VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. My old PVR is in the bin, I just have the HDD (Hitachi 3.5" ATA/IDE). I connected it to my PC and, on bootup, glimpsed a balloon saying something like 'Hitachi device installed successfully'. But then I couldn't see the drive anywhere in 'My Computer'.

I then saw a website that said PVR drives aren't formatted to work on a PC. But a reformat will wipe the recorded programmes won't it? So is there a way to get the info from the PVR HDD to my PC? (Bearing in mind I don't have the PVR itself.)

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try if you can access the hdd using a linux (e.g. Ubuntu) live cd, if not your hdd might even be encrypted,.. may be someone has a better idea, but you probably might want to post what pvr you used,...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are many threads in these forums about this issue. Same applies with HDD's from dvd-recorders.

They use a proprietory/raw Operating System. May be based on some form of Unix but not sure. No one, to my knowledge, has ever found a way to get a PC to read the data from these drives.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The only confirmed way we've heard of to get the data from a PVR to a PC is one of the following. I doubt you're going to like these.

1) Play the video in real time on the PVR and send the output to a capture card on the PC and record it there in real time. So if you have a 30 minute show, it will take 30 minutes to record it.
    2) The uglier method that I've read posts about is that some people will play the video in real time on their PVR and send the output to a DVD recorder which will record it to DVD in real time. Then they'll take the DVD and put it in the PC and rip it to get the video onto the PC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks folks. I don't have the PVR itself so it does appear that I'm stuffed. Ah well...
    Quote Quote  
  6. I dabbled with a Bell PVR a few years ago, I was trying to recover recordings for friend before upgrading the drive. I could see the files on the drive, but couldn't play them. The files didn't seem to have a header, so I couldn't tell what encoding was used. I tried to clone the drive, although that worked the PVR wouldn't acknowledge the extra capacity. In the end the drive still had to be wiped.

In case you want to play here's the procedure I used:

- Create an image of the drive with Paragon Backup&Recovery and save it to your C drive
    - You can browse and extract files from the image with the program's image explorer

I can't remember what file system it used, it was either EXT2 or FAT with a bogus ID flag; the Paragon software is very good at identifying and manipulating file systems. Video files appeared to be the ones with the larger file size; maybe, Mediainfo can figure out what they are. There's an hex editor that you can use to view the files, I can't recall whether there was any human readable text in any files; that would have excluded any form of encryption on the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks folks. Given all that's been said, I feel rather smug in now telling you that I've succeeded! All that's required is a Linux-reading program called Ext2Fsd - http://www.ext2fsd.com/

Once I'd connected the DVR HDD to my PC, this program allowed me to give it a drive letter which showed up in 'My Computer'. All my old telly programmes were there and I've now copied them over to my main drive for editing. Editing is a piece of cake - the files are in .trp format which is merely mpeg.

All in all, I'm rather pleased...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm shocked that your PVR didn't encrypt the recordings. That might be impossible to find in North America. Thanks for the update on what worked. It's not likely to help North Americans any but maybe there will be a few people who have unencrypted PVR drives who can benefit from it.

To be clear, the problem is not typically that a Linux file system is being used, it's that the programs are encrypted. The use of Linux file systems just adds a layer of difficulty to people without Linux experience, but encrypted files are the show stopper. You and nic2k4 just got lucky that encryption wasn't used in your cases.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am also pleased to read that this has worked for you.

But having read what was written in the link you posted.....

" WARNINGS:The driver may crash your system and ruin your data unexpectedly,since there might be software conflicts and I could only test iton some of the popular platforms. You should use it with care anduse it at your own risk! "I would probably have not even tried this.".trp format which is merely Mpeg" Really ??
    Quote Quote  
  10. I had an assurance from a trusted source that the program was good. Yes, mpeg - or mpeg-ts to be exact. I used mediainfo to find that out.

jman98 - I think I'm right in saying that, in the UK, only HD channels are encrypted. Luckily, my recordings were standard def.
    Last edited by pooksahib; 1st Mar 2013 at 09:41.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    TRP is apparently just a form of a TS file. So renaming should work but from what I read it's usually H.264 video so you need an editor that can handle that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    May I ask what PVR this was - Sky+ or just some stand-alone.

SD broadcasts from Sky are also sometimes encrypted especially the 'Box Office' ones.

TRP can be Mpeg2 also. But I would be equally concerned of multiple streams within the file which the PVR filters.

Have you actually played any of these recovered files and tried to edit them ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    " WARNINGS:The driver may crash your system and ruin your data unexpectedly,since there might be software conflicts and I could only test iton some of the popular platforms. You should use it with care anduse it at your own risk! "
    Virtually all software licenses say that.
    Quote Quote  
  14. The PVR was Techwood (based on a Vestel, I believe) - a cheapie from Tesco. The files I salvaged from it were simplicity itself to edit using VideReDo - or avidemux if I chose - and are now playing perfectly on my WDTV Live Hub.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A 'Freeview' box then I assume.

I guess you have been most fortunate to recover these. Would like to read the experience of others who try this method with HDDs from DVD-recorders or Sky Boxes. But encrypted files would be a totally different ball-game.
    Quote Quote  
  16. You assume correctly. It was a good enough box but had to go when HD transmissions began.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I am having a similar problem. I want to copy the files from my PVR's disc to allow me to upgrade the disc to a bigger one and copy the files back again.
    I used the same mounting software tool EXT2FSD to mount a D: drive. But the format of the HD is RAW, therefore the PC doesn't recognise the format. I don't want to convert it to FAT or NTFS for fear of wiping the data.

Has anyone got any advice on how to see and copy the files on a PC now the disc is mounted?

Thanks
    Tim
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by timuk View Post
    Hi,

I am having a similar problem. I want to copy the files from my PVR's disc to allow me to upgrade the disc to a bigger one and copy the files back again.
    I used the same mounting software tool EXT2FSD to mount a D: drive. But the format of the HD is RAW, therefore the PC doesn't recognise the format. I don't want to convert it to FAT or NTFS for fear of wiping the data.

Has anyone got any advice on how to see and copy the files on a PC now the disc is mounted?

Thanks
    Tim

Brand/Make of PVR?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In Australia the 2 leading brands, Topfield and Beyonwiz use various versions of Linux and there is no encryption except on models marked "Freeview" which offers no advantage over normal PVR's - they all receive the same digital TV stations. On the more conventional International brands like Samsung and LG etc they tend to use proprietary formats and are usually encrypted. So it's only a matter of connecting up to a Linux box or running a Linux CD to recover your files if you can no longer transfer them over the network or USB.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    OK. Thanks
    The make is a Daewoo Freeview box 9502T

I might try ghosting the entire disc and all partitions to the new disc and see if what happens.
    Tim
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder if after doing that, some type of partition adjuster might free up any additional space the new drive has (in excess of the original)...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
    I wonder if after doing that, some type of partition adjuster might free up any additional space the new drive has (in excess of the original)...
    Indeed. I ghosted the original 80Gb disc with all my old films on it to the new 400Gb disc. Sadly the box now sees the new disc as 80Gb. I'm using ImageForDos to do the backup and restore, and whatever option I try it keeps see it as a 80Gb disc. Since they are Linux partitions I'm not sure ImageForDos is the best tool as it is geared up for FAT16/32 and NTFS partitions.

Oh, well
    Quote Quote  
  23. Try one of the drive cloning utilities that let you resize partitions on the fly. Most of the drive manufacturers make them available for free. You just need a drive from that manufacturer in your system to use the software -- the drive your cloning from or to don't need to be from that manufacturer.
    Quote Quote