VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys, sorry if this is a lame question but I'm trying to take these hd files i have exported which are MASSIVE in size because they are all HD and put them onto a DVD for clients. My problem is trying to compress these files without loosing too much quality so they can fit on these DVDs.

I understand there are different DVDs for different jobs but I am talking in general, how do we get the best quality image with the smallest possible file size?

I see these HD feature films which are only a couple gigs yet still in HD and I cant for the life of me figure out how they compress it so well.

I know there are tons of other threads like this but if someone could throw a couple helping tips my way it would be much appreciated! My goal is to have these 1 hour - 2 hour interviews in HD under 4 gigs.

Thanks everyone!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use h264 video and aac audio. Use for example Megui. If it's too complex you can start with vidcoder, tx264 and see how it looks like when you compress it to around 4 GB.

But these DVDs will only work on computers or if you make a AVCHD on some blu-ray players.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Are you talking about a finished product FROM your AVID/FCP project? If so, you should be compressing them as Baldrick says (AVCHD or BD-compliant settings is good for HD, DVD-Video compliant settings is good for SD).

BTW, "the smallest possible size" and "best quality" are mutually exclusive. At best you have to compromise.

If you were NOT talking about a finished, end consumer product, and you were trying to send either originals or intermediates to a coworker or client, you should NOT be doing ANY compression beyond how they are ALREADY compressed! Also, BTW, FCP/AVID project files themselves (the EDLs) are rediculously small compared to the media files (your title was a little confusing).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the response guys and sorry for this late response! Sorry for the misleading title. So I work on both FCP and AVID for work (wish just AVID) and I am referring to completing a project and exporting from, lets say, FCP. Could you maybe elaborate on your workflow for exporting/compressing a completed project from FCP?

Thanks a bunch!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm not on a Mac right now, so can't give particulars, but you should:
    Render/Export to a Master Format first (either similar to your existing Intermediates: AIC, ProRes4:2:2, Cineform, DNxHD, etc. or Uncompressed/Lossless). Here is an example of 3 optional ways to export, based on your type of usage expectations: http://www.dvcreators.net/how-do-i-export-a-high-quality-movie/
    You should then use Compressor on this Master to derive distribution (end-user) copies, using formats & profiles that match the audience/device.
    Once your project is over, there are a number of strategies for archiving your footage. These depend a lot on your storage budget & deadlines, on your level of safety/redundancy required, on your re-use priorities and on ownership/authorship policy requirements.
    I would think at the very least, you would save the project/session/edl and the on-screen clips (with handles) to an offline storage media/device. If you still used TAPE as your source footage, these could serve also as your backups (allowing fairly quick redigitizing/capture/ingest & relinking).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sorry for such a late response but thank you all so much! Definitely helped a ton! My last newbie question.... I have my MVK file which is much smaller but still really good quality and I am wondering if I can then burn that to a DVD or does it need to be a different file type? I have clients on both MAC and PC and I would love to be able to have a file type that is universal so they can either watch the DVD or take the movie file off.

Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Matt
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Mkv is far from universal even on PCs, yet.

Burning to Dvd/Bd media can either be done as Authored, CE Standards-compliant, or as Generic multimedia data files. If the former, you must convert & encode to the correct appropriate format(s) for the standard. This usually means DVD-compliant MPEG2 for DVD, and BD/AVCHD-compliant AVC for BD or AVCHD. Then you will need to still author the encoded files. If going the generic mm data files route, you can take your pick of lots of options, but you must also match the container(s) and codecs used to the target platform & devices. This is still a wild west frontier WRT support & compatibility.

There is no 100% universal format for all devices. Closest you could get is probably a lowest common denominator like MPEG1, but likely you would not even want to use that. You really have to get used to TAILORING your output.

Scott
    Quote Quote