VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. In MPC-HC, if I switch to VMR9 (renderless), there is video tearing, but subtitles are displayed (by the internal DirectVobSub filter integrated into MPC-HC).

If I switch to VMR9 (windowed), there is absolutely no video tearing, but subtitles cannot be displayed (except if I install the external DirectVobSub filter).

I would have preferred to use the internal DirectVobSub filter that is integrated into MPC-HC, but without video tearing. What could be the reason for video tearing when VMR9 (renderless) is selected ?

Could it be the graphics processor ? I use Nvidia Geforce 6150 SE, with the nvidia driver version 306.81 installed. Or could it be the version of the operating system ? I use Windows XP Professional SP3, and MPC-HC version 1.6.6.6957 (3975d54).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try this:

Open mpc-hc options > click subtitles > under texture settings disable both "allow animation when buffering" and "Round up to power of two".

Then restart mpc-hc and play a video with subs, to check if it fixes things.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try the alternate vsync option.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've just discovered that there is video tearing with VMR9 (windowed), but very little of it.

Only VMR7 (windowed) plus the external DirectVobSub filter, is absolutely tearing-free. It is very stable, just like it says in it's tooltip in MPC-HC.

VMR7 (renderless) causes frame drops. It's like video pauses for 500ms or 1 sec, while audio still plays back without any pause.
    Quote Quote  
  5. @ jagabo: already tried "Alternative VSync" (and after I enabled it, I restarted mpc-hc) and it seems to minimize tearing, but it doesn't eliminate it completely.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Did you find a solution to your problem? I have an almost identical situation going on, video tearing when choosing renderless options (VMR7/9) in either MPC-HC or GOMplayer. It gets a bit better with alternate vsync in MPC, but no such option in GOM. I just set up this desktop (nVidia GTX760, XP-32/Win7-64). And I haven't even tested how video is displayed on games yet. I played around with all players settings and nvidia vsync settings but to no avail. I will settle for VMR7 windowed for the time being since its the smoothest.

Funny thing is there is no tearing in my ten-year old desktop (w/ nVidia FX5600, XP-32) connected to the same monitor with VMR9 renderless option at GOM, only some frame drops with VMR7 renderless. Worth noting that I got an earlier-than-june-2010 DX9.0c version on that machine.

What could be causing this? The nvidia drivers or some conflict with the latest 9.0c directx files?
    Last edited by TechSmurfy; 22nd Oct 2013 at 21:18.
    Quote Quote