VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Up until recently I've been burning most of the CDs I still make for my truck from FLAC files using Nero 9. I just tried to burn one from a set of M4A files I had made using dbPowerAmp and the Nero AAC codec. Nero 9 crashes every time I try to load one of these files. They play fine in all programs I've tried and burn fine in Burrrn as well. I've tried several decoders in the Nero plugins folder with no success. I'm using a combination of MadVR and LAV Filters for most of my directshow decoding. I previously had FFDSHOW so maybe the change in filters is causing an issue? Any input is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nero should have given you an error log and that might give you some clues.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1) Try reinstalling Nero. Sometimes it just gets flakey until you reinstall.
    2) If that doesn't work, install the free ImgBurn. It can burn audio CDs and convert various formats to standard audio CD. But... you need to search for a guide on how to burn a true audio CD with it because if you just wing it, there's a chance that you'll end up burning a data disc. I don't use ImgBurn for audio CDs (I actually use Nero for that because I prefer Nero's interface and options for this task) so all I can tell you is that I looked it up once and I felt that it was fairly non-intuitive to get it to burn a true audio CD instead of a data disc, but it can do it.

One more thought - can you rename your M4A files to end in AAC instead? Nero may be having problems with that M4A name.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry - another "one more thought". Humor me. Rename the files to AAC. Don't post back about how "I know that M4A is OK because blah blah blah". Just do it. Rename one and see if it fixes the issue. It's easy enough to rename one file and test this and if it fixes your problem, that's easy and fast and requires no reinstall or installation of a new program.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I renamed one of the files to an aac extension. Nero crashed with some odd error about a 2 second minimum file length. Then it restarted itself. I tried it again and it loads the aac file fine. It still doesn't like M4A though.

Where would the Nero log file be located? I've checked the program folders and the AppData folders to do avail so far.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth View Post
    I renamed one of the files to an aac extension. Nero crashed with some odd error about a 2 second minimum file length. Then it restarted itself. I tried it again and it loads the aac file fine. It still doesn't like M4A though.

Where would the Nero log file be located? I've checked the program folders and the AppData folders to do avail so far.
    If renaming fixed your problem, then YOU ARE DONE. Why are you still trying to "fix" this when I gave you the fix already? I will leave you alone now to continue to beat your head against a wall for no reason.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nero log location, W7: Program Files>Nero>Nero 7>Core>NeroHistory

One explanation of interpreting the log: http://forum.digital-digest.com/f57/faq-burning-nero-failed-some-clues-why-45942.html

The log may not help you, but I usually find some errors that point in the right direction there. You can also post the entire log here if you like.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth View Post
    I renamed one of the files to an aac extension. Nero crashed with some odd error about a 2 second minimum file length. Then it restarted itself. I tried it again and it loads the aac file fine. It still doesn't like M4A though.

If renaming fixed your problem, then YOU ARE DONE. Why are you still trying to "fix" this when I gave you the fix already? I will leave you alone now to continue to beat your head against a wall for no reason.
    Renaming the files works, but it isn't a fix. It's a work around. I have thousands of M4A files that I'd rather not go through and rename. I'd rather get Nero working correctly. For now I'll use Burrn to make a disc if I need to.

No such folders seem to exist for the log files in Nero 9. I'll just try reinstalling it if I can ever find my original installers.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I just tried this again on Nero 11 with the same results. FLAC wouldn't load either until I added the nxmyfla.dll file to the plugin folder. Then it opened FLAC fine. Adding the nxmyacc.dll files lets it open AAC fine but still not M4A even though it's listed as a supported format. I'll figure it out eventually.
    Quote Quote