VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys
    I want to cut out a part of a mkv x264 encoded video file (resolution: 1920x816)without any loss of quality or video standards.
    I tried using cyberlink director 10 but the resulting edited video doesn't fill the screen of my laptop (resolution: 1920x1080)completely while the original one did in vlc player.I tried changing the aspect ratio of the video in timeline in cyberlink but the program freezes when i try to do so.
    here are the screenshots of the original and edited video in fullscreen with 16:9 aspect ratio:

original one (completely fills the screen):
    http://s9.postimage.org/cvkcooh71/original.png

edited one (doesn't completely fill the screen):
    http://s8.postimage.org/77bcina7n/edit.png

both these screenshots are in 16:9 aspect ratio in vlc player
    I guess the problem lies in the resolution of original video (1920x816) which is not 16:9 (it should be 1920x1080) and thats why cyberlink is edting the video and producing it in the same detected aspect ratio.As i said i tried changing the aspect ratio in cyberlink timeline but it stops responding.

can anybody tell what i'm doing wrong or suggest any other program for the same??
    Last edited by xerxes311; 27th Jan 2013 at 03:16.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by xerxes311 View Post
    I want to cut out a part of a mkv x264 encoded video file (resolution: 1920x816)without any loss of quality or video standards.
    The frame size you describes is not a 16:9 frame. It is 2:35:1 . You need a reality check. Your "original" has been vertically stretched to make a 2:35:1 image fit a 16:9 display. Your "edit" image displays correctly.

Get with the program. You can't fill a 16:9 box with a picture that's shorter and wider than 16:9 without changing the size of the picture. Or, if you really want to do something more difficult, change the size of the box.

Originally Posted by xerxes311 View Post
    ..here are the screenshots of the original and edited video in fullscreen with 16:9 aspect ratio:
    Your "original" screen shot shows a 2:35:1 image stretched vertically inside a 16"9 frame. It is displayed incorrectly and is distorted. Your "edit" version shows a 2:35:1 image displayed correctly in a 16:9 frame.

http://vimeo.com/videoschool/lesson/236/aspect-ratios-explained
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/120047-Determining-Aspect-Ratios-and-Resolutions
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 06:28.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah 1920x816 is not 16:9 but thats the original resolution of the movie present in bluray disc of this particular movie(most of bollywood movies have been released in this resolution under the name of bluray).
    Ok i might've been wrong in saying "without loss of quality" ...... what i only want is that edited video to fill the screen of my laptop just like original video did even if it means stretching the video a bit vertically........ I know what is happening here is that the software i'm using is automatically detecting the aspect ratio of the video and producing the result in the same.
    What i'm asking is that if there's any way to avoid this and keep the edited video same as original
    (as i said i've already tried changing aspect ratio in cyberlink director but the program freezes)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1920x816 is not the encoded frame size of the bollywood BluRay. 1920x816 is not a valid container size for BluRay. https://www.videohelp.com/hd#tech

No, you can't crop/resize/change aspect ratio and keep the video "same as original". It's like putting a size 12 foot into a size 9 shoe. To display 2:35:1 video full-screen without distortion or without crop/resize + change aspect ratio/re-encode, you need a 2:35:1 display. There are super-wide projector screens for home projection systems. There is also a 21:9 TV made for displaying 2.35:1 and 2.39:1 movies without letterboxing: http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2012/07/vizios-very-wide-cinemawide-219-tv...vie-buffs.html

Unfortunately, a 2.35:1 display will not be able to fill the screen with 16:9 video.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 06:28.
    Quote Quote  
  5. so do you mean there's no way out??
    is there no way to cut out a part and keep it same??
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You're saying "cut out a part". By that I think you mean to resize the image somehow? No, you can't crop and resize a video and have it remain "the same", and even if you do you have to re-encode.

Try it yourself. Use any graphics application you wish. Take the following 2.35:1 image

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.35-1_super wide.png
Views:	1121
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	15987

and place it into the 16x9 frame below.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	16x9.png
Views:	3736
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	15988

so that the original image fills the entire 16x9 frame -- without resizing, distorting, or cropping the original image. Let us know how you work it out.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 27th Jan 2013 at 17:00.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by xerxes311 View Post
    Hi guys
    I tried using cyberlink director 10 but the resulting edited video doesn't fill the screen of my laptop (resolution: 1920x1080)completely while the original one did in vlc player.I tried changing the aspect ratio of the video in timeline in cyberlink but the program freezes when i try to do so.

both these screenshots are in 16:9 aspect ratio in vlc player
    I guess the problem lies in the resolution of original video (1920x816) which is not 16:9 (it should be 1920x1080) and thats why cyberlink is edting the video and producing it in the same detected aspect ratio.As i said i tried changing the aspect ratio in cyberlink timeline but it stops responding.

can anybody tell what i'm doing wrong or suggest any other program for the same??
    Resolutions such as 1920x816 for the active picture are are fairly normal as that's the aspect ratio of the movie. When it's encoded for Bluray, black borders are added top and bottom to give you 1920x1080. Generally when encoding the Bluray video, most people crop the black bars, leaving you with 1920x816 of picture to encode (depending on the movie's aspect ratio). On playback, the player adds the black borders back, or you can add them back while re-encoding the video to give you 1920x1080 but it's fairly pointless unless you're wanting Bluray compliant resolutions.

If you want the whole picture to fill the screen you can of course stretch it, but why anyone would want to do that to video is beyond me. One option is to re-encode the video while removing some of the picture from each side. That won't distort the picture if done correctly. Using your example, if you want the encoded video to have a 16:9 aspect ratio you'd need to remove 234 pixels from one side and 236 pixels from the other. What you'll be left with is 1450x816, which is 1.777:1 or 16:9. You'd probably just re-encoded it using that resolution after cropping and on playback the player will upscale it to fill the 1920x1080 screen.

Of course a better alternative would be to do exactly as I've described above, only without the need to fuss with re-encoding. Fortunately, there's at least one media player which makes it easy. Open the video with MPC-HC, then use the "9" key on the numeric keypad to "zoom in" (the "5" key resets it). Just keep tapping the "9" key until the picture fills the entire screen. You'll loose a little of the picture from each side as it's zoomed beyond the sides of the screen, but at least the picture won't be distorted. I use MPC-HC and the "9" key for zooming in on wide screen video so it fills the entire screen almost every time I watch a movie. It's very rare that I feel like I'm missing something because some of the picture from each side is hanging off the edge of the screen. Aside from the "5" key resetting the zoom, the other keys on the numeric keypad get MPC-HC to stretch and distort the picture instead..... if you're into that sort of thing.

And if all you really want to do is take the existing 1920x816 video and have the player stretch it to fill the screen..... you can simply open the MKV using MKVMergeGUI, highlight the video stream, then under the "format specific options" tab, change the aspect ratio to 16:9 and use the "start muxing" button to create a new MKV. All software players should play the video using the specified aspect ratio. Many hardware players will do likewise, some won't though and will continue to display it as it was originally. Not all players support aspect ratios in MKV files. Of the two Bluray players in this house, the Sony player will obey the aspect ratio in an MKV file. The Samsung player ignores it. Of course you really don't want to permantly distort the picture like that just to get it to fill the screen...... I hope.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post

Of course a better alternative would be to do exactly as I've described above, only without the need to fuss with re-encoding. Fortunately, there's at least one media player which makes it easy. Open the video with MPC-HC, then use the "9" key on the numeric keypad to "zoom in" (the "5" key resets it). Just keep tapping the "9" key until the picture fills the entire screen. You'll loose a little of the picture from each side as it's zoomed beyond the sides of the screen, but at least the picture won't be distorted. I use MPC-HC and the "9" key for zooming in on wide screen video so it fills the entire screen almost every time I watch a movie. It's very rare that I feel like I'm missing something because some of the picture from each side is hanging off the edge of the screen. Aside from the "5" key resetting the zoom, the other keys on the numeric keypad get MPC-HC to stretch and distort the picture instead..... if you're into that sort of thing.

And if all you really want to do is take the existing 1920x816 video and have the player stretch it to fill the screen..... you can simply open the MKV using MKVMergeGUI, highlight the video stream, then under the "format specific options" tab, change the aspect ratio to 16:9 and use the "start muxing" button to create a new MKV. All software players should play the video using the specified aspect ratio. Many hardware players will do likewise, some won't though and will continue to display it as it was originally. Not all players support aspect ratios in MKV files. Of the two Bluray players in this house, the Sony player will obey the aspect ratio in an MKV file. The Samsung player ignores it. Of course you really don't want to permantly distort the picture like that just to get it to fill the screen...... I hope.
    thanx for the reply...i'll try this
    Quote Quote