VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    So I have this computer. I don't know what OS is on it, and it's not mine so I don't want to crack it open (though if I have to I will). It's a custom build by someone else, not an off-the-shelf computer.

I'm trying to get it to run on my Acer VGA monitor, but it only has DVI ports. OK, that's fine, I got an adapter out. I plug it in, everything's working and then I start it up.

For whatever reason the monitor knows it's plugged in (that is, if I unplug it it says no signal) but when it's plugged in, the only signal it seems to be getting is "sleep".

Any thoughts?

EDIT: It matches the DVI-I for this (on the computer) and the adapter says it works for DVI-I and DVI-A (though it is DVI-A) http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvicompat/sldldvi.jpg

The monitor (and vga cable) both work on other computers.
    Last edited by saboran; 9th Feb 2013 at 21:08.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Right click "My Computer" and choose Properties.
    It will tell you what version of Windows OS.

Be clearer about which port type is on which device, I cannot be sure from your original post.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is it a dual monitor card? If so have you tried the other output?
    One of my PCs is hooked up to the TV as well as a CRT monitor. Due to the video card configuration I can only connect the TV to the card's primary output, so when the TV is off I get nothing on the PC monitor until Windows has booted and swapped the desktop over to the PC monitor. While Windows is booting, the PC monitor stays asleep.

Is their hard drive activity etc when you try to boot? It might be possible that at one stage the PC was connected to a monitor using a refresh rate yours doesn't support, so it ignores the signal. Have you tried booting into safe mode?

I assume the monitor does support analog via the DVI connector? It's not "DVI only" is it? Does the minitor have an option in it's own menu to select analog or DVI input?
    Last edited by hello_hello; 10th Feb 2013 at 06:44.
    Quote Quote