VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello
    i have cuptured a pal VHS video(tape) from VCR on res 768x576@25FPS@YUY and i used the compressor HuffYUV.
    now i have a big video file.
    my plan is first to replace some bad/lost frames with recover frames that i made by recording some part again.
    i know that it can be done by ReplaceFramesMC() in AviSynth 2.5 but it is very hard to do this that way Without seeing what I'm doing directly.
    so i decided to do that part on sony vegas.
    but after that part, i what that the new video file will be the same in settings like it was before.. i want to keep Everything!
    i don't whant that it will Touching things like FPS rate, the yuy colorspace or it will do a Deinterlace.

i hope you understand the point...

thanks for helpers!
    Quote Quote  
  2. One problem is vegas doesn't treat Huffyuv in YUY2 mode as YUY2 - it converts it to RGB using "computer RGB" , not "studio RGB" . The implications are superwhite/dark clipping, very slight loss in quality as you upsample to RGB and you're probably converting back to YUY2

The other parameters like FPS, resolution, avoiding deinterlacing are possible if you set up the project properties and export settings to match
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    One problem is vegas doesn't treat Huffyuv in YUY2 mode as YUY2 - it converts it to RGB using "computer RGB" , not "studio RGB" . The implications are superwhite/dark clipping, very slight loss in quality as you upsample to RGB and you're probably converting back to YUY2

The other parameters like FPS, resolution, avoiding deinterlacing are possible if you set up the project properties and export settings to match
    so if it is that so the solution is that sony vegas will be tha last station for Processing.
    and this is Brings me to ask how sony vegas can listen to "Frame Server" from VirtualDubMod?

my plan is to run all the AviSynth filters before it change to RGB and same more few VirtualDubMod filters.
    the VirtualDubMod "station" will be the frame sarver for sony vegas.
    and in sony vegas i will do this part and maybe more..

i heard about this Option but I've never did it
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by gil900 View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    One problem is vegas doesn't treat Huffyuv in YUY2 mode as YUY2 - it converts it to RGB using "computer RGB" , not "studio RGB" . The implications are superwhite/dark clipping, very slight loss in quality as you upsample to RGB and you're probably converting back to YUY2

so if it is that so the solution is that sony vegas will be tha last station for Processing.
    and this is Brings me to ask how sony vegas can listen to "Frame Server" from VirtualDubMod?

my plan is to run all the AviSynth filters before it change to RGB and same more few VirtualDubMod filters.
    the VirtualDubMod "station" will be the frame sarver for sony vegas.
    and in sony vegas i will do this part and maybe more..

i heard about this Option but I've never did it

Frameserving through vdub/vdubmod or avs2avi, or avfs, or any other frameserver like VFAPI INTO vegas is RGBA only . If you don't control the colorspace conversion it will do it for you (possibly with poor results, such as progressive chroma sampling instead of interlaced, superdark/white clipping)

But if you do the color fixes and things before converting to RGB, you will be ok (because you will be importing or frameserving RGB in and out)

I should clarify, it used to be that way for vegas pro 8-10 - I don't know about vegas 12 behaviour , maybe they changed it (I don't use vegas anymore) .

All commonly used lossless intermediates (lagarith, huffyuv, ffv1, ut video codec) in YV12 or YUY2 mode were converted to RGB (and not treated as YUV) . Premiere CS5/6 doesn't have this problem (but earlier versions of Premiere did)

Cineform (not truly lossless, but close) , and "IYUV" (but not other 8bit uncompressed intermedates like "YV12" or other fourCC's ) are treated as YUV in vegas
    Quote Quote  
  5. i have sony vegas 11 32 bit because the lame mp3 codac is Exist only in 32 bit and there is no 32 bit version of Sony Vegas 12..

i don't want to install a frame sarver program because VirtualDubMod have Built in Frame Sarver option..

and i don't know how to use the VirtualDubMod Frame Sarver on Sony Vegas 11..

please help me
    Quote Quote  
  6. i don't know how to use the VirtualDubMod Frame Sarver on Sony Vegas 11..
    I don't recall if vdub/vdubmod frameserver works with vegas, but there are guides . You start the frame server (file=>start frame server) , and the .vdr is imported as a "video" . Sometimes you might have to rename the .vdr as a .avi . The .vdr is a "dummy" video file. It looks like a "video" to the other application

In my experience, vegas can sometimes have problems with frameserving IN (it just won't work). The only 100% sucessful frameserver in all programs (including vegas) is avfs.

I don't know what filters you are using, but IMO, editing will be too "slow" if you stack all these filters, denoisers etc.... with frameserving. If you apply the filters before then convert to RGB, I would use a lossless RGB intermediate instead of frameserving . ie. Trying to edit while those filters , denoisers are working/being calculated in realtime will be a painful experience (vegas will be too unresponsive)

Most people don't use filters in the beginning, because many things are cut out in a rough cut at least (there is no use wasting time denoising, color correcting if that footage is going to be cut anyway) . But if this is home video source, maybe you're including everything ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. i tried to open the vdr file in vegas but there is no "vdr" type in the filetype selection..
    Quote Quote  
  8. Did you try renaming VDR to AVI ?

Like I said, frameserving IN can be a problem with vegas. The only solution that works in ALL programs 100% is avfs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. ok i don't care if i have to install more program but i need your help how to use avfs

EDIT:
    i didn't saw that it can be frame server for VirtualDub
    Quote Quote  
  10. You can work indirectly with vdub, but it' s a waste of resources , not to mention slower, with a double frameserver

vdub=> vdub frameserver => avs script => avfs => vegas

Your avs script from the vdub frameserver might look like
    AVISource("vdub.vdr")
    Quote Quote  
  11. There's a couple of files in the VirtualDub/aviproxy folder which add stuff to the registry to enable/disable the avi proxy thing and you need to run auxsetup.exe in the VirtualDub folder first, and then when you start frameserving with VirtualDub, type in the avi extension when you give the frame serving file a file name, so VirtualDub will use AVI instead of VDR.
    Then, if you're really lucky, the moon is in the right phase and it's not raining too heavily, you can open the AVI to which VirtualDub is frameserving and there's a chance it might work. I had it working at one stage a long time ago, after much time spent banging my head on the desk in frustration, then after a Windows re-install I could never get it to work again.

If you want to see what you're doing while using ReplaceFramesMC() with AVISynth, try something like AvsPmod.
    Quote Quote  
  12. There's also MakeAVIS which comes with a full install of ffdshow. You create a script to open the video, open the script with MakeAVIS and it'll save an AVI to frameserve the script. You can also get MakeAVIS to convert the audio to PCM and add that to the AVI. I think AVISynth (AVIS) needs to be enabled in the list of ffdshow's video codecs for it to work.

The fun part, if I remember correctly, is you can add to and/or modify the script you used when creating the AVI for frameserving, and those changes will apply to the video being frameserved. ie you could add noise filtering to the script and it'll be applied to the AVI..... that sort of thing. I think the exception would probably be changing the cropping and most definitely changing any resizing in the script. If you change that after creating the AVI for frameserving, bad things tend to happen if I remember correctly. However it's easy enough to delete the AVI and create a new one, and you'd probably do any cropping or resizing after the video has been frameserved anyway.

I don't think I've ever had a problem getting MakeAVIS to work. And with ffdshow decoding you can use it's filtering too (probably no resizing changes though unless you activate the resize filter before creating the AVI for frameserving).
    Trying to get VirtualDub to frameserve the second time almost made me suicidal, but maybe I was just doing something dumb.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 20th Feb 2013 at 18:11.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Ok .. I realized the crazy idea after reading again and again and again.

Sometimes what appears to be more complicated - more simple .

I prefer to to throw Sony Vegas to the garbage and use another editor that not makes troubles.
    so i will have to Learn how to use the new editor.

But I think it will be good for me in the future..

can you give me Recommendations for another video editor that will work easily with vdr?(or fake avi.. this is what i see)
    Last edited by gil900; 20th Feb 2013 at 21:09.
    Quote Quote  
  14. OK
    after i "walked" on google i understond that moust good video editor not support vdr
    so it brings me to stay with sony vegas..

and i managed to stream to sony vegas from VirtualDubMod

the way i did it is this:
    1)i opened avs script i made with all my filters in VirtualDubMod
    2)i started the frame sarver in VirtualDubMod and save it as 1.vdr
    3)i created a new avs script with the code:
    Code:
    AVISource("1.vdr")
    4)i open the program makeAVIS (by ffdshow)
    5) in makeAVIS i selected the new avs script and for output i select that it will create 1.avi
    6) i loaded the 1.avi in sony vegas.

DONE.
    now it all working with VirtualDubMod filters and Avisynth plugins
    Quote Quote