+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by siluet View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by siluet View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    A better solution is to have an inexpensive NAS for storage. Then used any media player that can access network shares. That's what we have for several TVs and computers in the house.
    I just don't want use PC when watching movie on TV, and I canno connect TV to NAS.
    My point was: if you get a NAS you can use any media player that can access network shares. You're not limited to media players with a built in hard drive. I got an empty two bay NAS last year for about US$80.
    But this require to use additional hardware, dedicated media player or computer.
    So what? You stick the NAS in a closet and it's out of sight. You now have a much wider choice of media players and they're smaller. When you 've outgrown that media player or it dies it's easy to replace. You may even find it's cheaper to buy a NAS and media player than it is to buy a media player with a built in drive.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Agreed.
    With a NAS, your "media player" could be anything...Android box...Apple TV...your phone...tablet...whatever...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Go for some media player based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockchip_RK3288 - it will even decode 4k h.265 10 bit - not bad for 100$ solution.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/06/25/list-of-rockchip-rk3288-android-tv-boxes/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IF you fine one..with built in hard drive
    you still have to connect it to a PC to transfer the video files
    then connect to TV to watch

exactly the same thing will happen, IF you purchase a HD and a Media player
    you will connect drive to PC to transfer files, then connect drive to media player to watch them on TV

the only difference is whether its ONE box or TWO boxes

I have a Sony media player i bought several years ago, uses external HD
    i have a HomeWorx PVR i bought late last year
    i can connect any of my external drivers to either one
    my 2TB drive is usually connected to the PVR as i use it to record broadcast hiDef TV programs live, 1920*1080i , 4gb for 1 hour, thats bluray HD quality
    yeah acts like a vcr
    the Homeworx PVR will also play avi and mp4 files etc.. so i can play other content that i have transffered to the hard drive

having TWO devices instead of ONE is NOT a handicap
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    No, you can transfer files over the network. You don't need to move the drive itself around.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post

exactly the same thing will happen, IF you purchase a HD and a Media player
    you will connect drive to PC to transfer files, then connect drive to media player to watch them on TV

the only difference is whether its ONE box or TWO boxes
    sure, transfer file from PC to HDD media player via local network. The HHD media player can be used as NAS storage as well. The hard drive is internal, can be replaced. Standalone device will be cheaper than purchasing NAS server and some flat external Media Player device. I don't see any advantages of using external Media Players, android-based devices without even FAN to keep your CPU cool, or use mobile phone as "media player". What quality you expect to get using mobile phone as Media Player, that's nonsense. I need HDD media player with Linux OS firmware, not Android.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by siluet View Post
    Standalone device will be cheaper than purchasing NAS server and some flat external Media Player device.
    No it won't. There are few media players with built in drives and they are made by companies that deal in low volumes. Hence prices are high. You can buy a 2 TB NAS and a media player for less than the cost of either of the Kdlinks devices (plus hard drive) mentioned earlier.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sure, transfer file from PC to HDD media player via local network. The HHD media player can be used as NAS storage as well. The hard drive is internal, can be replaced. Standalone device will be cheaper than purchasing NAS server and some flat external Media Player device. I don't see any advantages of using external Media Players, android-based devices without even FAN to keep your CPU cool, or use mobile phone as "media player". What quality you expect to get using mobile phone as Media Player, that's nonsense. I need HDD media player with Linux OS firmware, not Android.
    The Kdlinks HD720 has a fan and it has more hardware codecs built in than the Kdlinks A200, but it cannot run XBMC. The Kdlinks HD720 is Linux-based, but runs a stripped-down customized version of Linux, because it doesn't have a CPU that is capable of running anything else. To run a normal version of Linux, you would need a small HTPC, as I have been telling you all along, but a good one will cost much more than this device.

The Kdlinks A200 uses an Android OS and it can run XBMC for Android and some other Android apps. Android is a Linux variant for mobile devices, but if you object to Android then I guess this device should be eliminated from consideration.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Oct 2014 at 08:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Intel i3 NUC would be one of the cheapest HTPC options that would actually work as it would definitely have enough power to run anything and everything (well not sure about 4K video but it can do any and all 1080p or smaller stuff).

Amazon Link ---> http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DisplayPort-i3-4010U-Consumer-BOXD34010WYKH1/dp/B00HOJAVDG/
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    The Intel i3 NUC would be one of the cheapest HTPC options that would actually work as it would definitely have enough power to run anything and everything (well not sure about 4K video but it can do any and all 1080p or smaller stuff).

Amazon Link ---> http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DisplayPort-i3-4010U-Consumer-BOXD34010WYKH1/dp/B00HOJAVDG/
    Intel says the following for BOXD34010WYK models: One Mini DisplayPort* 1.2 supporting ultra-high definition 4K displays and multiple monitor function. So, 4K is supported, but Intel doesn't define exactly what they mean by that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I believe that's referring to DisplayPort v1.2's support of 4k (actually likely UHD1 @ 30 or 60Fps), not necessarily Intel's. DP is flexible & fast enough to probably support a variety of size/rate combinations.
    Intel would, of course, need to have drivers that worked with it, so it's a shame there's no further info.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did more research at https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics. U-Processors with Intel HD Graphics 4400 support 3200x2000 @60 Hz, or 3840x2160@30Hz via Displayport. It appears 4096 x 2304 and 3840x2160 @ 24Hz / 24bpp are supported via HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM

it's not clear from their description, does it have internal bay for 2.5"inch HDD or it use external HDD drive? I don't need all these advanced options it offer, and it's quite expensive.
    As far I can see, the Kdlinks HD720 have good reviews, however there should be similar OEM HDD players at more reasonable prices. Does this Kdlinks HD720 player shown in LAN network as network drive, so it possible move files to that drive? Does it possible download files from WAN and save it directly into this HDD player drive?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM

it's not clear from their description, does it have internal bay for 2.5"inch HDD or it use external HDD drive? I don't need all these advanced options it offer, and it's quite expensive.
    Not all the Intel NUCs allow installing an internal 2.5" HDD, but that model has a 2.5" HDD mount on the top casing with an included SATA cradle/plug as well as an mSATA slot on the motherboard for an mSATA SSD. Note that this mini PC does not come with any memory, so you have to buy SDRAM as well as an HDD. Yes its expensive, and that is because it is a tiny Intel i3 PC able to run a full, standard Linux distro.

As far I can see, the Kdlinks HD720 have good reviews, however there should be similar OEM HDD players at more reasonable prices.
    Good luck with your search. Let us know when you find a comparable media player for less that allows installing an internal HDD.

Does this Kdlinks HD720 player shown in LAN network as network drive, so it possible move files to that drive? Does it possible download files from WAN and save it directly into this HDD player drive?
    Yes. Download the manual and read pages 24 and 25 to find out how these features are implemented.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    why does everybody .. ASSUME.. he has a network ?

NOT everybody has a networked system in their home

i have a PC and 3 external hard drives

i have a sony media player and a PVR

but everything is NOT networked together
    why do you assume he does ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    why does everybody .. ASSUME.. he has a network ?

NOT everybody has a networked system in their home

i have a PC and 3 external hard drives

i have a sony media player and a PVR

but everything is NOT networked together
    why do you assume he does ?
    This post from the OP is likely to be the reason everybody thinks the OP has a network of some kind:
    Can anyone suggest hardware media player with internal 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive: that can store media files from PC via Ethernet and WiFi interface, and play stored media files on TV via HDMI connection?
    I guess he could be using an ad hoc network, but for the most part people network their devices using a router.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah..thanks..i let that one slip by me
    i Assumed he was only talking about a temporary connection for loading the files to the drive
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=usually_quiet;2352926][QUOTE=siluet;2352916]

Not all the Intel NUCs allow installing an internal 2.5" HDD, but that model has a 2.5" HDD mount on the top casing with an included SATA cradle/plug as well as an mSATA slot on the motherboard for an mSATA SSD. Note that this mini PC does not come with any memory, so you have to buy SDRAM as well as an HDD. Yes its expensive, and that is because it is a tiny Intel i3 PC able to run a full, standard Linux distro.
    Sure, home network via router.
    I don't think that placing external hard drive on top of the media box is good idea: the careless move can throw the HDD on the floor, more dust. Don't see the real advantages of Intel NUC box when you need the device to play media files on TV, not to play with Home Automation or unknown features. I think, not all products from largest hi-tech manufacturers is worth products, often its just exploitation of their brand names "Intel", instead of offering something new or really useful.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by siluet View Post
    I don't think that placing external hard drive on top of the media box is good idea: the careless move can throw the HDD on the floor, more dust.
    I think you misunderstood -- the drive is mounted inside the NUC.

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-kit-d54250wykh-review_133823
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't see the real advantages of Intel NUC box when you need the device to play media files on TV, not to play with Home Automation or unknown features. I think, not all products from largest hi-tech manufacturers is worth products, often its just exploitation of their brand names "Intel", instead of offering something new or really useful.
    They may not be revolutionary, but Intel NUCs are tiny, energy efficient computers that are designed so they can be mounted behind a TV out of sight. Yes they are expensive and you have to buy more stuff to use them (HDD, SDRAM, and half mini PCI-e wireless card for WiFi). However they are the only solution proposed that can meet all of your requirements.

You keep saying you want something small with an internal hard drive and the ability to play all kinds of media files, as well as download files from your home network and the internet. Previously you asked for a media player that would allow you to use VLC for playing live video streams over the Internet. There are no $100 media players that allow installing an internal hard drive. The Kdlinks HD720 at $160 only comes close to meeting all your requirements.

You can either lower your expectations to the point where a $100-$160 media player meets them, or pay the price to have it all.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Don't see the real advantages of Intel NUC box when you need the device to play media files on TV, not to play with Home Automation or unknown features. I think, not all products from largest hi-tech manufacturers is worth products, often its just exploitation of their brand names "Intel", instead of offering something new or really useful.
    They may not be revolutionary, but Intel NUCs are tiny, energy efficient computers that are designed so they can be mounted behind a TV out of sight. Yes they are expensive and you have to buy more stuff to use them (HDD, SDRAM, and half mini PCI-e wireless card for WiFi). However they are the only solution proposed that can meet all of your requirements.

You keep saying you want something small with an internal hard drive and the ability to play all kinds of media files, as well as download files from your home network and the internet. Previously you asked for a media player that would allow you to use VLC for playing live video streams over the Internet. There are no $100 media players that allow installing an internal hard drive. The Kdlinks HD720 at $160 only comes close to meeting all your requirements.

You can either lower your expectations to the point where a $100-$160 media player meets them, or pay the price to have it all.
    well, that thread about media player for playing live video streams over the Internet was posted more than year ago, and this requirement is not actual any longer, previously I searched for IPTV Set Top Box, now there is available a wide selection of STB, so this is not a problem.
    I just consider HDD media player. As to downloading files I mean just to save files from Internet straight to HDD media player hard drive (as network drive), without downloading them to computer HDD.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As to downloading files I mean just to save files from Internet straight to HDD media player hard drive (as network drive), without downloading them to computer HDD.
    This is what you initially asked for in 2014.
    Can anyone suggest hardware media player with internal 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive: that can store media files from PC via Ethernet and WiFi interface, and play stored media files on TV via HDMI connection?
    The Kdlinks HD720 met those requirements. Now you want a media player that has the ability to download files from the Internet too. While the Kdlinks HD720 can download files from the Internet, its abilities in that area are limited. It won't give you as many file download options as a PC would. Adding this requirement might well put you back in HTPC territory again.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Oct 2014 at 16:03. Reason: removed repeated words
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    As to downloading files I mean just to save files from Internet straight to HDD media player hard drive (as network drive), without downloading them to computer HDD.
    This is what you asked for initially asked for initially in 2014.
    The Kdlinks HD720 met those requirements. Now you want a media player that has the ability to download files from the Internet too. While the Kdlinks HD720 can download files from the Internet, its abilities in that area are limited. It won't give you as many file download options as a PC would, so by adding this requirement you might well be back in HTPC territory again.
    no, I don't mean this: I mean use PC to download files as usual, but save them into HDD player drive, that is, as external drive.

I just read Kdlinks User Manual, there are specified:

"This product can be used as a portable external storage device with its built-in SATA interface and high-speed USB 3.0."
    "Note: A USB 3.0 cable is necessary to use this product as a portable external storage device. USB 2.0 cable is useless."

My laptop have USB 2.0 ports only, I can use USB 3.0 cable to connect Kdlinks into a USB 2.0 port, and it will work at standard USB 2.0 data rates?
    Last edited by siluet; 26th Oct 2014 at 16:27.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "This product can be used as a portable external storage device with its built-in SATA interface and high-speed USB 3.0."
    "Note: A USB 3.0 cable is necessary to use this product as a portable external storage device. USB 2.0 cable is useless."
    if taken as exactly as worded, the answer is NO
    taken as worded you must usb 3.0, to use as external drive to store files via PC

this could be incorrectly worded "Chinglish ?" who makes this device

BUT a usb 3.0 cable will not do do anything different than 2.0, unless there is a 3.0 port
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @siluet Recommend you visit avsforum.com http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/1500875-of...er-thread.html. They have a thread all about KDLInks products. If you don't find see your answer, someone there can likely provide one as the posters there ACTUALLY OWN a HD700 or A200. There's even a a link to someone at KDLinks whom you can email directly. Report your findings here after you've gotten all your answers

To everyone else, I smell something that lurks under the bridge here. No matter what answer is given, there's always another question or objection. As has been pointed out, this thread started in 2013 and never been completely resolved. *Beware*
    Last edited by lingyi; 26th Oct 2014 at 18:40. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM

I just read Kdlinks User Manual, there are specified:

My laptop have USB 2.0 ports only, I can use USB 3.0 cable to connect Kdlinks into a USB 2.0 port, and it will work at standard USB 2.0 data rates?
    The statement in the manual refers to the fact that the USB 3.0 type B port on the Kdlinks will not fit the USB 2.0 type B connection on a USB 2.0 cable.

However the Type A end of a USB 3.0 cable is backwards compatible with the USB 2.0 port on a PC, and USB 3.0 will transfer data from a USB 2.0 device at standard USB 2.0 data rates.

...and I agree that it might be best for you to review the official KDLinks HD thread at the AVS forums and post questions there should any more arise afterwards.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Oct 2014 at 19:37.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From your closed thread:
    I'm thinking of buying media box for TV, to provide TV with digital media content, mainly for watching movies, video. I am considering two devices, Android IPTV Set-top box (STB) and HD TV Media Player with HDD Bay (KDLINKS HD720) I need some advice or opinions, please.
    Well here we are again. You need to define what you really need from this box and make up your own mind. We can't do that for you.

If the only thing that will satisfy you is something that lets you install an internal hard drive, plays every concevable type of media file, and lets you watch streaming video from virtually any source on the Internet, you need a PC.

If you cannot do without an internal hard drive, but are willing to give up the ability to play everything, and you want IPTV but don't care about having access to every paid streaming service, maybe this will work:
    http://www.kdlinks.com/index.php/popular-products/a200-android-network-hd-tv-media-pla...-keyboard.html

If you cannot do without an internal hard drive, want limited ability to play some Blu-Ray ISOs and the ability some kinds of media files the KD-Links A200 Box doesn't play, but you don't care much about having access to IPTV, expecially Netflix and other paid streaming services, this may suit you:
    http://www.kdlinks.com/index.php/media-player/kdlinks-hd720-extreme-full-hd-1080p-3d-m...k-1186-3d.html

If you can do without an internal hard drive, want the ability to play some types files the KD-Links Boxes don't play but don't care about playing Blu-Ray ISOs, and you want IPTV but don't care about having access to every paid streaming service, maybe something like these will work:
    http://www.amazon.com/Vigica-V3-Rk3288-Android-Christmas/dp/B00NIE0XKW
    http://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-RK3288-Android-Bluetooth-Support/dp/B00P7K3RFI/ref=sr_...qid=1417877061
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th Dec 2014 at 09:57.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, at the present, a device that allows to play Youtube videos, MP4, AVI, DivX, Xvid, MKV, FLV, VOB files online will be quite enough. I need some inexpensive solution. I think, I can do without KD-Links Boxes with internal hard drive, and don't care about playing Blu-Ray ISOs, so I want consider some Android TV box. If it support playing streaming video it will be a big plus (RTMP,RTSP, HLS, UDP, MMS)
    What is main difference between Smart Tv Box with Xbmc and Android TV box with respect to designated tasks?

What from these Android TV Boxes will fit better?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, at the present, a device that allows to play Youtube videos, MP4, AVI, DivX, Xvid, MKV, FLV, VOB files online will be quite enough. I need some inexpensive solution. I think, I can do without KD-Links Boxes with internal hard drive, and don't care about playing Blu-Ray ISOs, so I want consider some Android TV box. If it support playing streaming video it will be a big plus (RTMP,RTSP, HLS, UDP, MMS)
    What is main difference between Smart Tv Box with Xbmc and Android TV box with respect to designated tasks?
    I can't answer that question unless you give me an example of what you mean by " Smart TV Box".

What from these Android TV Boxes will fit better?
    Pick one of the quad core model s below. They are similar and have the best specs among the products on the pages you posted.

http://www.sunnytvtech.com/product/SU-MXIII_Wholesale_Amlogic_S802_quad_core_android_4...anufactory.htm
    http://www.sunnytvtech.com/product/Wholesale_MINIX_NEO_X8H_Amlogic_S802H_quad_core_and...g_xbmc_chi.htm
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From SU-MXIII TV Box description it "Can view the local network file by network" - probably means it can play files stored on a local network?
    It's interesting that all these TV boxes have no cooling fans, there is no overheating issues usually?
    Last edited by siluet; 7th Dec 2014 at 20:29.
    Quote Quote