VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey guys,
    i am trying to hardcode(permanently overlay subtitles onto movie) subtitles onto an .mp4 movie on a Mac. I have tried to do this with jubler, handbrake, wondershare, Mkvmerge, subtitleeditor, and Submerge.

So far, no luck. For some reason though, in Submerge. I open the movie. Choose the .srt file for the Subs, and then(since theyre in farsi) choose Farsi for the encoding language. Then when i click "render" it gives me an error saying it wasnt able to complete it for some reason. it says its either not a text file or its not able to read the encoding language.

Does anyone know how i could do this? Any ideas would help me! And it HAS to be hardcoding, i cant soft sub because my sony blu ray player does not have the capability of playing subtitles when it is soft subbed. Please help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Perhaps MediaCoder. An example using a .srt file with UTF-8 encoding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W7YKVWL320
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MediaCoder is a Windows program, though. The OP is looking for a solution that works with a Mac.

AVIDemux may be able to do it; the thing is, I'm not sure whether or not the subtitle support is back up to par in the latest versions, after being temporarily removed in 2.6, if there's actually any builds of the most recent version for OS X, or if it would require the subs be saved in a Unicode format.
    Also, AVIDemux may take a bit of getting used to, and there may be a little effort required to get it to work under Lion or higher (assuming there still aren't any Lion-or-higher-specific builds...).

(...sorry; I haven't spent much time trying to use AVIDemux on my Mac. My Windows and Linux systems, yes, but that's more because they're the ones with all the RAM, HD space... and better yet, no finicky SuperDrive. :P)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, didn't know that. I was only basing that on what it says on VideoHelp's Tools page for it. Still, though, it does require running it through Wine on Linux and OS X. (I'm surprised they're not using Winebottler or something of the sort - Darwine's been deprecated, IIRC.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeah, well, I've never actually tried a Mac version .. just hoping it'll work as smoothly as a Windows version.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    Ah, didn't know that. I was only basing that on what it says on VideoHelp's Tools page for it. Still, though, it does require running it through Wine on Linux and OS X. (I'm surprised they're not using Winebottler or something of the sort - Darwine's been deprecated, IIRC.)
    That is I why I haven't added it to the mac tool section.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    That is I why I haven't added it to the mac tool section.
    I just looked that up myself, being mostly on linux now (I still have a barely used win7 partition).

To say that it comes in a linux version when it's actually a 32 bit windows version that you have to run in emulator mode isn't encouraging.

The reviews don't look so hot either.

As far as the OP's question goes, that does look like a language character set problem. I don't know of any encoders with a killer language pack. Sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah, it seems like a language encoding issue because the characters so up as something weird (kinda looks like greek or something). ill try MediaCoder, see how that goes.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    MediaCoder isn't able to open on my mac. I have used Jubler to save my subtitles as a UTF-8 file. Then i tried to use Submerge to merge them with an .mp4 movie. And i chose the encoding UTF-8. but when i played the movie, the subs showed up as weird symbols and stuff. Whats the issue here?! They are subs in farsi, so im guessing it isnt able to encode it properly due to this. But any fixes?
    Quote Quote