VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    re: "Flight" DVD (the movie with Denzel Washington)

I've tried DVDFab 8.2.2.6 and 9.0.2.5 with the same result when trying to rip/copy the Fulldisc:

Analyzing of DVD stated
    Video quality is unreachable
    Task_1 failed! Error=401
    Process failed!

I tried turning off Path Player which has no effect.

Fortunately it apparently copies the Mainmovie OK, but is there any way to rip/copy the full "Flight" DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try AnyDVD-it works!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Flight" US DVD Release Date: February 5, 2013.

JohnnyBob's Post: February 5, 2013.

Answer to JohnnyBob's question: Give the DVDFab developer some time to deal with a title that is LESS THAN 24 HOURS OLD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I guess this is better than the posts we get where the disc can't be ripped and it hasn't been officially released ANYWHERE in the world yet. Yes, we really do get those types of posts.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pepegot1 View Post
    Try AnyDVD-it works!
    Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't used AnyDVD in years. I'm trying out AnyDVD HD 7.1.4.0 and am getting pretty frustrated. No success yet.

I ripped the "Flight" DVD to hard drive with AnyDVD then edited the result with DVD Shrink to remove the unwanted junk, which seemed to go OK. But I can't play the result with Power DVD, my usual test player before burning a disc. It's weird. It pops up a message: "No DVD in Drive D". I can get it to play with Windows Media Player but not in standard fashion. I have to send it the Video-TS.IFO file, or some such. So it's apparently not in standard format and I have no idea whether I'll be wasting a DVD to burn it. They cost over $1 each so I don't waste them.

If I leave AnyDVD activated, vs deactivate it, the ripped files that I produced work differently. So it seems to have left some kind of remnant in the ripped files, or some kind of dependancy on AnyDVD. That's not what I need or want. I need standalone deprotected files that work with other software, can be edited, test played, then burnt with ImgBurn or whatever.

I'm just not comfortable with AnyDVD. The documentation seems imprecise and incomplete. I don't really know what I'm doing with it. I've tried it several times over the years and always dropped it for that reason, going back to the technically much simpler DVDFab. So any pointers to get me over the hump with AnyDVD appreciated. I just want to copy this "Flight" DVD...if possible...then maybe I'll forget about it again. It's very rare that DVDFab fails like this.

Thanks.
    Last edited by JohnnyBob; 5th Feb 2013 at 21:09. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    using anydvd to decrypt dvds i normally start anydvd, then open the dvd disc in the drive and copy/paste the video_ts folder to the hard drive. then turn off anydvd and do whatever is needed to the video_ts folder. the movie has been decrypted at that point.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    AnyDVD has never been in the business of giving you stuff for free. I have no idea if the trial version is fully functional or not. I bought it and paid for lifetime updates, but it's a little soon to expect it to work with your DVD if today is the official release date and DVDFab can't handle it correctly. AnyDVD usually trails somewhat behind DVDFab in updates. To be fair, DVDFab no longer gives you anything for free either, but I think you can fully try their stuff out before you buy. I am not particularly interested in the latest and greatest Hollywood releases and I by the time I get around to watching stuff, it's been out for months so AnyDVD can handle it by the time I get to it.

On the plus side, the pricing for AnyDVD is more straightforward. DVDFab has more features and seems to be updated sooner, but their pricing confuses and pisses off a lot of people who buy it only to find out that they still need to pay more than they planned on because what they bought doesn't do everything they thought it would, so they have to add costly features to it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    using anydvd to decrypt dvds i normally start anydvd, then open the dvd disc in the drive and copy/paste the video_ts folder to the hard drive. then turn off anydvd and do whatever is needed to the video_ts folder. the movie has been decrypted at that point.
    Using Windows Explorer to copy/paste? That doesn't work very well, in this case at least..

It sounds simple enough, but AnyDVD does not remove the protection during that copy & paste process with the "Flight" DVD. Windows Explorer sees the Video_TS folder as containing 74.7 GB, 11 sets of VOB files, 11 ghost copies of the movie. I gave it a try, hoping it might work nevertheless, but tossed in the towel because the partition I was using for a destination didn't have enough free space. It was obviously going to try to copy the entire 74.7 GB. It would probably take more than an hour to copy over in that fashion, not very practical, then no guarantee that it would work correctly subsequently. Better might be to copy it over as an .ISO then mount it(?).

But maybe I'm not using the right version of AnyDVD(?). Mine is the HD 7.1.4.0 version. Should I be using a different SD version? That's not clear to me from the sparse documentation of AnyDVD. I don't have a HD viewing system, just a standard old DVD player and an old 3x4 CRT TV using S-Video cables.

Turns out that I worked up the courage to burn my former efforts, which risked making a $1+ coaster. That started with the AnyDVD "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk..." operation, then edited with DVD Shrink. Even though the result wouldn't play in PowerDVD nor normally in Windows Media Player, it burnt to a DL DVD with Imgburn then played OK in my standalone Magnavox DVD player. I guess that's all I care about, and I enjoyed watching the movie too!

I also note in passing that the Mainmovie version which DVDFab ripped was messed up, wrong chapter order, etc. So DVDFab definitely does not work with the "Flight" DVD.
    Last edited by JohnnyBob; 6th Feb 2013 at 08:27. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DVDfab has just been updated so you can try it now.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1) Wait a week or two and try again with an updated version of DVDFab or AnyDVD. Sorry but it's realistically the best answer to your problem.
    2) I don't personally feel comfortable at all with the "aedipuss" method. You can use AnyDVD itself to do the ripping and decryption.

When a DVD shows up as having more data than a DVD can possibly hold (yours shows 75 GB more or less and 8.5 GB is the limit for DVD), this is a sure sign that it's using bad sector copy protection. Bad sector protection methods change all the time. Dude, just calm down and wait for an update. If you can't wait a week or two, then too bad. This is all pointless as if you'll just be patient instead of in this insane "I MUST HAVE IT NOW!" mode, you'll get it to work.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DVDfab passkey mentions flight,

February 6, 2013
    Passkey 8.0.9.0 Updated!

Passkey for DVD:
    New: Added support for a new copy protection as found on "Flight" (US).
    Quote Quote  
  12. I saw the movie at the theaters and want my $8 back, it's not worth backing up.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I backed up my copy of Flight (Bluray) last night with DVDFab 9.0.2.5 version and had no problems, In version 9.0.2.5 HD Decrypter is still free.
    Quote Quote  
  14. ...C O P Y L E F T JohnnyBob's Avatar
    Search PM
    The latest DVD Fab 8.2.2.7 (released today Feb 6) works OK with the the "Flight" DVD (US) in both copy modes (Fulldisk and Mainmovie).

Incidentally the resulting Fulldisk rip will not play with PowerDVD, but works fine for editing with DVD Shrink etc. PowerDVD plays the Mainmovie rip just fine.
    Quote Quote