VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I tried using DVDFab to rip a DVD of mine, the first disc ripped all 4 episodes fine. I'm looking for MP4 format, and I just used the default profile that was on there. The problem is the audio was crap, and then they wouldn't even play on my XBOX 360. I tried the other MP4 format, and had similar results. I thought DVDFab was supposed to be great, am I missing something?

I've used to rip DVD's a decade ago when I couldn't afford them, now I'm just trying to backup my collection and I would think after 10 years we could get some better results. Better results being MP4 that plays on most devices, audio that isn't flat, and a file size that is reasonable. Is there anything is there any software that people want to toss their hat in for? I've also heard about AnyDVD, but I thought I'd ask for opinions before I went through the whole process again.
    information wants to be free
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    use an actual encoder. maybe try vidcoder, it's an easy to use frontend for handbrake.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try this, (I use it, I like it) Freemake Video Converter it rips dvds(all mine so far) to xbox and other formats, new version just out. When you install it do custom install and uncheck the extra stuff that it wants to install.

Oh and I think this post should be in the dvd ripping section.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post
    new version just out. When you install it do custom install and uncheck the extra stuff that it wants to install.
    You didn't install 4.0.0.9 then?

The new version of Freemake Video Converter, 4.0.0.9, contains nothing extra at all.
    I hope this is a new trend to ditch the added junk (e.g. toolbars).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you D/L from their site you get the added extras in the installer, the link here is after the initial install and the actual program installer is D/Led to the temp folder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post
    If you D/L from their site you get the added extras in the installer
    Untrue.

I ALWAYS download the full installer from their site - http://www.freemake.com/offline/offline_all/

As I said earlier, 4.0.0.9 contains NO extras.

After choosing English, these are the remaining windows during the rest of the installation:

Last edited by mike20021969; 9th Apr 2013 at 08:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I'm talking about the average Joe who just goes to the D/L page to D/L it. Not everyone D/Ls it from a link at the bottom of the page, lol who would even know it was there ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our dvd ripping/converting section.

Just rip with dvdfab and convert the dvd folder to a mp4 with vidcoder as suggested.

But the xbox360 isn't the best media player.....
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by SetoTitan View Post
    I tried using DVDFab to rip a DVD of mine, the first disc ripped all 4 episodes fine. I'm looking for MP4 format, and I just used the default profile that was on there. The problem is the audio was crap, and then they wouldn't even play on my XBOX 360. I tried the other MP4 format, and had similar results. I thought DVDFab was supposed to be great, am I missing something?

I've used to rip DVD's a decade ago when I couldn't afford them, now I'm just trying to backup my collection and I would think after 10 years we could get some better results. Better results being MP4 that plays on most devices, audio that isn't flat, and a file size that is reasonable. Is there anything is there any software that people want to toss their hat in for? I've also heard about AnyDVD, but I thought I'd ask for opinions before I went through the whole process again.

Doesn't DVDFab have an option specifically for XBOX 360? FWIW you would also be better served with something like the WDTV Live or Roku for a media player (or a computer running VLC) than a gaming system such as the 360.
    Quote Quote