VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I have been working with video editing and used sony vegas pro I have found that the GPU does not affect the rendering time much if at all when you have powerful GPU like a 570 installed. I was wondering if anyone just has the new Z77 board and no GPU? I am trying to build a board for someone but was wondering if I would still have a fast rendering time using a Xeon e3-1245V2 chip and use it and my motherboard as the GPU? Does anyone have any opinions on that? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    vegas doesn't have the most optimized gpu encoder on the planet, even with a powerful gpu. premiere is much better optimized, as is microsoft's expression encoder, and don't forget about media coder or video mastering works.

with regards to the xeon, that's the same chip as the 3770, so software encoding will be fast, but again a lot depends on which software package you use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vegas uses the gpu for more than just encoding. it is also used to accelerate the preview, including most effects/transitions.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Xeon cpu bad choose for editing system,
    Core I7 over preforms Xeon x3 times in rendering times
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want speed, go for an Intel i7 as suggested. Tests have shown its very good at video work

If you want cost, then go for an Intel i5-2500k and overclock it. Then it will match an i7 but save you quite a bit of cash. The i5 will easily overclock to 4ghz so it then ends up faster than a stock i7, and its very simple to do without stressing the CPU

I have mine running at 4ghz on a big air cooler and runs very very stable amd very very quiet. In fact its NEVER crashed through over heating

I could probably push it to 4.5ghz with some fiddling, but its been happily running at that speed for about 12 months with zero issues, so I'm leaving it alone

I'm running an ASUS P8P67 Pro with Intel i5-2500k. The "k" means its unlocked, thats the important part

Just checking prices (in UK) there is an £80 price difference between the Intel i5 2500k and the Intel i7 2600k, once you pay for a DECENT CPU cooler you are still saving money, but will end up with a system that is faster than the base Intel i7 with rubbish stock CPU cooler that just about manages to keep it cool

I use the Dark Rock Pro cooler by the way, which is very quiet and keeps it very cool
    Last edited by steptoe; 9th Feb 2013 at 04:22.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    Xeon cpu bad choose for editing system,
    Core I7 over preforms Xeon x3 times in rendering times
    Where are you coming up with this info? That is totally wrong. I have a Xeon in one of my systems and it is much faster than the i7 2600k that I had in it before. I have first hand experience in the Xeon so you can't tell me otherwise on it. The benchmarks I see is that the cheaper E3-1245 V2 that I have now is right around the same benchmarks as the new i7.
    Last edited by ingeborgdot; 9th Feb 2013 at 09:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    one thing you can do with the new i7 6 core k version is overclock it quite a bit. with liquid cooling inexpensive now it might be worth a look.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry don't know about this specific Xeon cpu,
    but general use Xeon cpu its for servers
    you should see Sony Vegas Pro 12 GPU acceleration advantages: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/gpuacceleration
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    the difference between xeon cpu's and their desktop counterparts is that xeons can be used in smp, they support ecc ram and there is some difference in the microcode and thread scheduler of the xeons that allows them to more efficiently handle high thread counts.

the notion that a desktop intel cpu is 3x faster than it's xeon counterpart is ridiculous beyond belief, as is the notion that a xeon isn't suited for rendering and/or encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have no experience with the Xeon but i quote some guy at doom9:

I don't do much encoding at home anymore. At work we have about 100 encoders, most of which are 12 core Nehalem / Sandy Bridge Xeon boxes with 16 to 32 GB of RAM, in a mixture of 1U, 2U, and blade form factors.

We've got about 1.8 petabytes of spinning disk storage, for a variety of clients and workflows.

source:
    http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1609977&postcount=4

It make sense to me that the Xeon's can handle more tasks with ecc ram, that and multithreading i suppose not to mention on certain motherboards you can add another cpu (so bi-cpu) phew! that must be a dream machine..hence their price i suppose
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry don't know about this specific Xeon cpu,
    you should see Sony Vegas Pro 12 GPU acceleration advantages: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/gpuacceleration
    And I have the 570. Unless someone has the exact settings used in preferences for video though, my cpu does a faster job of rendering alone than when I use the GPU. They must have used a slow CPU I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    Sorry don't know about this specific Xeon cpu,
    And I have the 570. Unless someone has the exact settings used in preferences for video though, my cpu does a faster job of rendering alone than when I use the GPU. They must have used a slow CPU I guess.
    Probably they use GPU effects plugins in project
    From bottom page they have link to 2gb project file:
    If you would like to work with the same media and project used for our testing, you can download the files here.

when you select GPU acceleration its still going to use most CPU
    I not edit in Sony Vegas Pro but from my tests also its little faster with CPU only
    Also run GPU-Z to see if GPU in use when its render
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Gpu-Z.gif
Views:	297
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	16194
    Quote Quote