VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. The file that I use to install is downloaded from http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

I scanned the file at virustotal.com and this is the result https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/42b0df79927249c34f556502f87a9e7dd8db22ea31cdb03dfa0...77fd/analysis/

Detection ratio: 3 / 55
    Antivirus Result Update
    DrWeb Adware.OpenCandy.56 20141203
    ESET-NOD32 a variant of Win32/OpenCandy.A 20141203
    TrendMicro-HouseCall Suspicious_GEN.F47V1129 20141203
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by vstar View Post
    The file that I use to install is downloaded from http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

I scanned the file at virustotal.com and this is the result https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/42b0df79927249c34f556502f87a9e7dd8db22ea31cdb03dfa0...77fd/analysis/

Detection ratio: 3 / 55
    Antivirus Result Update
    DrWeb Adware.OpenCandy.56 20141203
    ESET-NOD32 a variant of Win32/OpenCandy.A 20141203
    TrendMicro-HouseCall Suspicious_GEN.F47V1129 20141203
    opencandy scans the computer before it installs anything to see what you have before making offer. so if you do not mind your pc being scanned by spyware you are possibly ok..What about DVD flick, would that do?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I just tried download another time and scanned another time

Result: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/d923db25642b45e4500b93743f03cc79393ff5e6954aa6e6267...is/1417787554/

Detection ratio: 6 / 54

Antivirus Result Update
    DrWeb Adware.Toolbar.340 20141205
    ESET-NOD32 a variant of Win32/OpenCandy.A 20141205
    GData Win32.Application.OpenCandy.E 20141205
    McAfee Artemis!ABD42EC465D6 20141205
    McAfee-GW-Edition BehavesLike.Win32.BadFile.tc 20141205
    TrendMicro-HouseCall Suspicious_GEN.F47V1203 20141205
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Dopey2013 View Post
    What about DVD flick, would that do?
    I have not tried yet, seems like DVD flick is mainly for converting files.

I use the freemake for cut and join and convert videos, easy to use but the virus warning make me unease.

Is there any other software that can cut away unwanted parts of video?

Is there any other software that can join video?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by vstar View Post
    Originally Posted by Dopey2013 View Post
    What about DVD flick, would that do?
    I have not tried yet, seems like DVD flick is mainly for converting files.

I use the freemake for cut and join and convert videos, easy to use but the virus warning make me unease.

Is there any other software that can cut away unwanted parts of video?

Is there any other software that can join video?

Thanks.
    sorry not familiar with freemake you are right re dvd flick. I would not use freemake anyway but you will have to wait for soemone who knows more to advice on other prog. Try https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/video-editors-basic

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/AviDemux might do it
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it's safe to use. but don't download the extra toolbars, if you don't have any protection get AVG! www.avg.com/ The reason why you go to those pages ("that are not safe,") is because you have Adware you can download an extension to help with those Ads. you have to use and download Google Chrome... www.google.com/chrome/ the extension for Google Chrome is called AdBlock. download the extension here...

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom?hl=en-US

for a safe download here is the website for Freemake Video Downloader

www.freemake.com/free_video_downloader/

i already tried it, it's safe to use ("without those toolbars")
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having hassles putting an mp4 file onto a DVD so I downloaded Freemake after reading this thread.

It's working as I speak. Plodding along, 14% complete after ten minutes.

But when/if it finishes this I'll throw it away.

It is plagued with ads and traps.

You can carefully download and install, doing a 'custom' install and avoiding all the addons - and that's a careful process in itself, they're very cunning with it - but when you get to the end you finish with a screen with a great big button in the middle which can't be removed and which wants you to install something else. Which won't be good.

Even as it is working the working screen has a fat bar across the top inviting you to download something - which I'll bet won't be good, either.

And the first time I tried it I went to write straight to dvd drive, which is the default setup (it is writing an .iso to hard drive now) and it told me the disk in the drive needed formatting! I've never heard of a dvd being formatted prior to burning.

It is too much of a hassle, I don't want it. Particularly as what we're looking at here is probably merely a front end, a gui, for free ffmpeg encoding software. Or if it is not, then the principle remains the same: all I, we, require is freeware ffmpeg with a user friendly front end.

That's not too much to ask in this day and age.

edit: Well in fact I just stirred myself into action and googled it and immediately found two free front ends for ffmpeg: ffmpegyag and avanti.

Possibly they'll be a bit 'high-tech', bit geeky and hard to come to grips with but they're true, real, honest and they'll be good I don't doubt. Worth whatever little struggle one might have to make to come to grips with them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. For making simple DVDs try AVS2DVD.

Try blocking OpenCandy's URLs in your hosts files. That will probably (I haven't tested it in the last year or so) prevent all the adware that Freemake tries to install.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356775-What-s-Happened-To-Imgburn?p=2248350&viewful...=1#post2248350
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st May 2015 at 21:25.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    It looks things are out of control.

All added crapware should be defined as malware unless it requires the user to explicitly opt in instead of requiring him to explicitly opt out.

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the clues. I'm downloading avs2dvd right now, I'll give it a try.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    im using the portable version, its all I would ever use.
    ¤ EM64T P4 Prescott (Socket T) CPU 3.4ghz, 3gig nonecc, OCZ Platinum Memory, Vid Card E Gforce 8800 GTS, 1 100GB serial ata; sata installed with Windows 7 home premium.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vectoravtech View Post
    im using the portable version, its all I would ever use.
    of what? freemake?
    Quote Quote  
  13. i really liked freeware it was such a great app for converting dvds i hope someone invents a great alternative
    Quote Quote  
  14. If you have to use freemake, install freemake exactly as shown in this video and there is no virus or anything.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L7ZJK2DLpE&feature=youtu.be

of course I can't promise it will still work in 6 months, just copying from other thread for someone who needs it today.

maybe a little unrelated, but one thing I think is good is to always right click your control panel uninstall programs list and sort by "date installed" or "date modified" in case you install something by mistake you won't miss it and can delete it right away. Maybe common knowledge for some, but I didn't realize it until recently.
    Last edited by ezcapper; 23rd Jul 2015 at 22:36.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by ezcapper View Post
    If you have to use freemake, install freemake exactly as shown in this video and there is no virus or anything.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L7ZJK2DLpE&feature=youtu.be

of course I can't promise it will still work in 6 months, just copying from other thread for someone who needs it today.

maybe a little unrelated, but one thing I think is good is to always right click your control panel uninstall programs list and sort by "date installed" or "date modified" in case you install something by mistake you won't miss it and can delete it right away. Maybe common knowledge for some, but I didn't realize it until recently.
    i did this as in the video but still no way to paste n make dvd ?? and the video is silent so i may have goofed . thanx for trying and helping .
    Quote Quote  
  16. just a warning to anyone looking at the video on youtube - IT IS A SCAM as freemake is full of malware n virus .
    Quote Quote  
  17. Heh It is not "full of malware n virus"

First, install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
    Then download Freemake Video Converter and start installing it. Please, be carefull to not install any other software than just only Freemake Video Converter. So do not just blindly click Next -> Next. READ what installer like to install and deselect all crapware.

If Malwarebytes Anti-Malware catch OCSetupHlp.dll, quarantine it (it is OpenCandy crap).

That's it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I would probably just use Handbrake or Vidcoder and call it a day.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Originally Posted by isapc View Post
    You can choose not to select the Addware just select custom install, how hard can that be.
    Yep, but most misses it and just click yes, I agree to everything. But they are making it a bit confusing too...especially with the I agree I decline options.
    And when people install those toolbars - do the software companies actually make any money as I would say that most people would remove the toobar as soon as they can.

They would be far better to simply ask for a paypal donation. I often donate to software that I find useful.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My parents never uninstall any toolbars or customized search engines....so I guess they make a LOT of money of some users.

Just use Xmedia Recode! :P
    Quote Quote  
  21. I use XMR too, but it has own problems too, mainly with the subtitles (DVB).
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hello, I am sorry I am new, do you know any other tool to download a complete youtube chanel or i can use freemake ?

Thank you so much for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    My parents never uninstall any toolbars or customized search engines....so I guess they make a LOT of money of some users.

Just use Xmedia Recode! :P
    I look after a few older peoples computers and they are always asking me to remove some toolbars or search engines.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I agree with all Freemake programs being safe and as said above .When you install it make sure you click slowly and check the custom install when installing it.I have been using all the Freemake programs on there sight for well over a year and yes i was click happy the first couple times and it installed a toolbar and a program I think I did not want but after learning I clicked custom install and declined those extra installs and everything runs smooth as you originally intended. Really though if you was to install the others installs and not custom its really no big worry or threat .Just uninstall them as I did originally. Good luck on anyone who reads this but it is a really nice program I use a lot. I have the full version of the video converter.I also have the Freemake video downloader and the Freemake youtube to MP3. Ps you can just have the video downloader and have it not download the videos and download it and convert to a Mp3 if you only want one of these too programs. Cheerio peeops
    Quote Quote