VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I use MKVMerge to split large mkv files so that I can put the video on a FAT32 flash drive and play it with my Sony BD player. Never had an issue of replaying properly - until now. I have tried multiple times to split this particular 8.5GB file down to three 2.9GB parts. I link each of the parts for seamless replay (at least near seamless). But, with this video when the first part ends and the second part begins I loose the video while the audio works. Same if I try to start with part 2 or part 3, I only get the audio. Only part 1 properly replays the video and audio components. Also, if I play the three part version on my computer there is no issue as all works as expected.

Does anyone have an idea what may cause this?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does the splitted parts work on your computer?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Does the splitted parts work on your computer?
    Yes, it works correctly on my computer. Any thoughts?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just reformat your flash drive to ntfs format and put the whole file there with out splitting it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to give the split method another try, this product gets mentioned often on this forum:
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/SolveigMM-AVI-Trimmer
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes, it works correctly on my computer. Any thoughts?
    Problem might simply be that due to the inherent remuxing during the splitting some container tags changed, see: https://trac.bunkus.org/wiki/FAQ%3AImprovingPlaybackCompatibilityWithPlayers to figure out which settings might be the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Just reformat your flash drive to ntfs format and put the whole file there with out splitting it.
    johns0

Thanks for obvious solution. For some reason I had it in my mind that the BD player required FAT32 formatting on the flash drive. I looked where I thought I had seen that spec, but couldn't find it again so reformatted the flash drive to NTFS and it works perfect.

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote