VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking to replace my old Sony DV camcorder. I don't need anything too fancy, but want to understand what HD means to me. I use it for home video,- holidays etc and the occasional school play that a create DVDs for the school to sell. Traditionally these go on DVD, and I intend to keep doing so for the time being at least.

So my questions are:
    1080 or 1080p - will it make much difference now or in the future?

If I have a HD movie file and want to burn it to DVD I believe I have to convert the file first to the correct lower resolution? I'm guessing I can do this within the editing program by outputting it to the relevant file format?

Can I create better video quality on DVD's than with my DV camcorder, or is this only achieved using Blu-ray discs?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've found that some camcorders allow you to select recording mode, but I guess it means you have to decide one way or the other from the outset of the recording. eg:

HD : Quality Records movies in high definition image quality (HD). Enjoy beautiful images on a big screen.
    MP4 : Records movies in the MP4 format. This format is easy for playing back your movies on a smartphone, for uploading to a network or for uploading to the Web.
    STD Quality : Records movies in standard definition image quality (STD). This is useful for saving your movies to a DVD.

If it helps, I am looking at the Sony PJ220 and the PJ200.
    Last edited by tecstar; 28th Mar 2013 at 09:42.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by tecstar View Post
    1080 or 1080p - will it make much difference now or in the future?
    Technically yes, as a practical matter don't worry about it with low-end cameras.

Originally Posted by tecstar View Post
    If I have a HD movie file and want to burn it to DVD I believe I have to convert the file first to the correct lower resolution? I'm guessing I can do this within the editing program by outputting it to the relevant file format?
    Yes

Can I create better video quality on DVD's than with my DV camcorder, or is this only achieved using Blu-ray discs?
    You are starting with a better quality image to begin with so you should see SOME improvement on DVDs. But DVD spec is standard def. When you first see your pristine HD footage downconverted for DVD you will cry -- but it's still a nearly universal delivery medium. Mediaplayers or Blu Rays can maintain the HD.

EDIT: I've found that some camcorders allow you to select recording mode, but I guess it means you have to decide one way or the other from the outset of the recording. eg:

HD : Quality Records movies in high definition image quality (HD). Enjoy beautiful images on a big screen.
    MP4 : Records movies in the MP4 format. This format is easy for playing back your movies on a smartphone, for uploading to a network or for uploading to the Web.
    STD Quality : Records movies in standard definition image quality (STD). This is useful for saving your movies to a DVD.
    You can change the settings any time the camera is not actually recording. Keep it in an HD mode. Remember you can always convert down when you edit. (Technically you can convert up as well -- but don't)

If it helps, I am looking at the Sony PJ220 and the PJ200.
    Those are low priced cameras and they're fine for everyday "home video" use. Do you really need the projector gimmick?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your comments. So for what I am going to use it for I shouldn't worry about 1080p?
    I could get away without the projector but when I compare prices and specs it seems silly not to get it anyway.
    I've heard that when you record to memory cards it can jump/glitch once you hit the 2gb file size limit. Is this something to look out for? Will the memory card I get make a difference?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by tecstar View Post
    I've heard that when you record to memory cards it can jump/glitch once you hit the 2gb file size limit. Is this something to look out for? Will the memory card I get make a difference?
    From personal experience I've never had a problem with a similar (not identical) sony. But I also rarely do takes long enough to find out. Any good quality SDHC disk should work, you don't need the most expensive, but don't be a cheapskate either. I use mainly 8GB and 16GB disks because it limits the losses should a larger disk fail.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I normally use San Disk. If you had to pick one feature, would it be CMOS size?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by tecstar View Post
    If you had to pick one feature, would it be CMOS size?
    It's always a balancing act.

Try "narrow results" on the bhphotovideo site to see what's important for you.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Camcorders/ci/1871/N/4294548093
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would advise you to get a Canon HF G20.

The whole industry is gradually moving to 4K resolution, so you don't want to inch forward.

And Sony only makes cameras because they bought Minolta in a bankruptcy, so they rebranded the company to Sony. But there's a reason Minolta went kaput, their cameras copied others.

Canon is the longstanding leader. Canon survived by sticking with rock solid features. Sony exaggerates and brands the wording so you can't compare easily. Like all buzzwords.

Sony wants you to buy their "style", as if they're Italian or something. I mean really, we're talking BLING, right? Sony puts major bling all over the camera, box, bag, and it's mostly slogans and buzzwords.

And then there's more. Surprise! Somehow the Sony video files don't work in some of your software, especially Apple, but it's a mystery. I use a Sony NLE, and I still wouldn't buy a camera from Sony.

That's just my 2-cent's, there, steamboat.
    Last edited by budwzr; 28th Mar 2013 at 22:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @budwzr, Minolta was a Leader in Camera technology for years, but they drowned because they were too late to the Digital bandwagon (and I have it on good authority that they overextended themselves with the merger and also got sued for patent infringement by Xerox or somebody, which greatly influenced their downfall).
    I still have my trusty SRT-201 SLR, the "workhorse of the Vietnam war", which I bought quite used at a pawn shop in 1979 and it still works like a charm - in every feature (though the viewfinder has a buildup of dust specs in it that I can no longer remove). Too bad the last analog-film-based shoot I did was in ~2009 (and that was to help train my daughters).

Sony has been making great pro cams for a LONG time, I think you are mixing them up with their consumer cams. And for consumers, I'm not surprised they're going for "bling".

@tecstar, I would never base all my decisions for equipment on just one feature. You've got to look at the whole system:
    1. Optics
    2. Sensor
    3. Recording & transfer methods
    4. Form factor
    5. Interoperability with your other equipment
    6. Options & advanced, specialty features & availability for add-ons
    7. Ruggedness/Handling
    8. Price

@smrpx, I've found that you should ALWAYS go for the gold-standard higher-rated cards. They transfer faster, fail less often, and can handle higher quality/bitrate stuff more easily. Then I don't have to think about that part of the equation. You get what you pay for.

The problem with HD compared to SD is the greater burden placed on one's PC (so a need for more capable/powerful machine), and the difficulties with the logistics (and quality) of editing HD material when they are primarily recorded using Inter-frame Compression (GOPs) compared to Pro cams or SD cams which record Intra-frame. It's a "gotcha" that you notice after the fact, once you've bought the camera, taken it home and shot stuff, and then decide you want to do more than just use/show single clips.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    @budwzr, Minolta was a Leader in Camera technology for years, but they drowned because they were too late to the Digital bandwagon ...
    I know Minolta was supposed to have the better lenses.

I know Sony broadcast cameras are popular, and so are the Sony consumer camcorders, because of all the stickers they put on them. Like Apple, it looks slick, it's flashy and thin, but under the hood is a minibike or gokart.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...I've heard that when you record to memory cards it can jump/glitch once you hit the 2gb file size limit. Is this something to look out for? Will the memory card I get make a difference?
    During recording, an AVCHD camcorder creates a new file whenever the start/stop button is pressed and/or the current file goes over 2GB. A folder structure is created on the SD card; the contents of /AVCHD/BDMV/CLIPINF, together with the *.BDM files, describe the contents of the /STREAM folder, which are the actual *.MTS or *.MT2S media files that were recorded. After fishing out consecutive individual *.MTS files onto a NLE timeline, there are possible glitches where they are joined as most everyone notices. But if the entire /AVCHD folder was copied onto the editing computer hard drive, and a NLE program that recognizes the /CLIPINF and *.BDM files is used (such as Premiere Pro), the 2GB chunks that were shot in one take are seamlessly presented as that one big file, no glitches.
    But personally, I like that continuous shoots on AVCHD camcorders are recorded in 2GB chunks. During editing, it's infinitely easier moving these chunks around on the timeline to sync them near-perfectly with externally-recorded audio.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  11. Sony has been making great pro cams for a LONG time, I think you are mixing them up with their consumer cams. And for consumers, I'm not surprised they're going for "bling".
    Very, very true.
    Quote Quote  
  12. To get a digital camera that can do vids or a Camcorder that can do stills is the question.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all. I ended up getting a Panasonic HC V500.
    Quote Quote