VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a re-occurring problem. It's my fault but I was wondering if there was a quick fix for it.

When I run a VOB thru MKVToolNix it automatically converts the Video to 59.9. Don't know why it picks 59.9 it just does.

Most of the time I remember that so in MMG.exe I select the frame rate option and manually change it to 23.9 or 29.9 depending on what the VOB was originally.

Problem is sometimes I forget so when I introduce the now sort of reconverted to MKV vob file into Handbrake or VBidCoder it converts the file to H264 @ 59.9.

My media players will not play 59.9fps. If I use MMGeto re change the new file to to 29.9 the 2 hr movie is now 4hr and playes at half speed So I'll just re-do the whole process.

Is there an easy way to fix it?

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    When I run a VOB thru MKVToolNix it automatically converts the Video to 59.9.
    I know it's not your question, but why do that in the first place? I see more and more people sticking MPEG-2 video inside of MKV and I have no idea why. Anyway, all NTSC DVD video outputs 59.94 fields per second so maybe that's where the figure comes from.
    Most of the time I remember that so in MMG.exe I select the frame rate option and manually change it to 23.9 or 29.9 depending on what the VOB was originally.
    Does this MMG IVTC? Because, once again, all NTSC DVD video is output at 59.94 fields per second. Put another way that's interlaced 29.9fps. However, if there's a movie inside there, after removal of the pulldown it should return to 23.976fps
    Is there an easy way to fix it?
    Maybe extract the VOB back out of the MKV before further encoding?

Don't put an DVD in an MKV container to begin with? If you are doing this because it'll make a single file for playback on some player, wouldn't VOB2MPG or VOBMerge be better choices?

Maybe others can help more but I don't quite understand the rationale behind what you did. I'm sure there's a good reason.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    Don't put an DVD in an MKV container to begin with? If you are doing this because it'll make a single file for playback on some player, wouldn't VOB2MPG or VOBMerge be better choices?

Maybe others can help more but I don't quite understand the rationale behind what you did. I'm sure there's a good reason.
    This is maybe a bit offtopic but if the poster is trying to play this on an android player here is a player to look into:

Daroon Player

It can load a whole video_ts folder and play it like a regular dvd. No conversion needed.

Also if you have a bunch of vob files that are single content only - in other words one video per vob file - try playing that in your stock video player. Chances are it will play it just fine so long as your tablet is relatively recent and relatively powerful - probably dual core or better.

Again this is for an android tablet. Don't know if there is any equivalent for an ipad.

Sorry for the slight detour but there you go.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    When I run a VOB thru MKVToolNix it automatically converts the Video to 59.9. Don't know why it picks 59.9 it just does.
    Since MkvToolNix only remuxes, and a VOB can't contain 59.94 fps video, the MKV is probably not 59.94 frames per second. It's 29.97 frames per second, interlaced -- 59.94 fields per second. Whatever tool your using to view the properties is probably reporting it wrong.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Mar 2013 at 22:40.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Manonos question:

know it's not your question, but why do that in the first place? I see more and more people sticking MPEG-2 video inside of MKV and I have no idea why. Anyway, all NTSC DVD video outputs 59.94 fields per second so maybe that's where the figure comes from.
    I don't do it that often. The only time I do it is when I want to change the chapter structure before I change the mpg2 to H264.

MKVToolNix allows me to stick the new chapters into the resulting VOB to mkv conversion in just a few seconds.

If Handbrake or VidCoder allows for Chapter insertions I wouldn't convert the vob to mkv before the mpg to H264 conversion.

As to jagabos response. It answers my question as to why the auto 59.9.

So without having to re-do the conversion, is there any easy way to get it back to something my media player will play.

If not, it's okay. As I mentioned above, It's my fault it happens. Without thinking I sometimes just forget to make sure that the MKV is listed as 29.9 or 23.9. When I remember. Which is most of the time. Everything works out fine.

I just thought that since this has been a re-occurring problem I would just check to see If there was any easy fix

So thanks much for the responses.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  6. What does MediaInfo say about your MKV file?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mediainfo lists the Vob as 23.9. MKVtool nix sort of changes the Vob. It converts to 59.9 unless I specify otherwise.
    The 59.9 resulting MKV lists as 59.9 in Mediainfo and it plays fine in VLC.

Once the 59.9 MKV is inserted into Vidcoder it converts the 59.9mpg MKV to a 59.9 H264. That file will list as 59.9 in MediaInfo. and will play at half speed in VLC.

I suppose I wouldn't have the problem if I remembered to do it right in MKVToolNix, and I assume I also would have a second chance to make it right by having VidCoder set the rate back to 23.9 or 29.9 before I convert it.

Part of my trying to remember not to have this happen was to post this topic. Read the responses and reply to them. All this in an effort to reinforce my memory NOT TO FORGET to change the settings in toolNix.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    Mediainfo lists the Vob as 23.9. MKVtool nix sort of changes the Vob. It converts to 59.9 unless I specify otherwise.
    Something odd is going on on your computer. From VOB files, MMG always creates 29.97 fps interlaced on my computer (which is what all NTSC VOB files are). That's without specifying anything about the frame rate in MMG.
    Quote Quote  
  9. IIRC some older versions of mkvmerge used the field rate, not the frame rate when muxing mpeg2 files .
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    IIRC some older versions of mkvmerge used the field rate, not the frame rate when muxing mpeg2 files .

I'm using the latest version of MMG. I also went back and tried it with a 3 year old version of MMG. It also assumed 59.9.

When I stick the vob directly into Vidcoder it lists it as and converts the mpg to h264 using the 29.9 framerate.

Might be something with me still using XP home edition. The only other anomaly with video files that I've noticed is that all versions of XmediaRecode crash if I try to use it change the resolution of a video. A half dozen other programs that I use don't exhibit that same problem.

Anyway, I did write a simple txt file Titled 'Using MMG to convert vob to MKV' . Now all I have to do is remember to read the file.

Thanks all
    Tony
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm was using MMG 5.8.0. I just updated to 6.1.0. Same thing: all NTSC VOB files remuxed to MKV are 29.97 fps.
    Last edited by jagabo; 9th Mar 2013 at 10:09.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a preset in MMG telling it what framerate to use? I'm not sure what program it was but I think it was an older version of MMG. It would have a popup when you inserted a vob reminding you to set the framerate manually as it could't always do it automatically.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    Is there a preset in MMG telling it what framerate to use?
    I think I've only seen that with h.264 video.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, another thought that I just had was that each version of toolNix always comes with it's own particular problems. So, I just download the portable versions and keep at least 3 versions at all times. Maybe I should just download the installing version instead of the portable and see how that works.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  15. I only use the portable versions. I keep lots of portable apps on my NAS so any computer in the house can access them.

I'm running Win7. I doubt XP Home is the issue though.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to amend my observations. After looking at the above responses I did go back and insert some 29.9 vobs into MMG they all produced Mkvs at 29.9. However, my original vob was @ 23.9 and evidently the 23.9 vobs cause MMG to produce a Mkv @59.9.

Don't know why some of my older DVDs are 23.9 but from the above remarks, I assume they were wrong and they caused my problems. They still produce a proper MKV but only if I manually set the 23.9 rate manually in MMG.

So if nothing else, I did learn quite a bit from this So again
    Thanks all

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by cal_tony View Post
    I would like to amend my observations. After looking at the above responses I did go back and insert some 29.9 vobs into MMG they all produced Mkvs at 29.9. However, my original vob was @ 23.9 and evidently the 23.9 vobs cause MMG to produce a Mkv @59.9.
    I've converted 24p with pulldown flags, hard telecined, and pure interlaced VOB files. They all come out as 29.97 fps after MMG. All MMG does is put the audio and video streams in an MKV container. Since all NTSC DVD VOB is nominally 29.97 fps all resulting MKV files are 29.97 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @jagabo..I believe you. You do know much more re: video than I do so i always find your comments very informative.

Prior to my last post I did go back to one of my older DVDs. It had multiple title sets and surprisingly it had some title sets @ 23.9 and others @29.9. MMg did the 29s @29 and the 23s @59.

Since I'm relatively sure that I wont make the mistake again, I will play around with the 23.9 vobs just as a matter of interest.
    Again,
    Thanks
    Tony
    Quote Quote