VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. neophyte
    Search Comp PM
    I want to cut a bit out of an .avi file and save it back out to disk, but I get no sound when I do that, and error messages.

I get errors and no sound in VLC, which says "VLC does not support the audio or video format "undef", unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this."

Well that sounds rather hopeless....

So I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. I assumed I didn't define the audio format, but I don't really know how to do that, which of them to pick. The choices in MPEGStreamclip do not include MP3, and that's what the stream info says it is. What to do? Is there a way to get MP3 as a choice? Import it into MPEGStreamclip somehow?

Scratching head here....

I'm on a Mac Mini running Mountain Lion
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using the save to or export to avi in mpegstreamclip?

If you use the Save to it should not be reconverted.

I just tried trim an avi with divx video and mp3 audio and it worked fine. I used the File->Save to and choosed avi. I'm using mpeg streamclip 1.9.3b8 on mac os x 10.8.2
    Quote Quote  
  3. neophyte
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Are you using the save to or export to avi in mpegstreamclip?

If you use the Save to it should not be reconverted.

I just tried trim an avi with divx video and mp3 audio and it worked fine. I used the File->Save to and choosed avi. I'm using mpeg streamclip 1.9.3b8 on mac os x 10.8.2
    Aha! I was exporting it to .avi, which is probably my problem... let me just try this again....Okay, now it gets about a third of the way through and gives me "Error, no video compressor."

Well now what's the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What is the video codec in the avi? Identify with mediainfo if you don't know. VLC should also be able to show the video codec, under tools->codec information.
    Quote Quote  
  5. neophyte
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    What is the video codec in the avi? Identify with mediainfo if you don't know. VLC should also be able to show the video codec, under tools->codec information.
    Well the stream info says:

Duration: 0:19:47
    Data Size: 160.21 MB
    Bit Rate: 1.13 Mbps

Video Tracks:
    Xvid, 624 × 352, 23.976 fps, 1.07 Mbps

Audio Tracks:
    MPEG Layer-3 Audio stereo, 48 kHz, 134 kbps

VLC on my machine doesn't have a tools menu choice, but the media information only shows audio codec info.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried install perian also?

And you are using latest mpeg streamclip beta?
    Quote Quote  
  7. DivX with codecpack does the job
    You should download the latest DivX including codecs from http://dist.divx.com/divx/codecpack/DivXInstaller.dmg
    After a restart of MPEG StreamClip, the "export audio" dialogue shows mp3 again.

I found this solution on http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1493330, tried it out and it works.
    Quote Quote