VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've just mistakenly purchased a JVC SVHS VCR from a secondhand shop which does not allow returns. I was looking for a VCR to play plain-old VHS tapes (I already own one JVC VCR; this second machine was purchased to allow tape-to-tape copying) and picked up the JVC HR-S52OOU, thinking that it was a particularly good-looking standard VCR. Only after I attempted to play a VHS tape on it did I noticed that it was intended for SVHS tapes.

Now I'm stuck with a machine designed to play a format which I do not use and have no intention of using, which now has a VHS tape stuck in it and which was purchased from a place which does not allow returns. Thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    S-VHS decks are recommended for VHS tapes , mainly for it's S-Video output , and your deck may be misaligned if it eats tapes ... and don't do tape-to-tape dub . put them in digital format
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TrackingError View Post
    this second machine was purchased to allow tape-to-tape copying

Originally Posted by TrackingError View Post
    Now I'm stuck with a machine designed to play a format which I do not use and have no intention of using, which now has a VHS tape stuck in it ...
    What does "stuck" mean? The player froze up? The tape won't eject? IF it won 't eject, take off the top cover and carefully remove it -- or better yet, bring it to a shop.

JVC has a long reputation for destroying tapes if the player isn't aligned well. If your tape was recorded at any speed slower than standard 2-hour speed, JVC is not recommended.

In fact, nothing is recommended for tape-to-tape. OMG!
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 03:05.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your Vcr : JVC HR-S52OOU may be a candidat for :

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/286055-VCR-buying-guide-%28S-VHS-D-VHS-Professional%29

have you done any research on it ?

it may be a really good vcr if it's in shape
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    JVC never supported the LP(4-hour) speed. Only SP and EP. If your tapes were recorded in LP most JVC's won't play them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    S-VHS decks play VHS tapes as well and often better than VHS decks.
    They were designed to be compliant with older standards,I never saw a S-VHS deck that could not play LP tapes at least in France.
    But LP tapes often do not play well on other decks than that on wich they wer recoded.
    The name or your deck is not JVC HR-S52OOU but JVC HR-S5200U .I needed that to guess your location.
    User should give at least a continent location, this can be useful because video standards and hardware differ from one country to another ,even nowadays.
    Economists made theories about the fact that when you buy second hand,you do not know what you buy !
    Quote Quote  
  7. Buy this One it's what i use currently

it plays commercial vhs tapes very well, although it's noisy (no tbc/dnr) but tbc/dnr is overrated except maybe on the d-vhs line
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the replies, everyone. I can't write much now, but I wanted to get two responses out of the way.

Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post

[snip]
    In fact, nothing is recommended for tape-to-tape. OMG!
    I understand that from the point of view of the conventional video-editor/filmmaker, analog-to-analog copying is never recommended - generation loss and all that. But for me, the (sometimes severe) loss of quality is a positive attribute! I'm creating lo-fi art films along these lines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOR8gulRYXA

Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    Your Vcr : JVC HR-S52OOU may be a candidat for :

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/286055-VCR-buying-guide-%28S-VHS-D-VHS-Professional%29

have you done any research on it ?

it may be a really good vcr if it's in shape
    Hm - looks like it is on that list! It's in pretty good shape... perhaps it was a better buy than I thought!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use a Philips VR1100 (with TCB) BUT....I have come across one tape where TBC made the picture worse. I'd still rather have TBC but I went YEARS without it happily digitizing tapes so....you be the judge.
    Quote Quote