+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Video Studio: many years ago, I used this. Not to any great extent
    Back then, it was usable

Now: this software completely and utterly sucks! (For me anyway)
    Over the past 4 years, I've tried using different versions - I really have given it a go and spent a lot of time trying to get it to work

I have a Dell Studio 2.5Ghz with 4GB RAM - in it's day, this was near to the top of specs of models - it's 4+ years old

I have an SSD drive installed and run Windows 8 - it's damn fast!!
    Boots up in about 12 seconds (and ready to use!)
    Loads programs in a second or 2 or 3 at most
    Something demanding and heavy like Photoshop takes a second or 2 extra to load - but then is fast and responsive

But... Video Studio: the damn thing just hangs
    It runs - but when I try to do something, it just hangs - and unhangs 90 seconds later

My laptop: I rebuild every month - so it's *always* running at optimal speed and not bogged down with malware or something

Or... is it just me??

Does anyone else use Video Studio?

OM
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use Video Studio Pro X6 and I have it installed on both my desktop and my laptop. I've not had any problems with it since I've been using it (for about 5 - 6 years).

My computers are newer, though. The desktop has 32 GBs of ram and the laptop has 24 GBs of ram. Both are running Windows 7 Professional. I don't have SSDs either, just sata hard drives.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    brainiac, maybe it's just me - maybe i need a lot more ram?
    i don't mean to put it down - just amazingly frustrating to use (for me)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by OM2 View Post

Or... is it just me??

Does anyone else use Video Studio?
    I'm using VideoStudio X5 on an HP laptop (bought in 2006) running Windows XP SP3 with 2GB RAM & 120GB HDD & dual core 1.83GHz processor.

Never hangs at all and even works with HD video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    maybe its the video i'm using - .mov files from a canon 1100d??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What version of Video Studio ?

These .mov files mean nothing. You should post a mediainfo report of one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wasn't aware the rebel t3 could shoot video. use mediainfo on one of it's .mov files and post the text mode results.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    latest version of video studio - x6 - but have also tried x5 in the past (a few times and faile devery time)
    the t3 shoots some *awesome* video. i've got a f1.8 lens - the footage i get looks as good as professional film

i installied media info

see below:

General
    Complete name : H:\delnow\films\MVI_0140.MOV
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : QuickTime
    Codec ID : qt
    File size : 57.8 MiB
    Duration : 19s 320ms
    Overall bit rate : 25.1 Mbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2013-04-09 15:58:34
    Tagged date : UTC 2013-04-09 15:58:34

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Baseline@L5.0
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=12
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 24.3 Mbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.054
    Stream size : 55.9 MiB (97%)
    Language : English
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : sowt
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 768 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 1 channel
    Channel positions : Front: C
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 1.77 MiB (3%)
    Language : English
    let me know what u guys think
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's decent video. 720p30 at 25mb/s. the newer t3i and above shoot 1080p30 at 50mb/s. if it's used from a tripod on steady or slow moving objects it should be good. i use a canon 60d as a second cam on shoots and the results are nice.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @aedipuss, while i've got ur attention, i need advice on taking photos of jewellery
    i don't have the budget to buy a canon or sigma macro lens
    would i be wasting my money buying a 'macro' sens from ebay for under £30 for the camera? or should i not waste my pennies?

also: any thought why my laptop wasn't coping with the video?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    without the funding for a decent lens i wouldn't go with cheap. i'd use your 50 1.8 on a tripod with proper lighting and then crop in post.

could be the laptop is "busy" doing other things while you are trying to edit? antivirus or something else running? try using windows task manager while editing to see what's gong on.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    not busy
    i've had everything else shut (not antivirus though)
    i know it wasn't doing a scheduled scan at the same time or anything

unusually the hard drive became really hot

even damn task manager wouldn't load
    when it did load - there was nothing listed as running and hogging the system

when i stopped video studio - all went back to normal

+ i know i don't have virus or spamware

oh well
    i think i'll just use a mac laptop that i've bought 5 months ago but haven't used!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    windows task manager always works, it's part of the o.s. right click on the taskbar(the bottom line of the display), select start task manager. corel has decent photo/drawing programs but i never heard anyone that prefers their video stuff. you might try the free demo that sony offers for movie studio. it's a cut down version of vegas pro that is fairly intuitive and gets the job done.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yah, Corel Video Studio does suck, big time.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by OM2 View Post
    latest version of video studio - x6
    That must have just come out. I was looking on Corel recently for updates to X5 (and found SP2).

Anway, I've just installed X6 and it's working flawlessly.
    But my main input files are .MPG/.MPEG and .m2ts.
    (I occasionally work with .wmv and .mp4 aswell).

@budwzr
    That statement means nothing. Try explaining why, in your opinion, Corel VS "does suck, big time".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    According to the s/w specs your video is supported. I suppose it is possible that VS does not like the .mov wrapper but your camera does appear to be supported so that is just a guess.

I see you have tried earlier versions and while these should co-exist it is possible that there exists a conflict. Corel does leave some s&^t on the HDD when they un-install and it may be wise to get rid of all before installing a new version.

The only other thought is that a new version could well have some 'hidden features' aka bugs.

I will echo previous comments and try the free download of Vegas Studio HD.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @OM2:

Seems like no-one that have answered have had the same problem with Corel Video Studio, that you have experienced.
    If I were you, I would install and try it on another PC. If you still have the same problem, then it is probably the software. If not, then it's probably your PC.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by OM2 View Post
    Can you upload a short sample clip for us to try?
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After VEGAS STUDIO, no more other editor.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    @budwzr
    That statement means nothing. Try explaining why, in your opinion, Corel VS "does suck, big time".
    It just sux all the way around.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    @budwzr

haha epic detailed description of why it "sux"
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Originally Posted by OM2 View Post
    Can you upload a short sample clip for us to try?
    Thanks.

There are native MOV files can be downloaded from vimeo , if you're logged in
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_Rebel_T3_1100D/

They are 720p30, not "euro" spec 720p25 like the OP, but I doubt that will make a difference in compatiblity testing
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the sample clip, imported it into VSP X6, scrubbed the timeline and played the clip. Absolutely no problems at all.

I am thinking that it may indeed be a hardware issue as well, so you may want to try on another computer as previously mentioned. Or try different editor altogether, again, as previously mentioned.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  24. It could also be a codec configuration issue. For example some software decode MOV files through quicktime (which can cause many problems, certain versions of quicktime may work better than others) . Does VSP X6 have it's own importer or rely on quicktime for MOV import ?
    Quote Quote  
  25. VideoStudio works fine for me, make sure Smart Proxy is enabled when working on HD files. Go to Settings/Preferences and set Smart Proxy to 720x576.

http://www.corel.com/static/product_content/css/discovery_center/tutorials_pdf/video/S...roxyInVSX4.pdf
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    @budwzr

haha epic detailed description of why it "sux"
    The main reason is that you can never advance your skills, once you get past the basics. To progress, you have to start over with something else, like Vegas, Premiere, Avid.

And your mind has to rejigger into a totally different NLE.

Since the better ones all have entry-level versions, why not just start on a path that leads somewhere, for around the same price point. It's a no brainer.

Corel makes very good graphics related software like Draw!, and their wildly popular Painter program. And those are pro level products, if PhoShop is considered pro. But Corel is a johnny-come-lately to the video editing front. And who wants the software from the back burner? Not me, I want something with long coattails.

Another issue is the way the tools are presented. In Vegas, for instance, the tools operate in industry standard terminology. The reason this is germane is that when you read a reference book, the author is speaking the same vernacular. So the knowledge gets under the skull cap a lot faster.

Even if you're just a weekend warrior with this stuff, your kids, and everyone else, are getting blasted on TV with Match Moves, Stop Motion, Particles, Motion Graphics, CGI graphics, etc. You don't want to be showing your videos with page peels and flyaway transitions. No-no. That stuff puts 'em to sleep.

A friend of mine had a new baby, and wants to film the baby's first steps, so he went out and bought a $300 camcorder in advance. He didn't stop to think that by the time the baby is ready to film, he'll be stuck using an old model camcorder because he's already invested.

You want to position yourself so you can parlay up, and don't have to junk anything.

Last edited by budwzr; 11th Apr 2013 at 16:37.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Well, to play 'devils advocate' here...I think some people need to start editing using a simple editor like 'Windows Movie Maker' or 'Coral Studio'. Some may not be able to grasp the complexities of Vegas when starting out. I started with WMM years ago using XP but soon found out it was lacking. Went to Vegas Movie Studio and never looked back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So that makes my point. But isn't Vegas Studio easy to learn too? It's full of presets, to get you going right away.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll add my 2 cents to the 'sucks' debate.

There was a time when Video Studio was the entry-level product. If you learnt to use that then you could upgrade to the pro-sumer product 'Media Studio'. Now that was before Corel acquired Ulead who did provide both.

Corel, IMO, made an error not to develop their pro-sumer products both in video etc. editing and dvd-authoring but they decided to go along the 'sumer route. And their logic seems to be that there are many who do not wish to 'enchance their skills' or even 'learn the lingo'. These people just want a simple product a bit more adavanced than MS provide for nowt.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think Corel just doesn't have the resources to put into it, and the market is already saturated. I'm sure Panasonic and Canon had their own editing software too, but that's not their forte.

If you've ever tried any software that comes with the camera, you know it's a non-starter, so Corel fills this niche.
    Last edited by budwzr; 11th Apr 2013 at 18:02.
    Quote Quote