VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Video Gurus,
    I am a new member and need some help here! I have about 44 analog camcorder tapes (8mm) in which I was able to transfer to my pc using WinDV with great quality; I understand they’re transfer in uncompressed (lossless) .avi format. I am very happy with the quality of the video but each 2 hours tapes required about 23 Gigs of space. Here are my questions:
    1. What is the best way to reduce the file size (under 5Gigs) without sacrifice the video quality
    2. If the method is to convert to other formats, what is the best format converting avi to? Would it be mp4(h264)?
    3. What conversion programs do you recommend?
    Last night I have tried using HandBrake to convert .avi to mp4(h264), with the default settings. The file size reduced to 3+ Gigs, which is great but clearly the .mp4 video quality has deteriorated a lot. Would a different program such as SUPER or using different setting make any difference?
    Last edited by chungchau; 22nd Jan 2013 at 09:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try Ripbot264 using 2Pass - selected file size.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Claudio, I installed Ripbot264 but it required 3 other separate programs, which I found be be cumbersome. Any other suggestions? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chungchau View Post
    Hi Claudio, I installed Ripbot264 but it required 3 other separate programs, which I found be be cumbersome. Any other suggestions? Thanks
    I use 4 encoders:

1 - RIPBOT264 - (some dependencies softwares)
    2 - MEGUI - (some way complicated, but its rock)
    3 - VIDCODER - (derivative from HANDBRAKE)= recomended
    4 - TENCODER - (Too easy solution)

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by chungchau View Post
    I understand they’re transfer in uncompressed (lossless) .avi format.
    I use DV AVI also (when capturing VHS tapes), but it's neither uncompressed nor lossless.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake's default settings are best suited for converting to something to watch on a mobile. Not great quality.

You'd want the high profile, to say the least. It gives you 8x8 DCT and it's probably the most important quality setting.

Beyond that, it gets more complex.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with handbrake. There are many other x.264 encoders recommended here by pretty serious video geeks, but they are not suitable for beginner use. Handbrake or vidcoder (same encoder actually) have the best power/ease of use balance.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    u can use ripbot and staxrip they are easy and usefull
    Quote Quote