VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm about to start editing home movies on Video Browser. While reading the software guide, I saw that the usable DVDs were all DVD-R, etc. (All with a minus). I have a new pack of DVD+R. Will they work, too, or only the DVD-Rs?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by ECKJR View Post
    Will they work, too...
    I have no idea what Video Browser is but the answer to your question is 'Yes'. And be sure to actually burn to DVD using ImgBurn. If you use something else and they don't work, or don't work well, it's for a different reason than the kind of DVDR you used.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Any recently made (in the last 3 years) DVD or BluRay player will play both DVD+R and DVD-R equally well. However, the only consistently good media made any more is that by Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim (avoid their cheap Life series, but everything else is good that they make). You may have issues when burning to low quality media.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-R is the 100% compatible standard for consumer players. Don't be surprised if a DVD+R single layer won't work in some players.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 06:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    DVD-R is the 100% compatible standard for consumer players. Don't be surprised if a DVD+R single layer won't work in some players.
    That was bullshit 10 years ago....and it's complete bullshit today.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Ugh..here we go again.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/351890-Is-DVD-an-reliable-option-for-video-storage
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You did not read my post. You read what you wanted to read.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    That was bullshit 10 years ago....and it's complete bullshit today.
    Sorry , but the b.s. is at your end. Get out your DVD+R spindle and look for a "DVD" logo. The official DVD spec hasn't changed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You did not read my post. You read what you wanted to read.
    I read some sort of Pioneer - Panasonic, Sony Bashers fanboy nonsense concocted up around a decade ago when Philips came out with their line of DVD recorders that accepted only DVD+R discs.
    Have fun getting those DVD-R DL discs to work....that's IF you can find any.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The standard is DVD-R for single layer. It's DVD+R for double layer. I didn't say anything about DVD-R Single Layer.

Most players will accept DVD+R single layer. Some will not. Not everyone replaces their players every 6 months. Lots of older players around. I have 5 oldies, 3 newer ones. One of the oldies (2005) will not accept DVD+R single layer. That one is either the old Panasonic SD or the old Denon SD, I don't remember which. My brother in law has a 2004 DVD player (I don't recall the brand, it's either a Panny or a SONY ). It will play double-layer commercial DVD's but not DVD+R home-made, of any kind.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    sanlyn - What you say is mostly correct (your statement about DVD+R DL being a standard is actually wrong if you want to be pedantic - DVD-R DL is the standard if you want to go down that path because it's been blessed by the DVD Forum and DVD+R DL has not), but it's not helpful to the original poster to essentially tell him "If you have some ancient DVD player made 5 or more years ago and it's a complete POS, there is a VERY SMALL chance that it might refuse to play DVD+R discs". Personally, I've never owned a DVD player that wouldn't play both DVD+R and DVD-R single layer discs at all, although even you admit you're talking about old players. It's not helpful to make the OP think that this is a realistic worry. You made 3 different posts on the subject before you admitted that you are talking about SOME older players.

While it's technically true that DVD+R is not a standard, this has more to do with politics on the manufacturing side of things rather than any defects in +R itself. There were white papers released 10 or so years ago that you can still find on the subject or -R vs. +R. There's a famous one that deals with wobble that proclaims that +R is light years ahead of -R. I've even seen one that argues that -R is superior because it was blessed by the DVD Forum and those evil +R guys willingly violate the standards, or something like that. Years of use have shown that for single layer discs, there's no real appreciable difference and consumer players have long supported both. Some professional pressing plants used to refuse to accept any disc that was +R but from what I've seen those days are long gone too and now even the pressing plants will accept +R discs as masters.

In practical terms, DVD+R DL is superior to DVD-R DL and DVD+RW is superior to DVD-RW as the - versions of both of those were something like square pegs hammered into round holes whereas the + versions of both were designed from the beginning to be square pegs that fit into square holes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you pee in the alley you'll get a stye on your eye.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what that means, but it sounds like very strange behavior
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 06:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    hech54, I don't know what that means, but it sounds like very uncivilized behavior
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_wives%27_tale
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It all require to update the firmware of those players to play those double layers because the manufacturers had disable those features in their players because of the fear of piracy whereas the pressed dvd double layers work perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by addu View Post
    It all require to update the firmware of those players to play those double layers because the manufacturers had disable those features in their players because of the fear of piracy whereas the pressed dvd double layers work perfectly.
    Oh great....more BULL$HIT, but this time from someone who has NO IDEA what he is talking about.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You never know, it might be true with players sold in India.

I've always supplied customers with DVD-R SL discs and only had maybe 1 in every hundred returned as they won't play. On each occasion it has been a Philips player they were using and a replacement on DVD+R has worked fine. But it was Philips that tried to invent at least two different standards for video tape recording before they gave up and adopted VHS so we can expect them to try to be different to the rest of the world.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Certainly, I had already lodged various complaints to sony headoffice of those double layer dvd's + or - of their own brands not working in their own players whereas they are playing full proof in other brands namely Philips 3d blurays ,Samsung and lg also. But they do accept with grace the locking of those dvd-9 under pressure from piracy and fear of lost sales in bluray media and royalty.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by addu View Post
    Certainly, I had already lodged various complaints to sony headoffice of those double layer dvd's + or - of their own brands not working in their own players whereas they are playing full proof in other brands namely Philips 3d blurays ,Samsung and lg also. But they do accept with grace the locking of those dvd-9 under pressure from piracy and fear of lost sales in bluray media and royalty.

Huh?!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    Huh?!
    I know. It amazes me there is enough brain power in there to keep those fingers typing.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Richard_G View Post
    You never know, it might be true with players sold in India.

I've always supplied customers with DVD-R SL discs and only had maybe 1 in every hundred returned as they won't play. On each occasion it has been a Philips player they were using and a replacement on DVD+R has worked fine. But it was Philips that tried to invent at least two different standards for video tape recording before they gave up and adopted VHS so we can expect them to try to be different to the rest of the world.
    I agree that almost anything could be true about India as they take piracy concerns to an extreme that manages to make Hollywood look almost sane by comparison.

All I can say about Philips is that my experience is that they make some of the least fussy players in the world. You don't say what brand of discs you are using, but you do know that there really is a difference and all brands are not equally good, right? Anyway, if you make DVD+/-R discs on a regular basis for customers, no matter what you do, some customer will have some ancient piece of crap player that won't play your disc, so 1 out of 100 returns is actually pretty good given how many cheapskate people we have post here all the time asking for unlock codes for DVD players 7 or more years old. More people than you might think are still using players they bought 10 years ago. It absolutely amazes me that such players still work but apparently they do. Keep in mind that older players (maybe all the players in question are ancient models) were a lot fussier than recent models so maybe all the Philips "problem" players are just old models from the early 2000s that still work.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They probably are older models, maybe Philips players last longer so there's more of them still about. I've got a fairly recent Philips upscaling DVD player and that plays everything I've thrown at it. I never use anything but genuine Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R and burn an iso file using Imgburn to make sure I produce the best I can. I think that makes more of a difference than anything, I've seen some very flakey discs that have been burned to cheapo media and hardly anything will play them. Copy them to T-Y's and the files play perfectly.
    Quote Quote