VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. En Taro Lawllmaster lawllmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Whenever I change a video file into an mp4, it's size increases 2-3 times, although I set it to the same bitrate. Shouldn't this keep the file size same, and not increase it unnecessarily?

Please help, I am running out of HDD space! :/

Oh, and I'm converting the videos to run on an Apple TV, so don't say use a different format.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What do you convert with?

Try something else like handbrake, vidcoder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by lawllmaster View Post
    Shouldn't this keep the file size same...?
    Yes, if the output length is the same as the source length. Have you checked? And the audio is the same before and after?

You didn't say what program you're using. You didn't say how you're determining the source bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Check source and converted with MediaInfo. And are you sure you need to re-encode. From this post

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/354399-Adding-subtitles-to-mp4-file-for-Apple-TV-(3rd-Gen-)-use

it looks like you are using x.264 encoded video in wich case you may just re-mux your source file ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. En Taro Lawllmaster lawllmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Check source and converted with MediaInfo. And are you sure you need to re-encode. From this post

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/354399-Adding-subtitles-to-mp4-file-for-Apple-TV-(3rd-Gen-)-use

it looks like you are using x.264 encoded video in wich case you may just re-mux your source file ?
    You're probably right... But using PotEncoder, adding subs is much easier and practically supports almost all video formats.

And I checked output file's and source file's bitrates. Apparently the output file had a much higher bitrate (wth?).
    Quote Quote  
  6. En Taro Lawllmaster lawllmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by lawllmaster View Post
    Shouldn't this keep the file size same...?
    Yes, if the output length is the same as the source length. Have you checked? And the audio is the same before and after?

You didn't say what program you're using. You didn't say how you're determining the source bitrate.
    I used PotEncoder, and the audio has a lower bitrate than the source file.

I'm not sure about the source length, but I do know this: the output file's bitrates were higher than those of the source's. Could this be the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lawllmaster View Post
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Check source and converted with MediaInfo. And are you sure you need to re-encode. From this post

You're probably right... But using PotEncoder, adding subs is much easier and practically supports almost all video formats.

And I checked output file's and source file's bitrates. Apparently the output file had a much higher bitrate (wth?).
    Just a thought. In your PotEncoder post, you say 'I am using H.264 to encode BD-quality video with subtitles in this pic'. No offense but are you converting like-for-like resolution? You're sure you're not unintentionally up-scaling? Obviously, I don't know the original size of the source files...just hazarding a guess. Feel free to shoot me down
    Quote Quote  
  8. En Taro Lawllmaster lawllmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I did not upscale, and here's what MediaInfo says:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	source.PNG
Views:	293
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	16760Click image for larger version

Name:	output.PNG
Views:	259
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	16759
    The 1st pic is the source, the 2nd pic is the output. You can clearly see the bitrate has skyrocketed... Maybe this is the problem? But it's funny, cuz I didn't change anything (frame size, fps, audio quality, etc) :/
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes that's the problem

filesize = bitrate * running time
    Quote Quote  
  10. En Taro Lawllmaster lawllmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Yes that's the problem

But I never increased the bitrate when I re-encoded the video.... Any ideas to why it increased in the first place?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by lawllmaster View Post
    Yes that's the problem

But I never increased the bitrate when I re-encoded the video.... Any ideas to why it increased in the first place?

maybe the program isn't very good or has bugs ? I've never used PotEncoder, but if you entered the same old bitrate, it looks like it's not meeting the target you set
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by lawllmaster View Post
    Did you even enter a bitrate? Maybe it has some sort of default value it uses if you don't enter one. Or maybe you did a 1-pass CRF encode for a specific quality. In such cases the bitrate can be virtually anything. We can't tell you what you did.
    Quote Quote  
  13. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Time to buy-and-use USB sticks / DVD-Rs / another HDD.
    Quote Quote  
  14. En Taro Lawllmaster lawllmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I used a 1-pass VBR encoding, which encodes by quality, not bitrates. But there is an option for CBR, which encodes by bitrate. I think I'll try that out.
    Quote Quote  
  15. En Taro Lawllmaster lawllmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes that's the problem

maybe the program isn't very good or has bugs ? I've never used PotEncoder, but if you entered the same old bitrate, it looks like it's not meeting the target you set
    Likely coz I used VBR to encode (which determines quality by % you set and not bitrate), I shall try CBR, which encodes by a set bitrate
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by lawllmaster View Post
    Likely coz I used VBR to encode (which determines quality by % you set and not bitrate)
    Nonsense. If if this program allows you to choose a percent then likely it's some sort of CRF or quality-based encoding, which I mentioned as a possibility in my last post. If you want a smaller size, choose a lower percent. You chose 100%, maybe? CBR encoding is not what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by lawllmaster View Post
    I used VBR to encode (which determines quality by %
    Then there's your problem -- percent doesn't mean percent of the original file size. Use a lower quality setting if you want a lower bitrate (smaller file). Or use bitrate based encoding and the specify the same bitrate as the original.
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Mar 2013 at 14:41.
    Quote Quote  
  18. En Taro Lawllmaster lawllmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Likely coz I used VBR to encode (which determines quality by % you set and not bitrate)
    Nonsense. If if this program allows you to choose a percent then likely it's some sort of CRF or quality-based encoding, which I mentioned as a possibility in my last post. If you want a smaller size, choose a lower percent. You chose 100%, maybe? CBR encoding is not what you want.
    Isn't there any way to have full quality and have same (or mildly large) file size?
    Quote Quote  
  19. En Taro Lawllmaster lawllmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Then there's your problem -- percent doesn't mean percent of the original file size. Use a lower quality setting if you want a lower bitrate (smaller file). Or use bitrate based encoding and the specify the same bitrate as the original.
    No offense, but I know it doesn't mean file size. And I want full quality, but same or mildly large file size. Is there no way to achieve this?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Not while you're determined to hang on to that program!
    The problem is, nobody uses it (until you wrote the 'How To' I hadn't even heard of it) so any advice on how to accomplish what is you're trying to accomplish is going to be small or non-existent.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by lawllmaster View Post
    No offense, but I know it doesn't mean file size. And I want full quality, but same or mildly large file size. Is there no way to achieve this?

For full quality, same size => leave it as is

Even when the size is 3-4x larger, the quality DECREASES when you re-encode with a lossy codec

The best advice in this thread for full quality:

Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Quote Quote  
  22. En Taro Lawllmaster lawllmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    Not while you're determined to hang on to that program!
    The problem is, nobody uses it (until you wrote the 'How To' I hadn't even heard of it) so any advice on how to accomplish what is you're trying to accomplish is going to be small or non-existent.
    I'll try using different encoders then. :P
    Quote Quote  
  23. En Taro Lawllmaster lawllmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM

For full quality, same size => leave it as is

Even when the size is 3-4x larger, the quality DECREASES when you re-encode with a lossy codec

The best advice in this thread for full quality:

Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    I guess it's time to head on to an electronics shop and get some 3TB drives...
    Quote Quote  
  24. I downloaded PotEncoder. Can't make head nor tail of it, but in the advanced setting (i think that's what it is) is an option for 'direct stream copy'. I am not sure if that works with the subs though, or if it even helps at all. You could give it a shot. The real problem with these type of programs is that while it's good of you to provide a guide, if an error message or warning pops up the rest of us are fooked.

For the record, it has a nice layout and 'feel' to it. Just wish there was a language setting. :P
    Last edited by transporterfan; 16th Mar 2013 at 07:44.
    Quote Quote  
  25. En Taro Lawllmaster lawllmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    I downloaded PotEncoder. Can't make head nor tale of it, but in the advanced setting (i think that's what it is) is an option for 'direct stream copy'. I am not sure if that works with the subs though, or if it even helps at all. You could give it a shot. The real problem with these type of programs is that while it's good of you to provide a guide, if an error message or warning pops up the rest of us are fooked.

For the record, it has a nice layout and 'feel' to it. Just wish there was a language setting. :P
    I understand. I will look into the Direct stream Copy option soon... as for the language problem, I will be posting a detailed guide on how to use it. It's such a great program, I really wish I could share it with you guys at VideoHelp. Cheers, and thanks for the tip!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by lawllmaster View Post
    I will look into the Direct stream Copy option soon...
    Direct Stream Copy will only remux with soft subs (ie, subs that the player overlays while playing, that can be switched on and off). It will not burn the subs into the picture (making them permanent) and reencode. I don't know if that's what you are looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  27. En Taro Lawllmaster lawllmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I will look into the Direct stream Copy option soon...
    Direct Stream Copy will only remux with soft subs (ie, subs that the player overlays while playing, that can be switched on and off). It will not burn the subs into the picture (making them permanent) and reencode. I don't know if that's what you are looking for.

I am looking for soft subs, since I want to use on an Apple TV, but don't want to sacrifice quality. Thanks for the concern!
    Quote Quote  
  28. En Taro Lawllmaster lawllmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The Direct Stream Copy only outputs avi, mkv, and wmv formats, so it's no good...
    Quote Quote  
  29. MKV is halfway there. This is why I don't like Apple products. If you can get the sub file into the MKV try:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/340675-Mkv%D0%A2%D0%BEMp4-v0-222-rapid-tool-for-rep...v-to-Mp4/page3
    Quote Quote  
  30. What soft sub formats are supported by MP4?
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th Mar 2013 at 07:01.
    Quote Quote