VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

Need some help, i just bought a Microsoft Surface Pro and really like it. It's ideal for watching video on the move, which I do a bit of. I have a large movie collection, all which is 1080p in either .MKV, .M2TS or .TS format. Unfortunately, the Xbox Video application player won't play any of those formats. I can play those movies on it using windows media player with Shark007 codecs installed, but I want to use the Xbox player, as it's a whole lot more touch friendly (device has a 10" 1080p screen, the controls are really small). So, my options are:

1- Get the Xbox Video player to be able to play .MKV, .M2TS & .TS files, or
    2- Convert my entire library (430 titles) to .WMV or .MP4

If I need to convert all my videos, I have a PC with the following specs to do the conversion:

Dual Xeon quad cores@ 2.7Ghz (8 physical, 16 virtual cores w/hyperthreading)
    12GB DDR2 RAM
    9.2TB RAID5 storage (all videos are stored on this, half is empty)
    Win7 professional x64

All movie titles are in their own folders with background artwork and other files ( I use a HTPC w/ MediaBrowser to play files)
    Does anyone know of a converter program (Payware/Freeware) capable of:
    - batch converting all 4TB of my videos within the folders without having to move files around (read existing .mkv in folder and encode back into same folder)
    - Multicore support

Thanks for the help in advance!
    Last edited by snootch; 26th Feb 2013 at 09:41.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried stream with something like universal media server?

If you want to play directly from a hdd/flash media must you reconvert everything. It's not worth it...
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I see. The xbox media player on the surface pro.

No. It's NOT worth it to reconvert video just to use another player...
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    BUt you could try mkv2mp4 to just remux the mkvs to mp4 and see how they works. No reconversion so it's very fast.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the replies, I'll see if I can do it using mkv2mp4, but I have a feeling i'll have to manually point it into each folder.
    Quote Quote