VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Issue 1: Xbox and 2 of 3 user accounts on pc aren't displaying MP4, Mpeg, M4v files in Windows Media Center (Only my account on pc will display these files in "Folder" view. All accounts will display these files under "Date Taken" view)

"Solutions" Tried:

1. Re-registering Video codecs List of regedit's used: http://pastebin.com/sj4smU7P
    2. Turning Windows Features On/Off WMP and WMC
    3. sfc/scannow in elevated command prompt
    4. Removing and Re-adding Media Extenders
    5. Clearing WMP appdata
    6. Clearing WMC Program Data
    7. Restarting WMP and WMC services
    8. Microsoft Fix It Tool
    9. Both WMP Troubleshooters
    10. Clearing Xbox Cache
    11. Deleting and re-downloading Xbox "old" optional media update
    12. Deleting and re-downloading Xbox"new" optional media update
    13. Deleting Xbox Windows Media Center located under Games and Apps
    14. Deleting WMC Users located under C:Users/Mc"___"
    15. Re-locating my video library and accessing WMC in that new media library location

THREAD WITH SAME PROBLEM:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpromedia/thread/170892e4-b206-45e9-a...f-e903b87a3efe

ISSUE 2: Xbox streams some songs in slow motion

"Solutions" Tried:

1. Re-encoding audio files
    2. Re-downloading audio files
    3. Deleting WMP Playlists and remaking them
    4. ALL Solutions in Issue 1 Above

THREAD WITH SAME PROBLEM:
    http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/30/p/312497/1639444.aspx

If anyone knows how to fix any of the issues listed above please respond! Also Please checkout my other forum post:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/353152-Need-Better-Program-than-AbcAVi-to-edit-vide...53#post2218253
    Last edited by Whitezombie455; 20th Feb 2013 at 19:11.
    Quote Quote  
  2. bump still need help with this issue... =(
    Last edited by Whitezombie455; 14th Feb 2013 at 00:27.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Idk how many times you're allowed to bump a thread but I still need help...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well bud, can you mediainfo the file or is it all files ? and let's see the specs maybe the file is corrupt.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It is all mp4 files, mpeg-4, m4v etc.... I'm at a loss atm it's been like this for a couple months now it's driving me crazy...The files seem to show up and play fine on the computer, but once on the xbox they just vanish. Here's the media info of one of the "disappearing" files.

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\Public\Videos\Movies _____ Hasn't Watched\________.m4v
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42
    File size : 926 MiB
    Duration : 1h 31mn
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 1 410 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2012-05-19 21:36:42
    Tagged date : UTC 2012-05-20 01:12:28
    Writing application : HandBrake 0.9.5 2011010300

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 1h 31mn
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 781 Kbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 800 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If several have similar issues it could be some xbox software or even hardware issue.

Do other files work okey? Like wmvs.

And I would avoid longer folder names and also characters like '.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From what I can tell the info you posted should play on the xbox 360 just fine. This is my info on a file that worked a-ok when played from a sd card via a usb adpater:

Complete name : E:\*****1080p profile 4 test mp4 remux.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom
    File size : 181 MiB
    Duration : 4mn 43s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 5 352 Kbps
    Movie name : *******1080p profile 4 test mp4 remux.mp4
    Performer : Avidemux
    Composer : Avidemux
    Writing application : Lavf51.12.1

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 5 218 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 25.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Minimum frame rate : 23.952 fps
    Maximum frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.105
    Stream size : 176 MiB (97%)
    Writing library : x264 core 112 r1867 22bfd31
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=22.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=25000 / vbv_bufsize=25000 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=vbr / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate : 128 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 4.33 MiB (2%)

The only significant difference between the above working file and the file you posted is that your non working file has 4 reference frames.

Have you been able to play the non working file directly on the xbox 360 itself and not via streaming?

It is possible that the file is not suitable for the xbox 360.

Try copying the original non working file to a sd card and play with a usb adapter or burn it to a dvd. Test that the file will actually play on the xbox 360 itself DIRECTLY on the unit not via streaming. You need to first identify if the file will play at all.

You have not mentioned if the original file will play at all without bringing streaming complications into the mix. Sort that out first.

Also you did not post audio info. My test file is only aac stereo so I don't know if the xbox can handle 5.1 aac audio. It may not. However that shouldn't keep it from playing the video just no audio as far as I know. It can play dts on dvds but if this a dts-ma file from a bluray conversion I don't believe it will handle that. I don't know if the xbox will refuse to play a file at all if the audio is not compatible. Again you need to verify if the original file will play at all on the xbox before dealing with streaming issues.

------------------------------------------------

Regarding the streaming - I would recommend investigating some other streaming programs. Yes wmc is meant to work with the xbox 360. However it is not the only option.

Look into ps3mediaserver (will work with the xbox) or playon (the file streaming works with the free version but you have to pay to use the premium apps plugins) or tversity.

Check those out as they will do transcoding to make your file work on your target device. However you should have a modestly powerful computer to do that - at least a dual core would be best.

And are you doing anything with your internet while streaming? Are you downloading video or large files while streaming? It shouldn't interfere with viewing your media but it might complicate things a little if you are tying up your bandwidth.

And others will point out that the xbox 360 is not the ideal platform for playing video files. I think its better than what some here on this website give it credit for. But a more dedicated unit like a wdtv live model might be better suited for such tasks.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well files do play in WMC it's just that some formats are not appearing in the folder view like I mentioned (They appear under "Date Taken" ,but I have hundreds of movies so this isn't even an option).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by whitezombie455
    Well files do play in WMC it's just that some formats are not appearing in the folder view like I mentioned
    That wasn't what I asked. Have you tested any of these Directly on the xbox itself? If it won't play on the xbox directly you won't be able to stream them through wmc. You would have to use transcoding software and so far as I know media center doesn't natively transcode. There might be plugins for transcoding but basically if the xbox can't natively play the files you won't be able to use wmc to stream them.

tversity or ps3mediaserver are transcoding streaming software. I'm not a 100% sure if playon transcodes or not - it can stream to the xbox just fine but I don't know if it does any converting.

You should have at least a dual core to do any transcoding realisticly.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  10. No okay it doesn't matter if I use a usb or not... when I stream the videos they work it's just that they are not appearing in folder view. However, the videos do appear under "Date Taken" view. I have hundreds of movies so "Date Taken" view isn't an option. Also I mentioned that the videos used to appear it's just now they won't appear in folder view.

Note: When I say videos I am referring to MPEG's, MP4's, M4V's etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok that was my misunderstanding. I thought you could not play them at all. My mistake.

I don't know what to offer on the folder view issues.

However you might still consider looking at other streaming software besides wmc.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Alrighty, well I'm going to reply because I'm still up for a solution sorry... I don't want a new program... My parents use it and it took them forever to figure it out.......

So yea any solutions to the music problem? Or WMC probllem?
    Last edited by Whitezombie455; 17th Feb 2013 at 00:12.
    Quote Quote  
  13. bump...
    Quote Quote  
  14. bump...
    Quote Quote  
  15. bump...
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You will probably get better help in a xbox forum.

We are only using HTPCs here. .
    Quote Quote  
  17. Not really I actually have this topic posted in 5 forums and neither seem to help lol..... so yea if anyone knows on this forum how to fix my problem please reply thx!
    Quote Quote