Bit Rate and Audio from 6 channel AC3 to Stereo AAC to get a MKV file that is Smaller size in MKV format.

Q1: Is there a Dummy-Proof setup that it will leave the Original AR of the video in TACT?

Q2: Would HandBrake perform Better if I choose the MP4 outpout?

Thanks,

G!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you are using handbrake incorrectly.

Upload a small sample of your original video and then that same sample converted where you say the AR is wrong
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I guess you are using handbrake incorrectly.

Upload a small sample of your original video and then that same sample converted where you say the AR is wrong
    Hi DB83,

Thanks for your offer of help ... I will do it as soon as I get a chance ... it might take couple of days since I have to do some honey-do stuff otherwise I am toasted.

G!
    Quote Quote  
  4. HandBrake has a few different methods for resizing. Which one are you using and what type of video is your source?

The dimesions of the video might be a factor. For instance if the source is 1280x720 it's exactly 16:9, but if you were to resize to 720x400 (for example) it's not.

There's also two methods for resizing a 16:9 DVD. One is exactly 16:9 while the "official" method is a little wider. If memory serves me correctly, HandBrake automatically switches between resizing methods according to how much you crop, whereas a software player will naturally just display the original video one way (pretty much always as 16:9).

If you want to know why the output aspect ratio seems different to the input aspect ratio you'll need to provide a specific example. ie the type of video you're using as a source, it's resolution and aspect ratio, the exact cropping you're doing and the resizing method/dimensions etc. Then it should be possible to work out what Handbrake is doing.
    Quote Quote