VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'd like to edit a movie, by removing some scenes and save the output with the same configuration as the movie in the input.
    I've tried CyberLink PowerDirector 11 but no "save the output with the input's properties" option. And I've tried Sony Vegas Pro 12.0 (64-bit), but the same problem, even if there's "Project Video Properties" but it's just the configuration for the preview, not the final render. There's a tutorial here http://www.bubblevision.com/underwater-video/Vegas-Xvid.htm to use DebugMode FrameServer, but I'm stuck in the step of rendering as "DebugMode FrameServer (*.avi)", it doesn't appear.
    Last edited by krikrik; 20th Jan 2013 at 12:15.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What is your your video source file?

If you just are going to remove some scenes try something that does not reconvert at all. Like virtualdub, avidemux, solveigm avi trimmer. You basicly just set start and stop, press delete, under video and audio codecs choose direct stream copy/copy and save as new avi, mp4, mkv, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @krikrik - please note not all video formats have frame accurate editing capability. Meaning not everyone will let you cut on exactly the spot you want.

It all has to do with i, b and p frames that I have a very rudimentary understanding of. I think video is cut on b frames but I'm not a 100% sure of that.

You link to a guide that says "xvid" so apparently you are using xvid. Xvid might be more frame accurate than other codecs so you may not have an issue cutting on the exact frame you want to.

In order to find out what video yours is use mediainfo to open the file and identify the codec used.

Follow baldricks advice and you'll be on your way.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, it's an Xvid file.
    I found Avidemux very good, even if I was afraid of its simple GUI (especially without the miniatures of the frames ) but it does not have the "mask selected frames" option, so thanks VirtualDub (and Baldrick for proposing it, by the way). The only downside is that the masked frames are masked by the last unmasked frame before them, can we chose the first frame after the selected frames to be the mask?
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    It all has to do with i, b and p frames that I have a very rudimentary understanding of. I think video is cut on b frames but I'm not a 100% sure of that.
    What are i, b and p frames?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by krikrik
    As I said I am not fluent in all the ins and outs of that aspect of digital video. We do have a glossary here on this website for more info:

https://www.videohelp.com/glossary
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Originally Posted by krikrik
    As I said I am not fluent in all the ins and outs of that aspect of digital video. We do have a glossary here on this website for more info:

https://www.videohelp.com/glossary
    Okay, thank you for the link.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote