VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your freeware/cheapware editor can do this, I'm looking for it so please tell me what you're using!

GUI with clip thumbnails (preferably with configurable hierarchical "folders")
    Can preferably display thumbnail details like duration, start/end time, dimensions and date taken
    Can preferably arrange thumbnails by any of their attributes
    Can rename thumbnails
    Thumbnail preview
    Realtime output preview
    Can resize preview
    Marked timeline (preferably storyboard view too)
    Can resize timeline and storyboard both horizontally and vertically
    At least 1 extra audio/music track
    Can display audio waveform
    Can input DV AVI
    Can create clips from DV DATECODE changes
    Can input from Avisynth
    Can input from a lossless format, preferably Lagarith or HuffYUV
    Can input photos to fit frame (i.e. without messing up aspect ratio)
    Can load and edit audio files (i.e. no video)
    Can output to DV
    Can smart/direct render DV in to DV out (i.e. not re-encoding unchanged frames)
    Can output video to a lossless format, preferably Lagarith or HuffYUV
    Can output audio to uncompressed format, e.g. PCM u16le
    Can work with non-square pixels without resizing (e.g. PAL 720x576 @ 4:3 aspect ratio)
    Can work and output in the YV12 colourspace without conversion
    Can process and output 50fps material
    Frame-accurate video navigation (in 1-frame steps)
    Frame-accurate cutting and trimming with Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, Undo/Redo of course
    Clip transitions: at least fade
    Can configure transitions, at least duration
    Effects: at least fade in/out (black), zoom in/out, pan, blur; preferably also slow down/speed up and film grain/old film
    Can configure effects, at least duration and starting and ending values
    Can overlay text
    Can configure overlay text, at least motion, duration, font, size and colour
    Can preferably shape audio (i.e. changing volume up/down from/to user-specified levels, in addition to fade to/from zero)
    Transitions, effects and text are anchored to content (i.e. they shift with the content when adding or deleting earlier in the timeline)
    Keyboard shortcuts (preferably configurable) for common navigation and editing tasks
    Can take snapshot from current frame
    Can save work in some kind of project file (preferably an editable text file)
    If you have something that comes close but rounds out the list with commonly-used tools please feel free to also mention that.

Thanks,
    Francois
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, I'd say Serif MoviePlus can pretty much do all that... not free but not bad for about US$80. They have a free starter version but it's obviously a bit dated now or it wouldn't be free, so why not just get the real thing?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I would buy last years version of Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum for $29.00 or so at Amazon. Can you get Amazon to ship to you in South Africa?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I give you credit for knowing what you want, but your list of requirements is absurd for freeware. You will have to buy a commercial program to do that. TreeTops suggestion is probably best. Amazon does ship internationally, but there may be restrictions on software shipping so you'll just have to try to order it and see if they let you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    your list of requirements is absurd for freeware
    Hehe, perhaps on the face of it. However, all I'm looking for is something that does a solid job of the basics - no unnecessary re-encoding, no forced colourspace conversions and lossless/frameserved input and output. That's the main thing and I regard few bells and whistles as essential otherwise. Attached an updated list that distinguishes between what's essential and what's optional. Even the lowly Movie Maker (<= 6.0, NOT Live) comes fairly close.

That just by way of trying to clarify. I'm grateful for the comments and suggestions and will definitely follow up on them.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by fvisagie; 26th Feb 2013 at 01:48.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I would beg to differ with you about this: Even the lowly Windows-Movie-Maker comes close.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    TreeTops suggestion is probably best. Amazon does ship internationally, but there may be restrictions on software shipping so you'll just have to try to order it and see if they let you.
    Amazon does ship to South Africa, but when ordering it turns out "that particular item isn't eligible for international shipping". And although it can be ordered directly from Adorama at the same price, their international shipping is $84! Pity, that's a really good deal. Thanks anyway for the recommendation, TreeTops.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PS. Is the Movie Studio 11 Sony sells these days the same thing that was previously known as Movie Studio HD Platinum 11? Just with the "HD Platinum" dropped for better differentiation of the current Platinum 12 range? Movie Studio 11's buy URL certainly suggests it was previously called HD. Or any other suggested sources for Movie Studio HD Platinum 11?

Thanks!
    Last edited by fvisagie; 9th Mar 2013 at 10:27.
    Quote Quote  
  9. There are some indications that the Platinum version has more features. Especially in the render section.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I got hold of the manual which highlights the following extra features for the Platinum version:

5.1 surround
    capturing HDV
    importing AVCHD
    stereoscopic 3D support
    burning DVD/Blu-Ray
    saving to HDV camera
    The Movie Studio 11 trial I downloaded is then clearly the non-Platinum version.

After reading on the Cyberlink and Sony Creative Software forums how regularly people make a plan to get things into and out of Avisynth when they're concerned about quality or doing something special, I've now resigned myself to a Notepad-only world! Seeing that I'm up and running with Avisynth already, and also AvsPmod.

Thanks for all the suggestions. In case someone else treads this path in the near future I attach the latest evaluation results.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by fvisagie View Post
    Thanks. I got hold of the manual which highlights the following extra features for the Platinum version:

5.1 surround
    capturing HDV
    importing AVCHD
    stereoscopic 3D support
    burning DVD/Blu-Ray
    saving to HDV camera
    You're only 50% wrong.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare
    Quote Quote  
  12. For some reason they do not show Vegas Movie Studio 11 Platinum on that comparison chart.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TreeTops,
    the reason may be that it shows only the latest, i.e. current versions that SCS sells. One needs to buy older versions elsewhere. If you find the 'slip sleeve' edition, it may miss some extras that the original edition has.
    As above noted, Movie Studio 11 misses a lot of features that the Platinum versions have.
    Quote Quote  
  14. My point was that half the features he claims aren't included in the non-platinum version indeed are.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    My point was that half the features he claims aren't included in the non-platinum version indeed are.
    Yes, the comparison table you mentioned is very useful and should be investigated before making a decision.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fvisagie View Post

5.1 surround
    capturing HDV
    importing AVCHD
    stereoscopic 3D support
    burning DVD/Blu-Ray
    saving to HDV camera
    You're only 50% wrong.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare
    I beg to differ. The only additional feature the comparison claims for 11 HD is AVCHD support. Regarding HDV support, remember I'm referring to capturing, not importing.

In any case, it's a case of Sony's manual vs Sony's web table... And for me it's become a moot point.

In case it has any use to someone else, a last note on looking into VMS 11 HD. I downloaded and installed it, opened the new project screen to confirm whether it supports 5.1 or not (thereby confirming whether it's HD or HD Platinum), then uninstalled it. Afterwards, the DirectShow filter chain was broken for Lagarith-encoded AVIs. VfW applications still opened them fine, but applications using DirectShow only played audio without video. Reinstalling the Lagarith codec, using filter repair tools, nothing fixed the problem. I had to restore from a backup image. I took that as a poor sign .
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by fvisagie View Post
    Regarding HDV support, remember I'm referring to capturing, not importing.
    That's ridiculous. The home versions of Vegas were practically BUILT around the HDV workflow. What do you think they were expecting home users to do, use HDVsplit?

http://dspcdn.sonycreativesoftware.com/manuals/moviestudiope100_qsg_enu.pdf

page 18, if you aren't too busy fixing your computer.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM

That's ridiculous. The home versions of Vegas were practically BUILT around the HDV workflow.

http://dspcdn.sonycreativesoftware.com/manuals/moviestudiope100_qsg_enu.pdf

page 18, if you aren't too busy fixing your computer.
    I agree . http://dspcdn.sonycreativesoftware.com/manuals/moviestudiope110_qsg_enu.pdf
    page 18:

Capturing HDV video
    You can use the internal Vegas Movie Studio video capture tool to
    capture video clips from your HDV video camera and add them to
    the Project Media window.
    This feature is available only in Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum.
    This manual is identical to the one that comes with the 11 HD download (I did a byte compare).

It's a case of Sony vs. Sony, as I said. I wouldn't know better either way, and now no longer care .
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by fvisagie View Post
    Capturing HDV video
    You can use the internal Vegas Movie Studio video capture tool to
    capture video clips from your HDV video camera and add them to
    the Project Media window.
    This feature is available only in Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum.
    The final line you quoted appears three pages and several topics later... Aren't you clever?
    Last edited by smrpix; 11th Mar 2013 at 12:05.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not with you there? Perhaps we're having a misunderstanding, I quoted that verbatim from http://dspcdn.sonycreativesoftware.com/manuals/moviestudiope110_qsg_enu.pdf, bottom of page 18. Is that the same document you're referring to? [Edit: note it isn't the same link as the one you posted - they get shortened in the displayed posts.]

It isn't my intention to knock the product or to offend otherwise. Sorry if it came across differently. If anything I'm mostly disappointed after putting in effort trying to find an NLE that works for me, getting excited about trying 11 PE also, not being able to get hold of it, trying the version available for download and that also not working out. And sorry that what I conveyed from the manual seems to be causing an argument, also not my intention.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Wow. Mea culpa. You are correct.

I am generally so impressed with the capabilities of Movie Studio it didn't seem possible something so basic was missing.
    I didn't see what was in front of my eyes -- and I looked repeatedly.

Sony did restructure their product line recently, Movie Studio HD was dropped, but that doesn't explain my blindness.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Peace and Good Luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vegasmanual.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	16696
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Movie Studio HD was dropped
    As far as I could tell from "that manual" and the download, it's pretty clear that it's actually Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 that got dropped. That download is Movie Studio HD 11.

Perhaps a Vega-file can confirm that for us.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I can tell, Movie Studio HD 11 build 75 is Movie Studio 11. Movie Studio 11 and Movie Studio Platinum 12 (and Suite) were both released in Aug. 2012. To use the terminology that SCS uses here, MStudio HD Platinum 11 was upgraded (=new numbered version) to MStudio Platinum 12, while MStudio HD 11 was updated (=new build) to MStudio 11. The HD and the Vegas were dropped from the titles then.

Btw, you might be interested to read the chapters on Capturing HDV clips in Movie Studio Online Help.
    I only have the Platinum(s) myself.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That fits in with what I found. The Movie Studio 11 available for download is build 75.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BTW, and this is probably a long shot, but would any of you living in the States or Canada be prepared to receive the Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 disc from the supplier on my behalf and upload its ISO image for me? Or do you have any alternatives to paying the $84 shipping - the supplier offers no other international shipping options? Maybe somebody visiting SA and dropping in for a beer soon?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    fvisagie,
    I don't know if you've already tried this, but you can download moviestudiope11.0.322.exe here
    http://download.sonymediasoftware.com/current/
    It's the last build (322) of Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11. You cannot buy it from Sony since they don't sell older versions, so if you're going to activate it after the trial, you do need to buy the version/serial number elsewhere. Maybe somebody upgraded to MSP 12 and would be willing to sell and transfer the licence.
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/Forums/ShowMessage.asp?Forum=4&MessageID=811316

I'd suggest though you buy the MSP 12 D/L version from SCS online store, if you find that the Platinum version is ok with you.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, vkmast, I'll look into it. If there's something useful on the SCS forum link you posted, please copy it here? Somehow the link ends up taking me to the SCS online store.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    fvisagie,
    sorry, the SCS linking doesn't always seem to work. That thread is about transferring the licence.
    Try to copy and paste these
    sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&MessageID=811316
    sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&MessageID=839983
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vkmast,

Thanks very much. I've downloaded the installation and am waiting for the supplier to hopefully confirm that they'll email me the serial number once purchased!
    Quote Quote