VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. It depends...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Nice camera, but I still don't like the touch screen controls. When it's cold here in Oregon, I use thin gloves to do videos. Gloves don't work too well on touch screens, especially little screens on video cameras. Now when it's warm I would use bare fingers and get the screen all greasy with perspiration and sweat.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to get the G30 later in the year. I'm not crazy about the price, but I think it's a camcorder that can stand the test of time.

The sensor specs are a little fuzzy though. They claim 2K resolution, but the physical sensor doesn't have 2K of pixels. They're saying each pixel somehow has subpixels? What the heck is that? I hope Canon isn't fudging the numbers now, like Sony.

Anybody done research on this?

@Tree, AFA the touchscreen goes, not crazy about that either. I wear reading glasses, so I hope it's not teeny tiny text.
    Last edited by budwzr; 10th Apr 2013 at 12:23.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'll wait for your review Bud. (After you have purchased it) Keep us posted.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I got hot on the G20 a couple weeks back, and I'm soooooo glad I didn't leap. No way anybody is going to give a refund. I'd have to sell it myself on Amazon, and I'll bet Canon's going to do a price drop on the G20 very soon. So that's good.

I've been buying Canon for a while now, and they are a reputable company. However, they are late bloomers when it comes to DSLR video, and what people want, and at what price point.

1080p60 is the ONLY reason they're rolling this out. Too many customer complaints. The G20 is not doing well with customers because it lacks ANY 60fps video. The best it can do is 60i, and then you have to interpolate the missing fields. You can do it, and it looks pretty good, but it's a big hassle.
    Last edited by budwzr; 10th Apr 2013 at 16:05.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't understand why Canon even bothered releasing the G20. The G30 is what the G20 should have been to begin with! They really didn't have any excuses this time as official 1080/60p in the form of the AVCHD 2.0 standard has been out for a while now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Exactly!

So that means either the sensor is older in the G20 and only does 30p, OR Canon throttled the sensor.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    OR Canon throttled the sensor.

All consumer CMOS sensors in the last 4-5 years are progressive scan 59.94Hz (50Hz in PAL regions) . Just think, it is capable of 59.94i (or 29.97i same thing, different naming conventions). That's 60 motion samples per second. Thus the limitation of 30p cannot be from the sensor, it's from internal processing and recording module limitations (ie. they purposely chose to limit the processing and/or recording options)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So both sensors are the same? G30/G20?

So they use DIGIC to control? A hardware lock? That's even more devilish and fiendish than we ever imagined. I got my horns opened now.

Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I don't know.

The sensor in all models are capable of 60Hz . Even el cheapo point and shoots that record AVCHD Lite scan at 60Hz, but record to 30p. All I'm saying is the sensor isn't the problem. It's something else downstream of the sensor that they decided to limit
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What? Now mini-razorblades are forming on my horns. Them dirty b@st@rds. Only a fool would pay $600-700 premium just to get 60p, that's absurd.

You'd have to be a buffoon.

Last edited by budwzr; 10th Apr 2013 at 20:23.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hehe. cmos sensors are always read pixel by pixel from top left to right then to the next row down. they are not fast. maybe some now can do 60p but i'm guessing it's not by much. and the larger the sensor the slower it is.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I'm gettin' that "MoFo", hahaha, it's a beauty eh?

I like the sexy front eyepiece on that bad boy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    I'll wait for your review Bud. (After you have purchased it) Keep us posted.
    Yeah, this is the prequel.

Somebody up there mentioned that the G30 is what the G20 should have been, and I totally agree. $1000 is plenty too.

But the thing is, it already bedazzled me.
    Last edited by budwzr; 11th Apr 2013 at 00:04.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I don't know.

The sensor in all models are capable of 60Hz . Even el cheapo point and shoots that record AVCHD Lite scan at 60Hz, but record to 30p. All I'm saying is the sensor isn't the problem. It's something else downstream of the sensor that they decided to limit

Most professional HD cameras in the big TV studios (like BBC CNN etc...) has only 1920*1080 sensors (or they use only the exact 1920*1080 pixel-territory of the sensors) to create video signal and so they can avoid the video resize algorythms . It is important thing in real video resolution sharpness (lw / ph)! Canon has always made better quality consumer lenses and sensors than Panasonic Sony or JVC. Do not forget that the Panasonic Sony and JVC produced worse sharpness (lw/ph) with the AVCHD 1.0 than Canon models. Panasonic Sony and JVC consumer camcorders can outshine the canon sharpness only by the introduction of progressive 50/60 recording h.264 codecs (AVCHD 2.0 mode). But now, the HF G30 and G25 can use the superior 50/60p recording mode with canon quality lens and sensor, therefore G30 will be the sharpest consumer camcorder of the year.
    Last edited by Stears555; 11th Apr 2013 at 05:55.
    Quote Quote  
  16. If that camera is supposed to be for sale in Jun 2013, you'd think someone would have leaked some sample vids by now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Stears555, the studio broadcast cameras are pro, but as you say, they want to be able to go live, so they do what they do. But for movie making the standard is 2000 pixels horizontal.

That's what this G30 puppy can do. Cinema grade.
    Quote Quote  
  18. The HF-G30 might actually have a shot at getting HV20/30/40 users to upgrade if the feature set is right. Although that $1700 price tag...
    Quote Quote  
  19. Right, my questions would be about picture quality, time will tell, at the end of the year it will be obvious then
    and can it record to SD card and broadcast wi-fi live as well ? Another question would be , could I use it outdoor on sunny day setting 1/60, shooting 60p and getting some decent f-stop without needing extra ND filter to screw on manually? Also versions 2.0 are somehow always better (remember Sony VX cameras or Canon HV cameras, I used always those 2.0 versions ) , this is somehow version 1.0 from Canon so patience ? ...
    Quote Quote