VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I went to archive some VHS today and I haven't used my VCR in quite some time. I noticed a problem on the left side of the screen that has, what appears to be, some red and blue video noise running vertically down the picture. Any idea what this is? Is it just the VCR crapping out on me finally? I tried cleaning the heads but this looks more to be a different issue.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2013-03-17-12h06m39s164.png
Views:	1200
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	16795
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see anything in your png but it sounds like Hollywood's Macrovision. Try another tape.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
    I don't see anything in your png but it sounds like Hollywood's Macrovision. Try another tape.
    It's certainly not macrovision. I wasn't using a store bought tape.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I see the "rainbow" at the left edge of the frame. Lightened and saturation pumped up:

Click image for larger version

Name:	rainbow.jpg
Views:	1641
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	16808

I don't know the cause. Maybe some ringing in the chroma channels as the luma goes from Y=0 to Y=16 at the edge. That doesn't seem like the kind of thing aging electronics would cause. Is it there only when the frame is black?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I see the "rainbow" at the left edge of the frame. Lightened and saturation pumped up:

[Attachment 16808 - Click to enlarge]

I don't know the cause. Maybe some ringing in the chroma channels as the luma goes from Y=0 to Y=16 at the edge. That doesn't seem like the kind of thing aging electronics would cause. Is it there only when the frame is black?
    It's mostly noticeable when the screen is black but it's still there when there's actual video playing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. pal vcr playing ntsc tape ?

I've witnessed this before with a brand new standard vcr , except it was a large vertical green bar in the middle of the image. All the ntsc tapes i played with it had such defect (retail or home tapes didn't matter.. so not macrovision)
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. Nope. It's an NTSC VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I know it's been a while but does anyone have any more suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc View Post
    I know it's been a while but does anyone have any more suggestions?
    I'd suggest stop dishing out information from an eyedropper.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I know it's been a while but does anyone have any more suggestions?
    I'd suggest stop dishing out information from an eyedropper.
    ????
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is this happening with all tapes, or even with all VCRs?

If we can at least determine the source of the problem (tape/VCR/capture sw/etc) it would help lots in pinpointing the problem.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post

If we can at least determine the source of the problem (tape/VCR/capture sw/etc) it would help lots in pinpointing the problem.
    As I said in the first post, just this VCR. ALL tapes.

I was presented with a theory on AVSforum that it might be damage done by the electrical current.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was presented with a theory on AVSforum that it might be damage done by the electrical current.
    Yes, indeed, but it could also be due to an old, poorly-shielded video cable, or even a magnetic field too close to the VCR or monitor. Change out your RCA cables and check the integrity of the connections. Move the VCR to a different spot. If the problem persists, then it's probably an internal issue in the VCR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post

As I said in the first post, just this VCR. ALL tapes.
    Sure, but it wasn't clear to me if you did indeed try different VCRs in the same capture chain and using the same capture software.

Also, sometimes when we test different VCRs, we forget that we also test any cable along with them, and can blame an artifact on the VCR when it might be the cable attached to it. It's happened to me. I even once almost replaced a monitor before it occurred to me that the cable went bad (which was the case).

As per filmboss80's post, I would try different cables. I too suspect this could be a possible reason after looking closely at your pic.

Since it's the same with all tapes, if other VCRs don't produce this artifact, with the same cable(s), then it is indeed your VCR.

Another thing you can try: Not sure here, but did you find this artifact only with your capture setup/software? Did you also test this VCR on a regular TV too? You'd be surprised how the signal can differ.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't know the cause. Maybe some ringing in the chroma channels
    I've seen this before.
    It can be the VCR, or the interplay between a VCR and a tape (yet neither tape nor VCR has issues alone).

But it could be other things. It's an error I hate.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The VCR model number whould help.

If this vcr has on screen display do you see it? Would eliminate video output connection problem.

If this vcr has no on screen display and you connect a signal to it, do you see video? Same as above.

If this vcr has 4 heads and you do a fast search, do you see any video? If so, you may have a bad head.

If you record a tape on this vcr and play back on another vcr, does the recording work? If so, then the heads are good.
    Quote Quote