VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recored a 4 second hdv video (mp4) to the camer 16 gig card with real format (not quick) fat 32.

Delete the mp4.

Recover the deleted file with everything I have found on the net.

File always recovers fine with correct file size with any program I try.

It just won't play with any media player (tired em all)

The file is not corrupted, I create a new file each test. Just want to see what the hell is going on.

With Hex editor I can manualy mark the start and end of the file, save and use it this way.

Why can no program restore to working condition. After a "undelete or recovery", massive data is always missing.

Anybody shed any light
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What are you trying to achieve by this ?

Try this instead.

1. Record the vid in the camera.
    2. Transfer the vid from the card to the PC
    3. Does it play in the PC?
    4. Delete the vid form the PC
    5. Restore the deleted vid
    6. Does it play in the PC ?

If operations 3 and 6 do not result in a playable vid then it is not the restore process it is an issue with the vid

After operation 2, what does mediainfo say about the vid. Post a report.
    Do same after operation 5
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It always plays on the pc, it's just that the playable file after delete and restored will not play. I'ts only mp4 that does this.

I had a video several years ago in mp4 that was accidently deleted and so started the quest. I put that sd card back till I could figure it out.

But in no case can any working mp4 be deleted and returned to a playable state with any software I have tried and I have tried just about everything out there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So to confirm. In my suggestion, no mp4 will play after operation 6 ?

But pls post the reports. At the moment we do not have enough info to work on.

You could even upload a sample vid
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shaun298
    it's just that the playable file after delete and restored will not play.
    Are you trying to do this ON PURPOSE? I guess I don't understand why. Accidental erasure I can understand.

But that's why you backup your important stuff right?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All the above applies only to the sd card. Not tried on pc cause have multiple backup of that. It was on a sd card and don't matter any sd card.

Yes on purpose, just in case it ever happans again. It's just any video (on purpose) I delete from sd cards will undelete proper and play, just not the mp4 (created in samsung camera). All I care about is the sd card. Thank for reading.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I read you correctly, even though all this is confusing, you delete from the card and then try to restore back to the card.

That is NOT the accepted way to do this. You should restore to a different drive eg a PC. Have you tried ZAR (Zero Assumption Recovery) ?

You may care about the SD card but that really should not be long term storage.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Read the post: Step one: delete mp4 from sd card: (If you don't know you can't restore to same device).

Oops I deleted a mp4, now restore from where it was deleted from (sd card) to the pc where it now will now not play:

If I read you correctly, even though all this is confusing, you delete from the card and then try to restore back to the card.

That is NOT the accepted way to do this. You should restore to a different drive eg a PC. Have you tried ZAR (Zero Assumption Recovery) ?

You may care about the SD card but that really should not be long term storage

You must be a dumb bass
    Quote Quote  
  9. What software are you using for the recovery? I have had very good success over the years using Photorescue :http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/ Also what camera are you using to take the video? Not all mp4s are created equally.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Shaun298, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic. Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz
    Last edited by redwudz; 20th Jan 2013 at 23:05.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm still confused with your process.

you record a video clip (mp4 video) on your camera
    transfer to pc -- it plays
    delete clip from stick -- are you deleting when stick in the camera or stick in card reader in pc ?
    restore clip on same stick
    transfer to pc -- will not play

i have a canon powershot S3, that i shot photos with. however, when i take the stick out of the camera and read it on my pc via card reader, and then return the stick to my card reader, something strange happens, it looses sync and things like dates get screwed up, also a new folder is created for the next photos to record there. but when i connect through the usb link, no sync loss and dates are correct.

maybe something similar is happening in your case when you delete/restore sync or integrety is lost.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Shaun298 View Post

You must be a dumb bass
    Well this dumbass (spelt correctly) tried to help. But you are beyond help. If you can not explain your proceedures clearly what chance is there ?

And I am not alone in being confused by your process.

Have a nice day !.
    Quote Quote