VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have made an inventory of the house with camcorder and digital camera. Can I burn the video and the jpg files to the same DVD-R?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you are making a standard dvd video then just put the jpg files outside the VIDEO_TS folder and it will work fine.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ Baldrick - I have not done this mix yet. My question how do the .jpg files play when DVD movie is played, will it play like a slideshow?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you want the stills to play as a slideshow you have to author them as a slideshow. Almost all commercial DVD athoring programs have that capability. Which are you using?

Baldrick, as always, is completely correct about adding the stills as data files and it's actually the question you asked. You would play them off the disk in a computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    They likely don't/won't BOTH play. Either your DVD player will see the VIDEO_TS and assume it is a valid DVD-Video type disc, or it will see the JPGs first and assume it is a DVD-Data disc.

You didn't originally say anything about them BOTH playing. The only way to guarantee they BOTH play in ALL players is to convert & author the JPGs as a DVD Slideshow, so you would probably end up with a root menu that shows the slides as one menu choice and the video as another.

Scott

<edit>smrpix, you beat me to it!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am going to burn a DVD-rw with the video and jpg files and see what happens. It would be fine to be able to play the dvd video on a computer and then look at the jpg photos on that computer. If that doesn't work, then authoring the jpg files will work on any stand alone player I hope.

Jay
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's not a problem at all with PCs (though you will have to navigate to the Jpeg folder yourself). Problem would be with settops.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried authoring with TMPGEnc Author. Brought in Video_TS folder but would not allow .jpg files. Used Nero as a data disk and put the video and .jpg files on. Would not run in stand alone player but would run of course, in PC.

I guess it will always have to be run on a computer.

Jay
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jay1028 View Post
    I guess it will always have to be run on a computer.
    No. The DVD itself will play in any DVD player, if you do it correctly. Burning it as a data disc is not doing it correctly.

You have the AUDIO_TS (empty), the VIDEO_TS (with the DVD files - the IFOs, BUPs, VOBs), and I create a third folder (call it maybe 'EXTRAS' or 'PICTURES') with the JPGs.

Although this isn't strictly necessary, I create an ISO of the three folders first (using ImgTool) and then (important) burn using ImgBurn. ImgTool can do the whole thing itself (create the ISO followed by burning to disc using ImgBurn). If you've created a compliant DVD this is guaranteed to work. Of course, the JPGs can only be accessed from the computer. The DVD will play in a DVD player.
    Last edited by manono; 26th Feb 2013 at 14:17.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have ImgBurn, I will look into ImgTool.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can't find a tutorial for ImgTool other than for gamers. What does this app do?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well, if you click on the link in this post, your last two posts, and my own previous post, you'll see that Imgtool is a:

Popular tool to make an image of a DVD Folder(VIDEO_TS) and also burn it. In Addition, the burning tool allows you to confirm and burn a DVD from VIDEO_TS made by any other application.
    It needs no tutorial although there are several at the bottom of its page on this site..
    Quote Quote  
  13. Actually all you need is imgburn. Even in the EZ picker there's an option to create an image file from files/folders. Follow manono's advice from earlier about the video_ts and extras folders and you should be good to go. (Assuming you already have a video_ts folder from tmpgenc.)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Clicking on the link gave me more info than google. Will try it tonight.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Actually all you need is imgburn.
    Yeah, you're right and I know that:
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Although this isn't strictly necessary, I create an ISO of the three folders first (using ImgTool)...
    I was just trying to make it easier for him. Doing it with Imgtool requires only one click to both create the ISO and then burn it. Doing it the way you described requires two clicks - first the ISO creation followed by the burning. Stop the presses! I just noticed that ImgBurn has a little box to check, 'Add To Write Queue When Done'. So one click is all that's needed even when using ImgBurn alone. Yeah, only one piece of software is needed.

Unless one can have ImgBurn burn all three folders to disc as a DVD (as opposed to a data disc) without first creating the ISO. I've never tried to do that myself because the ImgTool method works and is very easy. But, digging a little deeper. I created an 'EXTRAS' folder in a DVD ready to burn with its AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders already inside of a MOVIE (name of movie) folder, and it seems to be able to burn all three at once without the creation of an ISO first. I don't want to waste a disc to confirm that. Is that how you'd do it, smrpix?
    Quote Quote  
  16. No, I'd cheat and use Encore which has the option to define and burn your extras folder (though I don't remember it's default name at the moment.)

I agree with you manono that creating an iso first is the stoutest workflow. Imgtool does look pretty cool.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Need some help. I can add only one directory to DVD Root. I have a video folder and a jpg folder. How to get them on same DVD? Will burn the video file but not the jpg folder.
    Quote Quote  
  18. If you're using imgburn and already have a video_ts folder, your next steps should look something like this to create the iso:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	imb.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	16538

Then use imgburn again to burn the iso to a disk.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. I was using ImgTool and that is where I had the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got all the way to the end where it it time to Wrte to Disc. Says Disc needs formatting. I am using a DVD+RW. It is already erased. What now?
    Quote Quote  
  21. RW? Never touch the stuff, so I can't help you there. More specifically, stopped using it many years ago because the troubleshooting time cost more than the occasional +/-R coaster.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right now is it going on 8 mins of formatting and is at 70%. We'll see what happens. May have to use a regular DVD-R like you say.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Finally finished and put disc stand alone player. Only runs as data disc---photos only. Put disc in computer and found the video folder and jpg folder and all files play fine on computer. Could have never done this without your help.

Thanks
    smrpix
    Quote Quote  
  24. You're welcome jay, but it's odd that the dvd player isn't recognizing the video_ts folder properly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    IF putting it in a standalone shows only the jpg's (and you have the VIDEO_TS stuff on there), you've done it wrong, because most if not ALL standalones should be looking FIRST to see about DVD/BD compliant material, not generic data. So either you have a very unusual player (not likely) or you still authored/burned it wrong.

Steps:
    1. Author your material in a good authoring app. Save the output to folders (DISC ROOT folder -> VIDEO_TS, AUDIO_TS, etc)
    2. Open IMGBurn in Build mode and add the DISC ROOT folder. It will ask about that being the root or being a subfolder and you say YES make it the root. It looks to your material and sets things correctly if it finds valide DVD-Video material in the proper places. Set your output ISO name (or device output choice). Keep IMGBurn open.
    3. Gather your JPGs and put them in a subfolder under the DISC ROOT folder.
    4. Re-click the "Calculate" button/icon - it wil now add the amount for the JPGs+Folder to the existing VIDEO_TS files amount.
    5. Build/Burn. It will show "Content Type: DVD-Video" in the summary screen. And you can verify that the filesystem is UDF 1.02+ISO and you can verify that, when burning, the VIDEO_TS content burns first and the JPGs last.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by jay1028 View Post
    Got all the way to the end where it it time to Wrte to Disc. Says Disc needs formatting. I am using a DVD+RW. It is already erased. What now?
    If it's the first time being used erasing isn't enough. It has to be formatted and that takes time.
    Need some help. I can add only one directory to DVD Root. I have a video folder and a jpg folder. How to get them on same DVD? Will burn the video file but not the jpg folder.
    Then you're doing something wrong. I just tested with a small DVD with no problem at all.
    Finally finished and put disc stand alone player. Only runs as data disc---photos only.
    Then you did something wrong. Maybe this will help. I'm showing you the ImgTool way (while Cornucopia showed the ImgBurn method). Highlight the main or movie name folder with the others inside of it:
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  27. Yes, open your burned dvd in an explorer window and be sure that the video_ts folder is in the root directory.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Yeah, once burned to disc open it up in the computer and it should look something like this. G is my DVD drive:
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't have the correct structure. This is what is on the DVD.. I'll try again. Video files are in the New Folder.
    Makes sense now why the video didn't show up. It was hidden in a folder that was thought to be data like the jpgs folder.
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  30. Almost there! If you use an iso mounter you can double-check your structure before you commit to dvd. DVD Fab Virtual Drive is a good one. (Be sure to unmount before trying to burn.)
    Quote Quote