VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. greetings, would like to capture about 1 second clips from films and create a montage film of the 1 sec or so clips. i am so new at video all i know how to do really well is spend money and i'm poor at that

source would be typical dvd movies, movies on video rental services over the net (like amazon prime) and other

my hardware and software resources: macbook pro, final cut express 4.0

my project does not need to be fancy, just functional. end goal is posting on youtube
    thank you for assistance
    Quote Quote  
  2. At 1 sec each? It would be easier, quicker and less time consuming screen capturing images off Google, putting them on a timeline in Movie Maker and adding a music track. Make all slides on the track one second long. Cost? Nothing, unless you get sued for copyright, which you're more likely to suffer if you use video clips.

Or grab stills using MPC-HC or VLC.
    Last edited by transporterfan; 10th Mar 2013 at 03:10.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try VLC, open the dvd, use the red record button or Command + Shift + R to save a very short clip. Open the clip in latest mpeg streamclip beta, export to quicktime and import in fcp.

See for example http://www.aimersoft.com/how-to-backup/copy-dvd-with-vlc.html and http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/how-to-bring-a-dvd-video-file-into-final-cut-pro-x/ (open the mpg/ts file from vlc instead of the entire dvd)
    Quote Quote  
  4. thank you for your help. i have done as advised, captured short clips in VLC and tried to convert them in mpeg streamclip which then provides other road blocks. VLC wants some additional software which is not available on the web site it directs. is there not one program for mac that captures video/audio from film (wherever the source), that can then edit it down and put it together in a montage? although i know almost nothing about video editing, i would guess this is a simple project that requires me to take many modes of transportation to get across the street
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's not simple because you are trying to extract material from a structured, long-gop, compressed, slow-seeking, copy-protected source in order to begin to use it. Your description is fairly accurate.

In other words, you aren't doing anything wrong.
    Last edited by smrpix; 21st Aug 2013 at 13:22.
    Quote Quote  
  6. excellent! thank you for a good laugh, smrpix! my degree is in political science. i didn't know media editing had so much politics. so, i found U2Any convertor -freeware- and used it to convert the 3 second .mpg clip captured from a film using VLC into .mov which i then imported into final cut express. and there, somewhere between the 3rd and 4th day of Creation, i found my clip, playing in FCE. now i just need to trial and error into cutting down to the 1 second i want. and then adding the 1 second .mov clip to other 1 second edited .mov clips to create a montage

after doing that, i am guessing i will have a montage of 1 second clips all in one .mov
    then i imagine i have to fool around with that before it can be uploaded to the almighty youtube
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by waywardtom View Post
    then i imagine i have to fool around with that before it can be uploaded to the almighty youtube
    Which may not allow it because much (all?) of the material is copyrighted and the video will set off alarm bells.
    Quote Quote