VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

I was wondering if nowadays tablets can be connected to a 5.1 system (Logitech Z906 in particular) and get the same sounds as I would have if I would connect a laptop to a 5.1 system.

I have one HTC Flyer and I tried connecting it to a 2.1 system and the sound is not as good as if I would have it connected to a pc.

Any idea if this issue has a fix? Adaptor or something...or nothing...

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    depends on the tablet and connection to the audio system. mine has an hdmi cable available and can play 1080p video with dts audio.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    depends on the tablet and connection to the audio system. mine has an hdmi cable available and can play 1080p video with dts audio.
    What tablet you have? I was actually thinking of Galaxy Tab2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    nook hd+ that i rooted.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    nook hd+ that i rooted.
    Thanks. Probably I should either stick with a laptop or go for the Asus transformer, which has a micro HDMI (which should do it right)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    asus does make some nice tablets and the hdmi port should be a good link.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    asus does make some nice tablets and the hdmi port should be a good link.
    What about connecting it to the Logitech Z906?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    depends on the unit, it would need to have hdmi in and out to the tv like an a/v receiver.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    depends on the unit, it would need to have hdmi in and out to the tv like an a/v receiver.
    what about the ipad 2, does it have any hdmi?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ipads have a really crappy converter cable you can buy that connects via hdmi to the tv.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Are you talking true 5.1 out? Because that would require the codec+player app in the tablet to be capable of 5.1 as well, in addition to having HDMI capability...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    afaik most better android devices decode 5.1 to 5.1 wavs using video players like vlc and send them out the hdmi. i haven't heard of any that "passthrough" virgin surround, so they don't light up the dts or surround indicator on your receiver, but do give you 5.1 audio.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    afaik most better android devices decode 5.1 to 5.1 wavs using video players like vlc and send them out the hdmi. i haven't heard of any that "passthrough" virgin surround, so they don't light up the dts or surround indicator on your receiver, but do give you 5.1 audio.
    I will be using it for one online radio streaming. Will the tablet still stream if locked (screen off)?

By the way, if I want to have 5.1 on a laptop, what adaptors do I need (for the same LOgitech Z906)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by alintatoc View Post
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    I will be using it for one online radio streaming. Will the tablet still stream if locked (screen off)?

By the way, if I want to have 5.1 on a laptop, what adaptors do I need (for the same LOgitech Z906)?
    Not likely (mine doesn't).

IIWY, I'd stop pussyfooting around and just get a PC w/HDMI out and dedicate it to doing this task.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alintatoc
    I will be using it for one online radio streaming.
    If you are just doing radio stereo is all you need.

Have you looked into bluetooth audio? You can get an external bluetooth adapter to connect to your existing stereo. Assuming you get a tablet that has bluetooth you can connect that way.

Originally Posted by cornucopia
    I'd stop pussyfooting around and just get a PC w/HDMI out and dedicate it to doing this task.
    Yes if you want to do lots of media and web browsing this is the preffered way to do it. If you check the prices the more powerful tablet that you will need to all you want is probably comparable to a entry level htpc. Don't forget to include an os into the cost when pricing them out. Unless you are comfortable with linux variants like Ubuntu that is.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Originally Posted by alintatoc
    I will be using it for one online radio streaming.
    If you are just doing radio stereo is all you need.

Have you looked into bluetooth audio? You can get an external bluetooth adapter to connect to your existing stereo. Assuming you get a tablet that has bluetooth you can connect that way.

Originally Posted by cornucopia
    I'd stop pussyfooting around and just get a PC w/HDMI out and dedicate it to doing this task.
    Yes if you want to do lots of media and web browsing this is the preffered way to do it. If you check the prices the more powerful tablet that you will need to all you want is probably comparable to a entry level htpc. Don't forget to include an os into the cost when pricing them out. Unless you are comfortable with linux variants like Ubuntu that is.
    What about the Galaxy Tab2, will it be a powerful tablet better than a entry level pc? I am still thinking of getting one instead of a PC...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @alintatoc - I believe that is a powerful tablet.

However remember with ANY tablet you are more restricted than a pc. Just the nature of the beast. Plus you can't upgrade a tablet - not that I know of or at least not hacking the crap out of it.

If all you want is easy content viewing a tablet is good for MOST cases. But you'll still have the oddball video you'll have to convert.

With a htpc there is no need for that. Or a wdtv media player is also a great option as it plays just about EVERYTHING.

So go in knowing the limitations of a tablet. They are great units but they are not the all powerful beast, at least not yet.

Or you could consider a surface pro from microsoft. Its basically a laptop that thinks its a tablet. It might be the best hybrid option for your needs. Something to consider but definitely pricier than a galaxy tab.

Edit - there are other "hybrid" tablets available aside from the surface. Some convertibles too. They are laptops with tablet screens. That way you can do full computing but have a tablet interface. More expensive than low to mid tier tablets but much more powerful. And if you get them with windows 8 you have a full os not a tablet os.

Fyi the surface RT is not full windows 8. Only the pro is regular windows 8 for full windows support.
    Last edited by yoda313; 14th Mar 2013 at 16:59.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    @alintatoc - I believe that is a powerful tablet.

However remember with ANY tablet you are more restricted than a pc. Just the nature of the beast. Plus you can't upgrade a tablet - not that I know of or at least not hacking the crap out of it.

If all you want is easy content viewing a tablet is good for MOST cases. But you'll still have the oddball video you'll have to convert.

With a htpc there is no need for that. Or a wdtv media player is also a great option as it plays just about EVERYTHING.

So go in knowing the limitations of a tablet. They are great units but they are not the all powerful beast, at least not yet.

Or you could consider a surface pro from microsoft. Its basically a laptop that thinks its a tablet. It might be the best hybrid option for your needs. Something to consider but definitely pricier than a galaxy tab.

Edit - there are other "hybrid" tablets available aside from the surface. Some convertibles too. They are laptops with tablet screens. That way you can do full computing but have a tablet interface. More expensive than low to mid tier tablets but much more powerful. And if you get them with windows 8 you have a full os not a tablet os.

Fyi the surface RT is not full windows 8. Only the pro is regular windows 8 for full windows support.
    Thank you very much for the explanation. You have a point. One other thing that would interest me, will I be able to multi-task if I would buy one Ipad mini? Will the video/audio streaming turn off if the screen is off?

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alinatoc
    Thank you very much for the explanation. You have a point.
    You are welcome.

One other thing that would interest me, will I be able to multi-task if I would buy one Ipad mini? Will the video/audio streaming turn off if the screen is off?
    I don't have an ipad anything so I can't say for sure. I believe until just recently the iphone could not truly multitask but I don't know what the new iphones can do and I don't know if that held true for the ipads.

For video streaming do you mean from the internet itself? Or do you have a physical nas box that has the files on it that you want to stream from yourself? Or is it on a computer that you will stream from directly and not the "cloud" as they say, ie the net?

I don't know if they have remote shutdown options for home storage units that are nas based or if you can remotely shut down your computer from a tablet. There may be options like that you'll have to do some digging to find out for sure.

If you are talking about streaming from something like youtube or vudu directly off your tablet and home wifi router than yes once your tablet is off you aren't accessing it anymore. That is assuming you mean screen off as in the tablet is turned off.

Hope that helps.

Edit - and what kind of multitasking are you talking about? If you are using it to watch a video what other task would you be doing at the same time anyway?

If you want real productivity on a portable unit you should really look into a laptop or a tablet hybrid like a surface if you want to do more than rudimentary video and websurfing. You could also look into those "netbooks" that are mini laptops. I think they are being phased out in favor of the tablet and the hybrids like surface. But if you can still find netbooks that might be more what you really want. Something that is a mini laptop but more than a tablet. Just remember you are trading off power for portability. You can't get everything you want in one package just yet. You have to have a bigger unit if you want more power and you generally have to sacrifice some performance or capability if you want it smaller and more portable. Its tradeoffs and you have to plan accordingly.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Thank you very much for the explanation. You have a point.
    You are welcome.

One other thing that would interest me, will I be able to multi-task if I would buy one Ipad mini? Will the video/audio streaming turn off if the screen is off?
    I don't have an ipad anything so I can't say for sure. I believe until just recently the iphone could not truly multitask but I don't know what the new iphones can do and I don't know if that held true for the ipads.

For video streaming do you mean from the internet itself? Or do you have a physical nas box that has the files on it that you want to stream from yourself? Or is it on a computer that you will stream from directly and not the "cloud" as they say, ie the net?

I don't know if they have remote shutdown options for home storage units that are nas based or if you can remotely shut down your computer from a tablet. There may be options like that you'll have to do some digging to find out for sure.

If you are talking about streaming from something like youtube or vudu directly off your tablet and home wifi router than yes once your tablet is off you aren't accessing it anymore. That is assuming you mean screen off as in the tablet is turned off.

Hope that helps.

Edit - and what kind of multitasking are you talking about? If you are using it to watch a video what other task would you be doing at the same time anyway?

If you want real productivity on a portable unit you should really look into a laptop or a tablet hybrid like a surface if you want to do more than rudimentary video and websurfing. You could also look into those "netbooks" that are mini laptops. I think they are being phased out in favor of the tablet and the hybrids like surface. But if you can still find netbooks that might be more what you really want. Something that is a mini laptop but more than a tablet. Just remember you are trading off power for portability. You can't get everything you want in one package just yet. You have to have a bigger unit if you want more power and you generally have to sacrifice some performance or capability if you want it smaller and more portable. Its tradeoffs and you have to plan accordingly.
    I guess you are perfectly right about the laptop, it still remains the best option for me at the moment but the thing is that I've bought one Asus laptop which came with Free Dos and I've installed Ubuntu and after the laptop was very slow, but it was an AMD, therefore not really that optimized for Ubuntu. I've returned it back to the shop and I've bought a 11 inch Asus laptop which came with Windows 8. After using it for several days I started to be frustrated because I couldn't get rid of the sleep mode. I've changed all the settings not to go to sleep mode but no success, therefore returned also that one.

Now I am left with not so much choices because I wouldn't like to invest so much in a new laptop since it will only be a work laptop (just web browsing and radio/video streaming - youtube)

Any suggestions for laptops, in terms of brand?
    Quote Quote