VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know there are dozens of older posting for this and I have tried them all but nothing has worked and I hope someone can help because I have everyone around me stumped. I dropped ATT on the 16th of this last month and changed over to Charter Commutations. They supply the modem and I buy a wireless. Last Friday my internet just started dropping right out of the blue and hasn’t quit. It drops when I am on my PlayStation but yet I still stay login in, I can’t figure that one out. I loose connection on all computers and phones all at the same time. It will be just random, sometime it can be a few second but it can be up to 30 min. Charter has been out to the house several times and can’t figure it out, they say it the wireless and to buy another one. I went and bought my third wireless today. I talked to a few guys at BestBuy and they couldn’t offer any help. I bought the Belkin N750, once I set it up the stream was great for 2 hours, then it was back at it again. I have computers that have windows Vista and 7, along with all the gaming systems and it happens to them all. I was just in Belkin control panel trying to change my channel again and my internet was gone but Belkin said it was connected.

With everything advancing so fast I barely get by with computer technology now days, but I just know there has to be some interference or some kind of connection that’s either off or just plain wrong. It to the point that I’m going nuts; I can’t play my games or do any of my work without it dropping. I would very much appreciate any help, since Charter can’t offer me anything else.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same issue with the same router but mine is the dual brand one. Mine kept doing the exact same issue. When i boosted the internet bandwidth the problem went away. I’m not sure if it will fix your issue or not but its worth a try. My computers down here would stay connected since I’m near the router. When you boost the speed it should not disconnect the internet at all. Also if it doesn't do a test and sent up a filter on it and see if that helps also. I had to do that for some reason. I hope my help helps you out on your issue. All that can be set in the belkin internet page.
    Last edited by Wizard23; 2nd Feb 2013 at 22:18.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Start with comparison ... was ATT better ?

Next, anyone else having issues in the same area ?

If answer to yes in both accounts dont hold your breath with the new isp ... many complaints.

It's quite possibly a break in the line (deterioration)... which cause line attenuation loss

Dont worry about what the devices say, you can still have a connection if this is the case yet no data transferring.

It's most likely an issue at their end or the service line
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bjs
    It's quite possibly a break in the line (deterioration)... which cause line attenuation loss
    I know this first hand.

Back when I had dial up I had problems maintaining a connection or even dialing out but the voice part was ok (same line). It turns out after a visit from att the line to the building was old and frayed somehow (not exactly but point is it wasn't in good shape hence the drop outs for dialup). It got replaced or repaired (can't remember now its been a long time) and then it worked just fine after that.

So I don't know how the internet connection is getting to the persons building but like BJS mentioned a physical break in the line somewhere could be the culprit. It would be worth having a rep come out and look at it - or have the come out again if it still has problems after a previous check.

Good luck.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The phone going out indicates that it is definitely a problem on Charter's side and they are using the wireless as an excuse. Next time emphasize the phone problem so they can't blame your equipment.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Wizard23 View Post
    I had the same issue with the same router but mine is the dual brand one. Mine kept doing the exact same issue. When i boosted the internet bandwidth the problem went away. I’m not sure if it will fix your issue or not but its worth a try. My computers down here would stay connected since I’m near the router. When you boost the speed it should not disconnect the internet at all. Also if it doesn't do a test and sent up a filter on it and see if that helps also. I had to do that for some reason. I hope my help helps you out on your issue. All that can be set in the belkin internet page.
    Yes, I did buy the dual bandwidth. I asked charter if I needed to boost on their end because I have so may devices but they say no, so I will have to look into Belkin page and see if I can find the right category and give it a boost.
    My PlayStation is directly under the equipment and I have one computer in the room, the cable guy thought it was weird that I would loose a bar or two with them being in the same room so close with the router.

I have hooked up to Charters modem with the Ethernet cable directly into my PlayStation and had no loss of connection whatsoever for 6 hours. I hooked back with the wireless modem, it wasn't an hour before it stated dropping.
    Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote