VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking for advice on the above situation. 10yr old DLP works fine( except for burning out lamps). Have spent hours researching on line. The BDP-BX59 has the HDMI and a composite Video output. Optical audio output. The latter works fine with my Panasonic receiver. I assume composite video will be analog. Question: If I run the HDMI into a Kanex ATV Pro converter and then A VGA cable from there into the PC (15 pin) input of the DLP will it work, and will it be 720P digital? Is it worth the extra expense of the converter and VGA cable? Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would have thought that anything that ends up as 'VGA' will be analogue
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, "VGA" is an analog signal. Just because it comes from a computer, doesn't mean it's ALL digital (the RCA line out from a sound card is analog, too).
    The only "digital" video interfaces are (in ~historical order):
    1. SDI (& HD-SDI)
    2. DVI-D (DVI-A is analog & DVI-I is a combo of the two)
    3. HDMI
    4. DisplayPort

What resolution a signal is capable of after being converted is dependent upon a number of factors:
    1. The converter box's capability
    2. The display device's capability
    3. The "allowed" HDMI conversion capability/whether the converter box closely complies with HDCP rules.

You probably won't really know until you get the box & test it out...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    HD video didn't exist at the consumer level (no HD-DVD or BluRay) when your DLP was made. The reason I say this is that it seems to me that unless it is capable of acting like a computer monitor with a greater than 720x480 resolution, your plan may work but it won't give you 720p video.

You're basically just going to have to gamble the money on it like Scott says. I'm not sure that it's really worth trying to squeeze more life out of technology that old, but there's an endless number of people who disagree with me like you, so good luck on your task.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DLP set has a DVI input. Am going to get an HDMI to DVI cable and try that. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by basildean52 View Post
    DLP set has a DVI input. Am going to get an HDMI to DVI cable and try that. Thanks
    HDCP compliance is very unlikely for a TV that old. In case you don't understand the importance of HDCP compliance, if the DVI input on the TV is not HDCP compliant then the Blu-Ray player either won't output a picture for HDCP encoded discs, or will play them at a reduced resolution.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Feb 2013 at 11:56.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by basildean52 View Post
    This in no way proves that the TV is even capable of displaying at greater than standard resolutions. Also, what usually_quiet said applies. It seems like you're determined to do this anyway, so let us know what happens.
    Quote Quote