VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I create screencast with CamStudio. I use Alesis AM3 Microphone for recording.
    The video quality is good, but audio quality is very bad. Noise and hiss sound hears all though the screencast which is very bothering.

How can I remove them? Should I buy Camtasia Studio(expensive for me) or there is a better way?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance,
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It is very likely NOT the fault of the app that is doing the recording, it has more to do with the MICROPHONE type/quality, the LEVEL settings (both hardware & software, analog & digital), and the POSITIONING (to the mouth/source).

Since you are using the AM3, which is a Handheld Condenser, pre-amped, USB-interface type mike, you really shouldn't need to worry about the MICROPHONE itself, nor the level settings (not counting the "gain" control). So it likely is either that gain control, or your positioning to your mouth, or somehow the mike got defective. Or maybe something is wrong with the drivers.

How about an example clip to hear?...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use the software to calibrate the mic, then disconnect and use the mic's recorder. Monitor with headphones.

I have an H2, and it has three calibrations.

External Gain Switch - low, med, high.

Mic Recording Level - variable.

Compression/Limiter - Choose to match source.

That's the key part, not so much the rest of it.
    Last edited by budwzr; 20th Feb 2013 at 19:07.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    It is very likely NOT the fault of the app that is doing the recording, it has more to do with the MICROPHONE type/quality, the LEVEL settings (both hardware & software, analog & digital), and the POSITIONING (to the mouth/source).

Since you are using the AM3, which is a Handheld Condenser, pre-amped, USB-interface type mike, you really shouldn't need to worry about the MICROPHONE itself, nor the level settings (not counting the "gain" control). So it likely is either that gain control, or your positioning to your mouth, or somehow the mike got defective. Or maybe something is wrong with the drivers.

How about an example clip to hear?...

Scott
    Thanks for your response,

I use my laptop with windows 7. I have recorded by Audacity. My sample sound is attached.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Use the software to calibrate the mic, then disconnect and use the mic's recorder. Monitor with headphones.

I have an H2, and it has three calibrations.

External Gain Switch - low, med, high.

Mic Recording Level - variable.

Compression/Limiter - Choose to match source.

That's the key part, not so much the rest of it.
    Thanks for your response, but I do not know how to set the settings that you mentioned e.g. calibrate.
    If possible tell me step by step with required software names.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I find most mic recording causes some sort of added noise.
    Post production is probably the way to go. Whatever is causing it, the noise/interference is constant and easily removed with filters. It may not be perfect but I think you will agree it is much better.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    I find most mic recording causes some sort of added noise.
    Post production is probably the way to go. Whatever is causing it, the noise/interference is constant and easily removed with filters. It may not be perfect but I think you will agree it is much better.
    Thanks so much. how did you do that? What software?
    If possible please tell me the filters and software.

Can you also tell me how to remove such noises from screencast?

Looking forward to that..
    Quote Quote  
  8. You already have the software: Audacity.
    Google audacity and noise reduction.
    'You get what you pay for' is an old adage but usually true. If you want better I believe Adobe Audition has superior filters for this kind of thing but I have never used it, so can't advise.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But don't forget the "$10 haircut on a fifty-cent head" rule.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I do not know why I can understand the meaning of your sentences!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by reardes View Post
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I do not know why I can understand the meaning of your sentences!
    Why use expensive software to try and fix a simple problem, that goes away when the recording is done properly?

Scott already explained the issue. You need to set your mic up properly.

Go open up Audacity and practice different settings on the mic, using your headphones as a monitor, and you'll discover everything. You just have to make some effort.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    You already have the software: Audacity.
    'You get what you pay for' is an old adage but usually true. If you want better I believe Adobe Audition has superior filters for this kind of thing but I have never used it, so can't advise.
    Thanks I learned the trick.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by reardes View Post
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    You already have the software: Audacity.
    Thanks I learned the trick.
    What you learned is how to avoid learning anything.
    Quote Quote  
  14. @budwzr

I agree. However, if it's a previous, one-off recording that needs a bit of remedial processing he may find the knowledge useful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Agree too.

But the OP did come in here to get help for making a better recording, and asked for a better way.

It's shocking how our younger generation foregoes the details and elaborates the sizzle and bling. And that's in line with Nero's fiddle, that's when Rome fell.
    Quote Quote