VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. im trying to play my iso blu ray in my sony blu ray player using usb extrernal hard disk.
    but it can't be played directly, so i need to know the procedures to make it playable in my blu ray without any quality loss..
    im not familiar with a bunch of files in this iso..the only things that i think contain the video files is in bdmv folder and stream, there are lots of m2ts files split.
    at first i thought i have to join the files, but it failed..i have used tsmuxer and lots of other file joiner.
    at last i think i found the solution, by using makemkv software, it converts my iso directly to mkv format and i can play using my blu ray player,
    but somehow the size shrink to 24 gig from roughly 45 gig..
    the quality is still good, but i just want to know is there some kind of losses in my procedures.
    and is mkv a blu ray format?
    i want to play it without any quality loss and exactly as it is in iso.
    Quote Quote  
  2. btw even directly using powerDVD 12 to play it does not work, after i mount it using magic iso
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Makemkv doesn't reconvert. It just strips out the main movie with selected audio and subtitle tracks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. thanks man, so u are saying that what i have now is exactly like the file in the iso should be with no quality drop..
    i asked because the original size was way bigger before..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by minititan View Post
    at first i thought i have to join the files, but it failed..i have used tsmuxer and lots of other file joiner.
    at last i think i found the solution, by using makemkv software, it converts my iso directly to mkv format and i can play using my blu ray player,
    but somehow the size shrink to 24 gig from roughly 45 gig..
    You converted the original ISO to mkv format, thats the reason for the size shrink. Quality should be still very good because of the superior tech behind mkv/matroska (in plain terms).

The new file is no real iso anymore, its matroska/mkv format!
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  6. so is there any way that i can make this file playable with my blu ray without any size shrinking
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you have an ISO, you can either:
    1. Play it "as a disc" with players that support it
    2. Mount the ISO (discImage), so it looks like an actual disc (to whatever system is interacting with it), and play it.
    3. Extract the contents of the disc and either play or convert them.
    4. Burn the ISO to disc (NOT as a file, but as a discimage) and play the burned disc.

An ISO is not a MM file format, it is a mirror image of the full contents of a physical disc encapsulated in a file. Stop treating it as if it was just another AVI/MPG/MKV, etc.
    An ISO of a 1:1 ripped BD or DVD will be EXACTLY the same size as the original disc. If it isn't the same size, it's because you didn't do a 1:1 rip, you did a "Movie-Only" or similar rip, or a conversion. In those cases size usually shrinks (though, with 3DBD it could easily be larger).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. play it as a disc?
    thanks scott..could u teach me how...
    even after i mount it, it cant be played in my computer, power dvd said it was an unsupported format,.is it because my laptop can't read blu ray?
    tried extracting them, even that does not work or im doing it wrong..
    burning isn't an option as i have no blu ray burner and cd..
    Quote Quote  
  9. Once it's mounted use MPC-HC or VLC to play it.
    Last edited by smrpix; 30th Mar 2013 at 09:55.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by minititan View Post
    play it as a disc?
    thanks scott..could u teach me how...
    even after i mount it, it cant be played in my computer, power dvd said it was an unsupported format,.is it because my laptop can't read blu ray?
    tried extracting them, even that does not work or im doing it wrong..
    burning isn't an option as i have no blu ray burner and cd..

Use this prog. to mount iso: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Virtual-CloneDrive
    Quote Quote  
  11. i have tried playing using vlc after mounted, it failed..
    but im planning to play the file in my blu ray the way the format was without having it burned..
    the only thing that work now is makemkv....
    Quote Quote