VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So this is pretty confusing.

I have a new Dell Precision M4700 running Windows 7. I'm not sure if the laptop came with Haali installed or not or if it was installed when I installed Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 or at some other point.

Now for whatever reason it is currently located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Haali\MatroskaSplitter.

However, DirectShow Filter Manager and some other codec information utilities point to it and indicate it should be in C:\Program Files\Haali\MatroskaSplitter

DSFM also indicates that at least the media splitter and media splitter (ar) are listed as a preferred codec.

It certainly seems like either my pointers are wrong or the files should be in a different folder?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Under 64 bit Windows: 32 bit programs go in /Program Files (x86)/, 64 bit programs in /Program Files/. 32 bit program can only access 32 bit filters/codecs. 64 bit programs can only access 64 bit filters/codecs.
    Last edited by jagabo; 5th Apr 2013 at 08:38.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Under 64 bit Windows: 32 bit programs go in /Program Files (x86)/, 64 bit programs in /Program Files/. 32 bit program can only access 32 bit filters/codecs. 64 bit programs can only access 64 bit filters/codecs.

Thanks Jagabo, I generally think I understand how that part works.

The problem I'm having is that for whatever reason Haali is in the 64 bit program files (/program files) area, though I believe it is a 32 bit program. Also, my codec analyzers keep saying it is located in the (/program files) area, rather than the /program files (x86) and seem to be indicating that any program looking for them is looking in the /program files area, where they are not located. Which would seem to make me think anything relying on finding them is not going to be able to. It almost seems like I should cut the folder and paste in into the x86 folder...

Does that make any sense?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just checked. Haali installs both 32 bit and 64 bit splitters (and a bunch of other stuff) in \Program Files (x86)\. It doesn't really matter where it puts them. As long as the system knows where they are.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I just checked. Haali installs both 32 bit and 64 bit splitters (and a bunch of other stuff) in \Program Files (x86)\. It doesn't really matter where it puts them. As long as the system knows where they are.
    I think that's my main concern, if the system knows where to find it. For example, all the registry items seem to point to: "C:\Program Files\Haali\MatroskaSplitter\splitter.ax", but the file is actually in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Haali\MatroskaSplitter"

I have this feeling that something installed them and put the pointers in the system to the wrong location...
    Quote Quote  
  6. So just uninstall Haali and reinstall it.

Or simply test it. Play an MKV file with a 32 bit player and a 64 bit player. If both of them use the installed splitter (you may have to disable internal MKV splitters) it's installed correctly.
    Quote Quote