VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using Reclock with madVR and mpc-hc and lav filters. I want Reclock to load only when I'm playing a 25p file and to automatically speed it down to 24p. In madVR I thought the option "treat 25p movies as 24p" did this but it doesn't. Nothing happens when I have it enabled. In Reclock options, Advanced Settings, I have to have "Force ReClock to be loaded instead of default renderers" enabled or else Reclock won't load at all. This causes Reclock to be loaded with all files which I don't want because Reclock adds a slight pause to the video when seeking.

I also have to manually enable "PAL speedDown (force to 24fps)" in Reclock properties for it to speeddown. So just what is that option "treat 25 movies as 24p" for? And how can I load Reclock only for 25p videos?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The "treat 25 movies as 24p" setting only effects the display mode choice MadVR makes according to the frame rate. You need to have resolutions/refresh rates entered in the field below to tell MadVR which display modes it's allowed to use. For instance if your TV can refresh at 50Hz and 60Hz then you might enter the following:
    1080p50, 1080p60
    MadVR would normally choose 1080p50 for 25fps, but with it treating 25fps as 24fps, it'll choose 1080p60 instead. If your TV has a film mode you'd probably add 1080p23 or 1080p24 as well (I'm guessing as my TV doesn't have a film mode).

If you don't like using the force pal speeddown option in ReClock, open it's configuration from the start menu shortcut and change the maximum slowdown under Speed Change from 1% to 5%. That should allow ReClock to automatically change 25fps video to 24fps.

There's no way I know of to only get ReClock to run for 25fps video. Ideally it should be running all the time to fix potential timing issues. One workaround might be to have MPC-HC installed twice and use one instance for 25fps video and the other for the rest. You might be able to tell ReClock not to run when using one instance of MPC-HC, but are you sure any pauses when seeking are ReClock's doing and not MadVR? Sometimes ReClock seems to cause a brief audio glitch when you first start playing a video but I've not noticed it cause the same when seeking.

Keep in mind if you're using more than one monitor with different refresh rates, ReClock won't automatically re-adjust the frame rate when moving the player from one monitor to the other if you're using MadVR. I don't know why as it works fine with any other renderer I've tried, but that's the main reason I don't use MadVR myself. I quite often open video on my CRT monitor and slide the player over to the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm not watching videos on a TV I'm watching it on a 1080p 60Hz monitor. So does the "25p movies as 24p option" not apply? I'm not familiar with timing issues. I mainly wanted to use Reclock to slowdown the framerate for 25fps videos so I don't get that higher pitch sound.

But I should ask first, how do I know if a video has been sped up from 24fps to 25fps or if it was originally shot in 25fps? If I'm watching a European produced straight-to-dvd movie, not converted from film or NTSC TV, would the video be sped-up 25fps or originally 25fps to begin with? What if it's a European TV show? I'm wondering if I even need Reclock for some of my videos.

When I said Reclock adds a slight pause I meant to the audio, not the video. It takes a split second for the audio to resume after seeking while the video plays without any pause. Not a huge problem but it's noticeable. I also notice the audio glitch when it starts playing. I don't like that either.

Installing two MPCs sounds like a decent idea. I'll probably do that.
    Last edited by slicky; 24th Jan 2013 at 07:03.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by slicky View Post
    So does the "25p movies as 24p option" not apply? I'm not familiar with timing issues. I mainly wanted to use Reclock to slowdown the framerate for 25fps videos so I don't get that higher pitch sound.
    If you're only using the one resolution and refresh rate the option wouldn't do anything, as it relates to MadVR's switching of resolution/refresh rates and the choice it makes. The idea being it'd choose the same option for 25fps video as it would for 24fps video (ie 1080p60 instead of 1080p50). Then Reclock looks at the frame and refresh rates and does it's thing, slowing the 25fps video down to 24fps if it's set up to do so.

Originally Posted by slicky View Post
    But I should ask first, how do I know if a video has been sped up from 24fps to 25fps or if it was originally shot in 25fps? If I'm watching a European produced straight-to-dvd movie, not converted from film or NTSC TV, would the video be sped-up 25fps or originally 25fps to begin with? What if it's a European TV show? I'm wondering if I even need Reclock for some of my videos.
    That's the problem, there's no way to know. Aside from TV shows, which would no doubt be filmed in the native format of each country, I doubt there's a way to determine if something was shot at 25fps or 24fps. I'd assume unless it was specifically filmed for TV it'd be shot at 24fps, but I'm not sure...
    I live in PAL land so I use ReClock to speed everything up to 25fps to match the TVs 50Hz refresh rate. I get it to re-sample the audio so the pitch doesn't change, but 24fps or 25fps.... I'd have to be running the two side by side to tell which is which.

When I said Reclock adds a slight pause I meant to the audio, not the video. It takes a split second for the audio to resume after seeking while the video plays without any pause. Not a huge problem but it's noticeable. I also notice the audio glitch when it starts playing. I don't like that either.
    I can't say I've experienced audio pauses when seeking. Well if there is one it's so small I've not really noticed. I'd assume the audio "glitch" when you first start playing a video would be the result of any adjustments ReClock is making to the speed, but I definitely don't have anything like that when seeking. I've got no explanation for why that's happening.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This drove me nuts too, when I first startd using Reclock. You can fix this by opening Reclock configuration, under "Sound Pre-buffer", decrease the duration to 150 ms or less. See picture below :

A word of caution, if you go with too low a value (less than 50 ms), you might get distorted audio on some formats (flac, for example). Experiment with different values in the range between 90 ms and 150 ms, by trying them out with a variety of formats. Pick the lowest value and you should have this solved.
    Quote Quote  
  6. hello_hello: Ok thanks for clearing that up. These tv formats are a frustrating thing indeed. I suppose I could watch a trailer or short clip online and then compare the sound to the video I have and see if it's similar.

Island_Dweller: Hey that worked. It eliminated the pause. Thanks a lot!

Thanks guys for the help.
    Quote Quote