FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jrny2IL View Post
    Here's how I would do this:
    1- Rip with makeMKV
    2- Use MKVtools to extract the .sup subtitle
    3- Use BD sup2Sub to convert the .sup to idx/sub (bd sup2sub is listed as a windows app, but is a .jar file and runs fine on Mac with java.)
    4- Use MKVmerge to add the idx/sub subtitle to your bd rip
    5-encode with handbrake, burn the idx/sub into your encode
    6-Use your choice of software to make the conversion to DVD

I use steps 1 through 5 to create forced sub mp4 files regularly. never fails.
    You would think that even with hard subs there should be a way to create a DVD that only requires the video to be re-encoded once, not twice as this method requires.

The OP prefers a DVD with soft subtitles, and there may to be a way to obtain that too. DVDStyler 2.4.2 lists .sub is one of the allowed subtitle options now, so it should in theory be possible to import idx/sub files (from step 3) into DVDStyler 2.4.2. If the colors displayed for the resulting subtitles are wrong, I think PgcEdit can correct the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can add soft subtitles to encoded MPEG2 movie as a separate, subtitle, track like it should be done so you can turn those on/off during playback of the authored DVD by using MPEG2 Works 5 too like it is explained here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    1- Rip with makeMKV
    3- Use BD sup2Sub to convert the .sup to idx/sub (bd sup2sub is listed as a windows app, but is a .jar file and runs fine on Mac with java.)

You would think that even with hard subs there should be a way to create a DVD that only requires the video to be re-encoded once, not twice as this method requires.

The OP prefers a DVD with soft subtitles, and there may to be a way to obtain that too. DVDStyler 2.4.2 lists .sub is one of the allowed subtitle options now, so it should in theory be possible to import idx/sub files (from step 3) into DVDStyler 2.4.2. If the colors displayed for the resulting subtitles are wrong, I think PgcEdit can correct the problem.
    And it works sometimes. The problem is that you have to rely on downloaded subtitle files, and 90% of them are rejected at the end of the transcoding process. There is no way to either extract suitable subtitles that I can find that the DVDStyler will accept, and there is no way to test the downloaded subtitles until the transcoder tries to mix them. When it fails, you lose your work and have to start over.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    1- Rip with makeMKV

And it works sometimes. The problem is that you have to rely on downloaded subtitle files, and 90% of them are rejected at the end of the transcoding process. There is no way to either extract suitable subtitles that I can find that the DVDStyler will accept, and there is no way to test the downloaded subtitles until the transcoder tries to mix them. When it fails, you lose your work and have to start over.
    To be clear, assuming Jrny2IL's method truly works as well as he said it does, I'm suggesting that you do the following to get an idx/sub file from your movie, instead of downloading srt subtitles:

1- Decrypt and convert your Blu-Ray movie to MKV with makeMKV
    3- Use BD sup2Sub to convert the .sup to idx/sub
    4- Add the idx/subs into DVDStyler 2.4.2, which is supposed to accept them. ...or if you like MPEG2 Works 5 better, there is no reason why you could not try using those idx/subs with it too.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Apr 2013 at 09:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

To be clear, assuming Jrny2IL's method truly works as well as he said it does, I'm suggesting that you do the following to get an idx/sub file from your movie, instead of downloading srt subtitles:

1- Decrypt and convert your Blu-Ray movie to MKV with makeMKV
    3- Use BD sup2Sub to convert the .sup to idx/sub
    4- Add the idx/subs into DVDStyler 2.4.2, which is supposed to accept them. ...or if you like MPEG2 Works 5 better, there is no reason why you could not try using those idx/subs with it too.
    I'll give it try in the next day or so. Thanks

I extracted the idx/sub using BDSup2Sub as described. It didn't work with DVDStyler as you can see. Next I'll try it with MPEG Works 5 and see what happens.

UPDATE:

Okay, so I transcoded the movie using M2W5 and then used it to input the extracted/converted sub files. The file was accepted and the process started but finished in about 10 seconds with the output being a 0 byte file. So then I downloaded an .srt file with the movie subtitles. Again input was accepted and this time it processed the file producing a movie with subtitles. The problem however is that the subtitles were several minutes out of sync with the movie. I'm not sure if that's the fault of the .srt file or M2W5. So far I still haven't found a working solution. The developer of M2W5 has been working with me to find a solution, and I'm confident that sooner or later this will happen.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Failed.png
Views:	280
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	17622  

Last edited by crjackson; 29th Apr 2013 at 19:42.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If the subtitle file is out of sync you should do the following .. First try to locate the subtitle file which is in exact the same fps as your .mpg .. Then open the subtitle file in freeware Jubler app and at the same time open .mpg in Quick Time player for example .. Now locate the first sub and the timing and check is it the same as in your opened .mpg .. If its not /it starts earlier or later/ then use Shift Time from Tools menu within Jubler to fix the timing - for example to recode subtitles to appear 2 seconds/minutes earlier .. Then save the fixed subtile file and try to mux it with .mpg you've encoded .. That method works for sure ..

MPEG2 Works 5 accepts following subtitle formats: .sub, .srt, .ssa .smi, .rt , .txt, .aqt, .jss, .js and .ass .. If you find or rip sub in some other format try to convert it with Jubler in .srt or .sub prior to load it for processing with M2W5.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SERBIAN View Post
    If the subtitle file is out of sync you should do the following .. First try to locate the subtitle file which is in exact the same fps as your .mpg .. Then open the subtitle file in freeware Jubler app and at the same time open .mpg in Quick Time player for example .. Now locate the first sub and the timing and check is it the same as in your opened .mpg .. If its not /it starts earlier or later/ then use Shift Time from Tools menu within Jubler to fix the timing - for example to recode subtitles to appear 2 seconds/minutes earlier .. Then save the fixed subtile file and try to mux it with .mpg you've encoded .. That method works for sure ..

MPEG2 Works 5 accepts following subtitle formats: .sub, .srt, .ssa .smi, .rt , .txt, .aqt, .jss, .js and .ass .. If you find or rip sub in some other format try to convert it with Jubler in .srt or .sub prior to load it for processing with M2W5.
    Okay, downloaded Jubler. I'll give it another try in a day or two... Thanks for the help...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, with much practice and help from SERBIAN I'm finally able to turn my BD movies into DVD movies with subtitles. The process for incorporating subtitles is still a little cumbersome (for me) but with some practice, I'm sure it won't feel that way very long. I really appreciate the people in this forum for being so helpful. I want to mention that I've never had direct help from a commercial software developer before, and it makes all the difference. Thanks for all the help SERBIAN... M2W5 has earned a permanent place on my HDD, and I can hardly wait for the next release that incorporates the subtitle automation.

Sent from my  iPad 3
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry to revive such an aging thread, but I felt this is relevant. I am now usung MKV files as my main storage format, and playing back from a 4TB USB drive connected to a WDTV Live media player.

I'm using MakeMKV to Rip and preserve the main movie/audio/subtitles. Playback is flawless as is quality. Most titles are kept at uncompressed quality and occupy 6-8 GB's on the HD. For titles that are ridiculesloly large, I use HandBrake to reduce the file size while preserving the subtitles. On my 1080p HDTV, rarely is there any video quality degradation noticed from HB compressed fils.

Actually, it's not rarely noticed, I've yet to notice degradation at all, but I'm sure there is some due to the nature of compression.

Also, I've found a decent method of putting the title on DVD for playback in the kid's rooms or living room. I load the MKV file into iFFmpeg and press the Make ISO button at the top of the main toolbar, then burn the disposable copy for the kids. It doesn't preserve the subtitles (probably would if I knew how) but the kids don't need them.

So far this has worked out to be a perfect solution not a compromise. Thanks to all who have helped...
    Last edited by crjackson; 14th Sep 2014 at 04:19.
    Quote Quote