VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I went to youtube.com earlier and typed what I wanted to search for and pressed enter, the search results were display, but only for a few second and then I was redirected to a suspicious site that told me my download would begin soon.. and a window popped up asking me where I wanted to save the file.
    I closed all windows immediately. The first thing I did was look for any suspicious processes running but couldn't find any, then I scanned my computer with both Avast and Malwarebytes but found nothing.
    I wonder what this could have been, never had any problems before. I try to only visit sites that I know are 100% safe and never had a virus. That I know of at least.

I then remembered that the last software I installed was Freemake video converter, I'm sure it's fine but I'm just a little suspicious now.. I looked through the comments on https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Freemake-Video-Converter and saw that people had been talking about some process running all the time etc. and now I'm feeling more suspicious..

What do you think? I assume it's safe and it must be something else. Do you have an idea what it could be? Have anything similar happened to you?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes its safe to use , working one year now with freemake...
    Quote Quote  
  3. When you install, just make sure you opt-out (uncheck) of the bundled software (i.e toolbars or other rubbish that you wont want or need).

Apart from that, it's a great converter.

Freemake's Audio Converter is pretty good too.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You probably got the version of Freemake Video Converter with Freemake Video downloader as well. Its a good downloader too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's Addware,of course it's not safe to use. It will infest your computer. There are plenty of free converters that work better and aren't Addware. Avoid.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can choose not to select the Addware just select custom install, how hard can that be.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    There are plenty of free converters that work better and aren't Addware.
    Why don't you suggest a few alternatives for him to consider...
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by isapc View Post
    You can choose not to select the Addware just select custom install, how hard can that be.
    Yep, but most misses it and just click yes, I agree to everything. But they are making it a bit confusing too...especially with the I agree I decline options.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I agree to everything.
    More fool you and anyone else who does that

You mentioned "I agree, I decline" options. You have to choose one. It isn't difficult.
    I choose decline. Simple.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I did uncheck all the toolbars and the only thing I installed was the program itself. So I guess Freemake didn't do this, but i don't understand why I was directed from youtube to downloadfileshere dot com. it wanted me to download "DRIVE downloader".

I read about some kind of redirect virus that redirect all search results on youtube and google to suspicious sites. But this only happened once.
    I've scanned my computer in failsafe mode as well.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I agree to everything.

You mentioned "I agree, I decline" options. You have to choose one. It isn't difficult.
    I guess they think that the installation will cancel if they click I decline.

I did uncheck all the toolbars and the only thing I installed was the program itself. So I guess Freemake didn't do this, but i don't understand why I was directed from youtube to downloadfileshere dot com. it wanted me to download "DRIVE downloader".
    Does it still happen when you visit youtube?

You can check the control panel->programs for recently installed programs and see if you see any toolbars or similar crap.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I agree to everything.

I guess they think that the installation will cancel if they click I decline.

I did uncheck all the toolbars and the only thing I installed was the program itself. So I guess Freemake didn't do this, but i don't understand why I was directed from youtube to downloadfileshere dot com. it wanted me to download "DRIVE downloader".
    Does it still happen when you visit youtube?

You can check the control panel->programs for recently installed programs and see if you see any toolbars or similar crap.
    So far it only happened once and I cannot find any toolbars or anything that I haven't installed on purpose.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While I never really liked freemake at all ... I like handbrake or vidcoder and avidemux to convert ... I wouldn't consider it unsafe if you downloaded it from a reputable site. You could dl another install file from the mfr's site and reinstall.

But that doesn't sound like a virus so much as a java redirect attack. This is why people who use linux (like myself) or macOS instead of windows shouldn't be too smug about being immune to viruses. Not all security problems involve a virus.

You could try installing the noscript plugin for firefox. It works extremely well but it's not for beginners.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    While I never really liked freemake at all ... I like handbrake or vidcoder and avidemux
    Unless you're comparing mp4/mkv quality, you cant really compare Freemake to Handbrake/VidCoder.

Freemake converts to numerous other formats (wmv, mpg etc.) & also burn DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
  15. There is also the debate about open candy and whether it should be considered malware or not.
    Freemake downloader is on that list of programs with open candy.

I think what open candy does is a one time redirect or ask to install toolbar.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCandy
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think open candy is pretty close to a virus. What other possible reason other than ignorance would make someone click on that stuff when installing?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I find the program to be quite useful. I like that it has all the codecs for conversion built right in. I have found so far that if I am careful during the installation, that I don't end up with the toolbars and such. I make sure that I do a custom install and make sure the toolbar isn't selected, along with the other stuff. I suspect the Company that makes this product makes money if the toolbar and other stuff are installed along with the program. I am also careful during the install process of Freemake Video Downloader. I find I have to be quite careful during the installation process for programs I download at CNET. I downloaded a terrific free Sudoku program called "Sudoku Dream" at CNET and I had to be careful during that install process. Perhaps it had nothing to do with CNET, but I am quite wary about what I download from there. If you don't have a choice of opting out, don't install the program.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Yeah, it's safe and really useful.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Freemake Video Converter Version: 4.1.5 Release date: October 8, 2014 has a browser high jacker (I suspect)... that goes undetected with Microsoft Security Essentials. DO NOT INSTALL!!!

If you do Install this version and your web browser(s) ie Internet Explorer, Fire Fox, Google Chrome; does not connect to any website open command prompt. type ipconfig/flushdns then press enter. You may have to use this command often to get on the internet as we wait for Microsoft to figure out where this installed and if this version of Freemake Video Converter is a browser hijacker.

Wait for Microsoft to update Security Essentials and or Malcious Software Removal tool as I can't find the install folder for Freemake Video Converter.
    Quote Quote  
  20. The program does integrate with IE and FF (don't know off hand about Chrome, don't use it), but that's an option you can disable and use Freemake as a standalone program by copying and pasting the URL's.

What's more worrying is that all Freemake programs are adware, they will side install more than one programs, some of which are borderline malware. You should always do a custom installation, carefully read all the panels before you click next to prevent installing unwanted programs.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Web installation or our offline version?

Virustotal scan: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/03006a51e026eb8acb6c253c246dc03b8b51dbc8e44b2bb4039...is/1413530122/

The artemis doesn't look good.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Anyone who produces adware is not worth supporting. I would not have that on my pc in principle. Some,like open candy will scan the pc even before installed .scumware
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dopey2013 View Post
    Anyone who produces adware is not worth supporting. I would not have that on my pc in principle. Some,like open candy will scan the pc even before installed .scumware
    Yep. I prefer trial versions instead of free adware versions. But I guess developers are making more money from adware installers. ANd many users don't mind 389439843984 web browser toolbars...
    Quote Quote  
  24. They deserve to have their full programs cracked and pirated infecting peoples pc with that crap in their 'free' programs. I think a lot of the people who don't care don't realise. Young people who only want free programs or games.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by nic2k4 View Post
    The program does integrate with IE and FF (don't know off hand about Chrome, don't use it), but that's an option you can disable and use Freemake as a standalone program by copying and pasting the URL's.

What's more worrying is that all Freemake programs are adware, they will side install more than one programs, some of which are borderline malware. You should always do a custom installation, carefully read all the panels before you click next to prevent installing unwanted programs.
    I did do a custom install, I only installed the converter.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Web installation or our offline version?

Virustotal scan: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/03006a51e026eb8acb6c253c246dc03b8b51dbc8e44b2bb4039...is/1413530122/

The artemis doesn't look good.
    I downloaded from www.freemake.com
    Quote Quote  
  27. I installed McAfee antivirus on my PC and what showed up in the scan due to the result of Freemake Video Converter:

Viruses and Trojans:

Artemis!27F2EB45DF4E
    Artemis!D26A1E8320DF

Unwanted Programs:

Artemis!CBB55C7BED11
    Artemis!2EA32FCE9F56
    Artemis!ABCF7FC9BF05
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by digitaljar View Post
    McAfee

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Quote Quote  
  29. I use the Freemake Video Downloader for capturing video. I am careful on the install. I don't upgrade The Converter very often, as I find myself using videotovideo converter for a lot of the tasks I used to use Freemake Video Convertor for. Thanks for the heads up, I will try to remember not to upgrade, because I certainly don't want my computer infected.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I have opt-out (uncheck) all the bundled software (i.e toolbars or other rubbish that you wont want or need),

Is it safe to use freemake video converter?
    Quote Quote