VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I finally upgraded to a wireless N router today for streaming to my tablet (got a nas working so I can stream my 720p h264 mkv files to my tablet without buffering delays - so far at least in my initial testing I've been very happy with it).

My question is how to do this for the ps3. I have an older FAT 40gb model that from all I have been reading up on has just an internal G wireless card. So that would that throttle me at 54mbps but I want to go to 300 which my netgear router supports (ok "MAX" 300 not full 300 I get it but the point is I want every last mpbs I can get for stable hd streaming to the ps3).

So I'm reading that the ps3 does have a gigabit port on it and it worked fine when I was wired to my old G router but now I moved it another room hence the need for wireless streaming. SD material seems to stream just fine but watching hd trailers over youtube has horrible buffering delays - something that didn't happen when I was hardwired to my old G router.

I was reading that apparently if you get a wireless N router and connect it to the ps3 and set it up as an access point that will allow n speeds. Did I read that correctly?

I can't believe they don't have an official N adapter for the ps3 like the microsoft does for the xbox 360. Or do they and I haven't found a link for it yet?

Has anyone worked this out correctly? Advice is appreciated. I am still in the early stages of my search.

Thanks.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Best to buy another router for your ps3 and plug it in and use it as a bridge.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Best to buy another router for your ps3 and plug it in and use it as a bridge.
    So that will work?

So I just I need to pick up a n router that supports 300mbps and plug that straight into the ps3? Is the bridge feature available in all routers or is it something I need to look into specifically before picking one up?

Oh and I tried again and some trailers in hd played perfectly and I thought it was just a fluke about the buffering earlier but it still buffered badly on other trailers so I will need to jump to n to get this right for hd streaming.

Thanks.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Should work,haven't done it myself,just what other people do with their ps3 in your situation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Should work,haven't done it myself,just what other people do with their ps3 in your situation.

Sounds good. I'll check it out.

I think I might try that with my old G router that I replaced. I have a winxp computer in another room that I am using a different wifi adapter so I can use wpa 2 to get the full 300mpbs on my devices. The network card I was using only did the normal wpa. But its a usb adapter.

I will try my old g (actually a super 108 g router) and see if it has the bridge mode to use that as my wireless connector on that computer. (not for more speed but to free up the usb slot).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi yoda313.

To make this get a TP-LINK WR1043N.

Router 1 (Wireless N) >>>>>>> Router 2 (WR1043ND) >>>>>>>Wired PS3 = Hi quality stream.

WR1043ND will work with all router devices N using Gargoyles Firmware

Have 3 WR1043N on my house and PS3/HTPC/2 NETBOOK/1 NOTEBOOK/2 DESKTOP/3 CELLS ANDROID, all working.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't get a tp-link router,had 2 of them going offline at least once a week,found that the cisco routers didn't go offline at all,only thing about them is their signal range are a bit shorter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cisco routers does not allow the use of alternative firmwares. Because this suggested TP-LINK(Never problem to me, the OP has one TP-WR64G2, I think).

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestion cauptain. And thanks johns0.

I think I'll just find an inexpensive n router to use as a bridge - one that does support 300 that is. Then I'll go from there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you need to setup a bridge directly to the transmitting router first and then attach the router to the receiving device?

I haven't picked up the extra N router yet for the ps3 but I"m trying to get my old super g router connected to my second computer in another room.

I've switched it from the internet connection port and the lan (slot 1) and neither have let me access the router page.

For now I'm sticking with a usb wireless adapter on that computer but I'd like to get the old g router setup as a bridged router.

would there be any problems with both routers being netgear brands? In fact they are the same physical format even though they are several years apart and one is n and one is g.

The information I saw on the netgear page showed it connected to the existing router. However the point for doing this is to use it wirelessly. Do I need to connect it physically first to "activate" it so to speak for the bridging process?

I would have thought I could do this remotely - that is on the second computer without attaching the two routers together physically. I can do it if I need to I'm just surprised I can't do it remotely - at least not with my rather limited networking knowledge - i'm definitely more of a plug and play type of guy but I'll get my hands dirty if I have to.

I can see that the old router is physically connected to my second computer. The number 1 lan port is lit up and doing ipconfig I can see an ip for it but i can't login to it nor the router page that netgear uses for their routers.

More advice is definitely welcomed. If I must first physically connect the old router to the new router before using it as a bridge please let me know.

I guess I'll have to consider this a dry run through before I go get the other wireless n router for the ps3.

Thanks everyone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whats model old router??

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    wpn824v3
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This model dont have BRIDGE option. No Wireless connect mode to u.

To work:

Modem in Bridge Mode, DHCP disable (Wired) - IP: 10.0.0.1 =======> Router N, PPPOE Mode, DHCP Enable (Wired) - IP: 192.168.254.254 =======> Router G, LAN port - DHCP disable.
    Any doubt, reply Yoda.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @cauptain - I'm not sure I follow. When you post in the quote modem in bridge mode do you mean my cable modem? Would that alter any of my wired abilities? I have a computer and my xbox 360 hooked up via lan to my new n router. I don't want to change any of that functionality.

Are those the recommended ip settings to try to get my old g router into bridge then?

I do appreciate the assistance. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry Yoda, I´m based on my config.

My setup: ADSL Modem + 3 Routers TL-WR1043N

ADSL Modem in Bridge mode, DHCP off, IP: 10.1.1.1

Router 1 in PPPOE mode connected wired on Modem, DHCP on, IP: 192.168.254.254

Router 2 connected using Wireless Bridge mode on Router 1, DHCP off.

Router 3 connected using Wireless Bridge mode on Router 1, DHCP off.

If you use Cable modem, its few different setup.

Cable modem active connect, DHCP on.

Router 1 connected using in LAN Wired connection from Cable Modem, DHCP off.

Router 2 connected using in LAN Wired mode on Router 1, DHCP off.

or
    Cable modem active connect, DHCP off.

Router 1 connected using in WAN Wired connection from Cable Modem, DHCP on.

Router 2 connected using in LAN Wired mode on Router 1, DHCP off.
    Your computer and xbox 360 hooked via lan not change anything.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I bought a new N router to use with the ps3 (I haven't gotten onto getting the old G router working on the other computer yet).

I bought the western digital my net n750 because it has gigabit ports at a decent price. I've been trying for awhile this evening to get it going. I finally read this part of the manual and managed to access it using my tablet to get to the routers setup page:

Using the Router as an Access Point
    You can use your My Net router as an extender or access point (AP). Extender mode can:
    �� Add wireless coverage to a home network without wireless coverage.
    �� Expand a home network’s wireless coverage.
    Note: To use the router in extender mode, the router must be connected by wire
    to your computer.
    To convert the router to extender mode:
    1. Click the Advanced Settings icon and then the Admin icon.
    2. Click the Device Mode tab. The LAN Connection Type displays.
    3. From the Device Mode drop-down list, select ExtenderMode (wired AP). The LAN
    Connection Type displays.[/quote]

I made the change to extender mode and now have it hooked up in the other room physically to my ps3. However I don't know how to get it to connect to my transmitting router - I need to know how to enter the wpa2 password that my transmitting router uses so the receiving router will have internet access.

After I changed the router to extender mode I can't seem to log back into the receiving routers setup page with my tablet. It just keeps spinning and saying "obtaining ip address" but doesn't connect. It sees the router but doesn't access it. (I haven't changed any passwords or anything on the new receiving router yet).

Is this "extender mode" the right option I need to setup the new western digital N router as a wireless bridge?

I tried the network setup on the ps3 but when I choose "wired" as the internet connection option in the test mode it stops at obtaining ip address and says failed.

I'm not sure how to enter the wpa2 password onto the receiving router to get it to access my existing network.

Do I need to connect it directly to one of my lan ports on my transmitting router?

Fyi I have the new receiving router connected to the ps3 via one of the lan ports not the yellow internet input port.

I think I'm nearly there to getting the wireless N connection I want on the ps3 but I am missing one or two steps here and any help would be appreciated. I think I'm going to stop now and come at it fresh later.

Thanks.

Edit oh yes both routers have the wps option for connecting. When I tried it a few times it just sits there and times out after two minutes. I have tried quick pressing the wps button on the new router and long pressing it but either way it just spins (the light does blink but it doesn't connect).

Fyi the netgear router I'm using as a transmitter has a software button on its setup page to initiate the wps connection not a physical button so far as I can tell.

The netgear router is wndr3400v2. Thanks.

Edit - ok I reconnected it to the transmitting router and I can see the router page again. I am trying the wps by selecting it from both routers' wps setup buttons. However it looks like it didn't works as I got another time out.

I'm gonna try one or two more things and then quit for good tonight.

Edit - on the device mode screen of the receiving router it is set to extender mode. Do I have set it to static ip?

Is that something I have to set in the transmitting router than in the receiving router?

How does this change once I remove the receiving router and move it back to the ps3 in the other room?

Don't I still need to setup the wpa2 password in the receiving router?

eDIT - on the basic not advanced settings page of the receiving routers page there is the password settings. I set them to wpa2 and entered my transmitting routers wpa2 password. I don't know if this will work or not. I'm going to unplug it from my transmitting router and try it on my ps3.

I'd be really surprised if this works. I hope it does but I'm not sure.

Edit - it did not work.

I guess I'm going to have to do the static ip thing.
    I've never done that before. I'll have to figure how to do that. Normally i"ve always done the dynamic dchp stuff since I've only dealt with one router before.

That will be another time. I think I will truly stop for now. I'll go watch some of 007 Skyfall - just picked up the bluray today along with the new router.

Edit - ok I'm in the config page of the receiving router. Its lanned to the transmitting router.

I have the dchp set to off on the receving router and I am setting the static ip on the receiving router.

I'm assigning it a lan ip in the range that netgear uses. I've got the subnet mask from the internet port information dialog on the netgear transmitting setup page. For the default gateway I am using the 192xxx main ip address of the netgear transmitting router that I use to login to the transmitting netgear router. For the primary and secondary dns server I am using the info from the internet port settings on the netgear transmitting router.

After entering all of this information I click save on the receving wd router and it says NO POWER. What does that mean?
    Last edited by yoda313; 17th Feb 2013 at 10:56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Yoda,

For connect via wireless, search for WDS BRIDGE mode on new router.

Keep mind:

Modem/Router 1 DHCP on >>>>WDS BRIDGE MODE>>>>Router 2, DHCP off, no IP Static.

Modem/Router 1 DHCP on >>>>LAN MODE>>>>Router 2, DHCP off, IP Static.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks cauptain.

On my netgear WNDR3400v2 transmitting router I have the following options:

Enable Ap Mode (assuming that means access point)
    Wireless Repeater
    Wireless Base Station

Do I enable on repeating or access functions on the transmitting router? This is the one that is connected to my cable modem via lan and is working just fine.

I have the dhcp off on my mynet 750 western digital router that is connected to my ps3.
    Following a net search it seems that the 750 does have a bridge mode called
    "bridge "Extender Mode (Wired AP)" mode.". THat was where i turned off the dhcp and was trying to manually insert the ip and dns info.

Your diagram is a little confusing - do both routers need to be in bridge mode? Also do I need to change anything on the cable modem? I'd rather not go into the cable modem config page if I don't have to. Networking isn't my strong suit as you can probably tell.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My home setup:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mI5hpHp.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	16309

Remember:

Bridge Mode (on MODEM ADSL) is NO same WDS Bridge Mode (router 3)

WDS Bridge Mode is NO same WPS Connect Mode.

Claudio
    Last edited by Cauptain; 17th Feb 2013 at 17:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you everyone for all of your help.

I gave it one more shot with the wd router as a bridge. I couldn't get it going. I decided to admit defeat so I returned it.

I didn't think of looking for a non-Sony wifi adapter. It turns out at least Netgear makes one and I'm sure others do as well. This is what I got yesterday:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+Universal+Wi-Fi+Wireless-N+USB+Adapter/1002457.p...gear&cp=2&lp=3

This works with the wps setup feature which my original N router supports (the one I started with not the one I took back). It happens to be a netgear also but the wps feature also worked with a dlink range extender I picked up earlier this year.

I was thrilled to see it work the first time. No fuss no mess. And to hook it up to the ps3 I just plugged in the lan cable and selected wired through the internet setup and left everything on automatic and it worked. I was really glad to get it going on the first shot.

It is an N adapter and it claims to be able to get up to 300mbps even though its a 100mb lan port. Regardless even if it can only get a 100 thats still better than the 54 tops for G and its the N protocol so its probably better overall for a wireless connection.

Suffice it to say my needs have been met.

I can do the hdx 1080p movies through vudu without any apparent stuttering! I love it. I can get my hd and surround wirelessly. I was also able to do the hd on youtube without stuttering which I couldn't do with the internal G wireless setup that my ps3 maxes out at. So this was absolutely worth it.

Plus it was cheaper to boot. It was only 50.00 compared to the 90 that the router was (the router was on sale when I bought it).

-----------------------------------

Now my last media venture is to get a streaming box for the room with the transmitting router. I do have my xbox 360 in there but for some reason the vudu app totally sucks on the 360. It keeps bombing out on me and stuttering like mad.

I do have a pc in that room but I don't really want to fire it up everytime to do a streaming movie. So I'm looking into the little box options.

I'm debating between the roku and the netgear units.

Yes I know all about the roku's limitation for usb support and the different models don't all do 1080p. My main concern is getting a unit with fiber optic out. Since I don't have an amp with hdmi that is of utmost concern to me. It is starting to look like all of the current gen models for any brand don't have fiber optic out which really sucks.

What I may do is go online and order a wdtv live model that does support vudu and has a fiber optic out. I already have a wdtv but mine is a first gen full size model (not the mini) that doesn't have an ethernet port.

So my wireless adventure is nearly complete. One more deal and I'm finally set with everything I could want - well mostly.

Thanks again everyone for helping. In the end I decided I didn't want to waste my time and money on something that should be a whole lot simpler - and it turns out there was a simpler solution I just hadn't looked in the right spot.

Edit - I'm starting to think my best option might be to get another bluray player. They still seem to have fiber optic outputs. As long as I can get one under a 100.00 and one that has vudu on it I think that might be the way to go. It doesn't have to be wifi built in since this will be lanned anyway. But if I can get it internal for the same price as a wifi ready only model I'll do that so long as they both have lan and both have vudu.

Edit 2 - Well I did it, I bought a bluray player. I bought the sony bdp s1100 from Target for 80.00 usd on sale:

http://www.target.com/c/dvd-blu-ray-players-tvs-home-theater-electronics/-/N-5xtdo#?ln...tc=736567|null

I didn't do an exhaustive search but this had what I needed. It does vudu and has digital coax out for digital surround sound. I would have preferred fiber optic but digital is digital and my amp does have coax so I'm all set.

The only downside I can tell is the front loading tray cover seems a bit flimsy. If I try to close the tray with the door cover it feels cheap. But it has an eject button on the unit itself so I can use that for opening and closing.

I may swap this with my ps3 in the other room. I'm not sure about that yet. This is much smaller than the ps3 so I may do it for that reason. I had already have a spot for the ps3 in the room I'm using the new sony bluray player in.

What I can't believe is the incredible file support it actually has. It has the usb port in front and instantly recognized my external seagate usb ntfs drive. It seems to play all my videos even a mkv with 1080p h264 and dts Plus it can play the videos that I have saved in flv that I haven't gotten around to remuxing into mp4. Even my gen 1 wdtv can't do that.

So all in all I feel good. Now my wireless high def world is complete. I can do it wherever I want whenever I want.

Thanks again everyone.
    Last edited by yoda313; 10th Mar 2013 at 13:14.
    Quote Quote