VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With the free AVSTODVD can you convert most of your video files to standard DVD-Video that will work on most standalone DVD Players.

Software required:
    AVSTODVD

Preperation:
    Download and install AVSTODVD . Be sure to install the included Avisynth, Imgburn, etc. You can skip it if you already have installed them.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	avstodvd1.png
Views:	43817
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	16206

Guide:
    When you first start AVSTODVD set the default DVD standard, north american users select NTSC and European users choose PAL.

Name:	avstodvd2.png
Views:	30470
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	16207

1. Load your video files. AVSTODVD supports most formats like avi, mp4, mkv, flv. Don't put too many hours video/DVD. Around 2-3 hours.
    2. You can also load extra audio tracks or subtitles by right click on each track and seelct audio/subtitle track -> add.
    3. Set the DVD Size, DVD-5 for normal DVD-R and DVD-9 for DVD-R Dual Layer or use a custom size.
    4. Under Output can you select to burn, output to a dvd folder(video_Ts), make iso or make a mpeg2 file. I choose the ISO UDF Image. I can then test the DVD before I burn it.
    5. Now start. The encoding will take anything from some minutes to several hours depending how fast your computer is.

Name:	avstodvd3.png
Views:	30274
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	16208

Several windows should popup. Don't close anything. Like:

Name:	quenc.png
Views:	42924
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	16225

Now waaaaaaaait. If you are converting several hours of video it will probably take some hours.

After it's completed test play the ISO with for example VLC media player, select media->open file and open the iso file.

Name:	mpc.png
Views:	29899
Size:	478.3 KB
ID:	16222

Last burn the ISO with Imgburn
    Start Imgburn and select Write Image to DVD
    Open the ISO file.
    Burn!

Name:	imgburn.png
Views:	29821
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	16223
    Last edited by Baldrick; 11th Feb 2013 at 11:40.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hello, I've been burning a couple of dvds for playing in my dvd player and the've worked perfectly. Howeve I've got this doubt: I got my video_ts folder from avstodvd from an italian movie I purchased long ago. The orginal dvd does not have Spanish subt (it only has russian and English). I got the Spanish subt in .srt and would like to know how to include them on the folder before burning with ImgBurn.

Can you help me again? Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cristina Borello View Post
    Hello, I've been burning a couple of dvds for playing in my dvd player and the've worked perfectly. Howeve I've got this doubt: I got my video_ts folder from avstodvd from an italian movie I purchased long ago. The orginal dvd does not have Spanish subt (it only has russian and English). I got the Spanish subt in .srt and would like to know how to include them on the folder before burning with ImgBurn.

Can you help me again? Thanks a lot!
    You can re-author the DVD using AVStoDVD to add the subtitle.

1. Right-click on the Title (located in the Source Titles box).
    2. Move the cursor to "Subtitles (max 3)" on the context menu.
    3. Click "Add Subtitles" in the fly-out menu to add the new Spanish Subtitles.

If you need to remove a subtitle:
    1. Right-click on the subtitle track to be removed.
    2. Move the cursor to "Subtitles (max 3)" in the context menu.
    3. Click "Remove Subtitle" from the fly-out menu.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Nov 2013 at 10:42.
    Quote Quote  
  4. @Cristina

if you already have the VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS folders, before adding the new SRT subs in AVStoDVD, you have to demux the original assets files (m2v -> video, ac3 -> audio, sup ->subs) and then use those assets files as source files of the new AVStoDVD project. Then you can add the new subs as explained by usually_quiet.

To demux you can use the 'Tools'/'Parse DVD' utility in AVStoDVD.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  5. Click image for larger version

Name:	Nueva imagen (15).gif
Views:	1872
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	21279Hello everyone, thanks for your kind help, but I'm still unable to solve it. I've got only a VIDEO_TS folder. Thing is when I drag and drop the VIDEO_TS folder to AVStoDVD the following message popa up:

Warning! Unrecognized or unsopported file format for tittle:

E:VIDEO_TS.BUP

Do you want to continue anyway?

This way more than I can handel! Can you help me again? Thanks
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nueva imagen (14).jpg
Views:	1058
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	21278  

Last edited by Cristina Borello; 16th Nov 2013 at 12:29. Reason: wrong screenshot
    Quote Quote  
  6. @Cristina

AVStoDVD does not accept VIDEO_TS folder as source title. Prior you have to demux the elementary (m2v for video, ac3 for audio, sup for subtitles) files using the 'Parse DVD' utility. See main window, Tools menu.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hello, recently I authorised a dvd from an mkv file with AVStoDVD and the audio is delayed. AVStoDVD worked perfectly all the other times I used it so I was wondering perhaps I didi something wrong but I repeated the process exactly the same as ever. Does anybody know what can be the problem? So that I don't do it again.

PS in the original mkv file audio an image run OK.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    ^It may simply be an issue in the way the original audio was made. If the audio is delayed by a set amount throughout the movie, you can adjust this in AVStoDVD when you try to make another copy. You will need to know the amount of delay (or advance).

To do this, import the video, then right click on it in the main window of AVStoDVD. One of the options you'll get is Edit Title. Once you click Edit Title, go to the AviSynth tab and remove the check mark next to Auto AviSynth Script. You can then click on Audio, put a check mark in Delay Audio and insert the amount of time in milliseconds that you want to advance or delay the audio.

By the way, another way of importing a dvd-video into AVStoDVD is to open the Video_TS folder and select the VTS_01_0.IFO file to import into AVStoDVD. Say yes to have it indexed for you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I see what you mean Kerry your idea is that I check the Video_TS folder before I burn it. Thing is I never imagined this happening because in the original mkv file audio and image run OK(I watched it twice) . The problem appeared only when I converted into DVD structure and burnt it. Dou you know what can be the problem? So far AVStoDVD has been great, this being the only problem I got.

Thanks for your help I'll check the Video_TS folders from now on.
    Last edited by Cristina Borello; 17th Dec 2013 at 06:55. Reason: adding info
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    ? No, I'm afraid you've misunderstood me. If the delay in the sound is the same throughout the movie in your output from AVStoDVD, you can try to encode it again from the original mkv file and do this adjustment I described in my earlier post. The only tricky part is determining the amount of delay to apply.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I noticed the boxes were checked for haali Media Spiltter, MKVToolNix, and ActiveX Controls but were not stated to install those, So should they be installed also?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ah OK Kerry got it now. Thanks I have another question: Doing the same process: building a DVD structure from a mkv file with AVStoDVD the programm gives me this message:

'12:32:04' Title 1 subs encoding operations started.
    '13:25:32' WARNING! Process aborted during 'Title 1 SUBS encoding operations start' Section.

For tis movie I had to manually adjust a subtitle with Subtitle Edit. Can that be the problem? Gee it took too long to adjust the subtitle and have been doing the same for another mkv file. Can this be fixed?
    Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    For tis movie I had to manually adjust a subtitle with Subtitle Edit. Can that be the problem?
    Yes.

Subtitles can be their own special kind of hell to deal with. But there isn't enough in that error message to go on and offer suggestions to fix it.
    I've used Subtitle Workshop in the past, when I've had no other choice but to work with subtitles.

Try importing the original subtitle and see if it gives the same error message. That may give you a better clue as to whether your adjustments were the actual cause of the error or not.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi Kerry sorry to bother you again, the subtitle I was telling you about are not in the mkv file, I downloaded them. The mkv file only has buil in english subtitle. I this the subtitle you suggest me to import?

By the way I was thinking about converting the mkv into avi (after all my objective is to play it in a stand alone dvd player) but in the past I tried to mkv to avi converters and they were crap. Do you know any that really work?

Thanks for your time!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    There is simply no way for me to know what is wrong with the downloaded subtitle file. I thought you were working with one that came with the mkv file. Importing it unchanged by you is still something you could try, but it may be screwed up anyway.

For mkv to an avi file that will play on Divx compatible dvd players, there are several possible programs. Try Video to Video, which is a GUI for ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yes I know it's hard to know what I mean, the problem with the sub was that it run completely out of sync and it was not a matter of adjusting the first line, had to do it manually.

With Video to Video will I be able to add my modified sub as external srt file?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    With Video to Video will I be able to add my modified sub as external srt file?
    Yes, you will. Import your mkv file, choose avi as output and you will see a lot of options on the right side. Click on the Subtitle file line and you will be able to navigate to the subtitle file you wish to use.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  19. My question is on chaptering in AVStoDVD. I have made a few samples and am still getting using to using a DVD authoring program. I haven't used these since Nero first brought one out.

My use of what seems to be the default HCenc encoder does not reveal any chapter content.
    How does one change the encoder to QuEnc?
    Also, what sort of button can be put on the title screen to go to chapters and their thumbnails? I only see "Play All" as the default on the title screen.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hi loninappleton,

first of all welcome there.

About chaptering, AVStoDVD can create chapters within the DVD titles (move forth or back with your remote controller during playback), but it is not able to create DVD Menu pages showing chapters in an automatic way. That's a limitation of BatchMux, the wrapper to Muxman, the authoring tool that AVStoDVD launches to author DVDs.

QuEnc is no longer used in the latest AVStoDVD release, fully replaced by FFmpeg.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick for the simple instructions on using AVSTODVD

The first time I tried this to convert a video.mkv file to DVD it crashed about 1 hr, 15 minutes into it when it reached the authoring stage. I haven't figured out why yet.

One question, after step 1 when I select my file a window pops up asking me to select audio tracks. On my video the default is english and I know there is a Japanese audio track also, which i don't want, so I only selected the first one. Then at the bottom of this window is a check box to 'demux audio track', Do I check this or not?

thanks for any help anyone can give me.
    Quote Quote  
  22. @jc8952

to better understand why the authoring stage failed, post here the project log file.

About the 'demux audio track' option, you should use it only if without demuxing there are problems. Usually it is not necessary.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've uploaded both DVD log files and the BatchMux log. THere is also a text file called chapters but I didn't upload that.

I saw in another thread that someone was having a similar problem and you asked them to run Muxman. I tried that and was able to create all the .vob, .ifo and .bup files and the video would play and I could burn it to a disc. One problem though is it didn't create chapters so I could not skip forward or backward while it was playing, I could only play from the beginning to the end.

Why doesn't it automatically run Muxman, and just stop at that stage and how can I get it to divide into chapters?

I really appreciate the help,

Thank you,

JC

P.S. I figured out about the check box for demuxing the audio files before your reply
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does this program support dual layer, i.e., burn one DVD5 for layer 0 and another DVD5 for layer1 for the purpose of providing to a replication plant?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not very bright on some technology, so you'll have to forgive any ignorance ...

I recently got this and imgburn to put mp4 videos onto a playable DVD, but I'm having trouble following these instructions. I try to change the Output to the ISO thing but it's faded out on mine and won't select.

Any ideas on what I can do?
    Quote Quote  
  26. ISO build mode becomes available if you have installed ImgBurn.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  27. How much time estimate to convert a 900mb movie to dvd-format? Hours?

Is there another software to achieve the same task in les time?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by RDalmagro View Post
    How much time estimate to convert a 900mb movie to dvd-format? Hours?
    Many factors:

- your system CPU speed
    - source format and picture size
    - source duration
    - encoding options

As reference, nowadays on a mid level CPU, you can convert a SD 1h30' source to DVD in about 30-40 minutes.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Help. When converting a .mkv video to DVD I'm getting duplicate subtitles.

The original video is in French with English subs and there is no separate file for the subs. They seem to be inside the .mkv file. When I play the .mkv file with VLC media player I see the English subs and can toggle them on and off. When I use AVStoDVD and select the title, the sub file shows up in the list. After converting I get two subs. One is the complete dialog with a font size reduced from the original which can be toggled on and off. There is also a second set of subs but the font size is larger than the original and it only has about half the original dialog. Plus this second set of subs is hard coded and can't be turned off.

How can I get rid of this second (and incomplete) set of subtitles?

I've tried forcing HCenc and then FFmpeg coding but get the same result. I've also tried editing the ffdshow subtitle window but again get the same result.

I'm including screen shots of the original AVStoDVD set up and build direct show filters graph...

Thanks for any help one can give.

Name:	AVS-Rififi.jpg
Views:	25041
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	24879Click image for larger version

Name:	Rififi-codecs.jpg
Views:	25052
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	24880
    Quote Quote