VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have an mpeg video (m2v/d2v) with YV12 colorspace and I'm wondering, should I open it in VDub and save it directly to AVI with Lagarith codec BEFORE applying any AviSynth scripts/effects on it?

Or can I just go ahead, open the d2v file, make some changes, and then save it to AVI?

I'm affraid to loss quality, it's an animation.

Any comment is welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's not necessary - avisynth frameserves uncompressed video

You might want to use a lossless intermedate AFTER, however, if your scripts/filters are slow bottlenecking, and are doing a 2pass encode (the reason is you will encounter the slow filters twice instead of once)
    Quote Quote  
  3. if your scripts/filters are slow bottlenecking, and are doing a 2pass encode
    I'm not sure I fully understand what you're trying to tell me.

avisynth frameserves uncompressed video
    I feel better now that I know AviSynth serve uncompressed video... even if the image looks more compressed, maybe its my script... :P

Thanks for your help poisondeathray
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by askiplop View Post
    if your scripts/filters are slow bottlenecking, and are doing a 2pass encode
    I'm not sure I fully understand what you're trying to tell me.
    1) There are some cases where you might want do multipass encodes (encoding, not talking about avisynth filtering) . You might have fixed capacity constraints (e.g. optical media, blu-ray, maybe need a certain bandwidth for flash) , and a 1pass VBR might produce lower quality than 2 or more passes

2) Some avisynth filters are VEERRRRY SLOOOOOOOOOOWW, even when running MT . They become a processing bottleneck, and you might get very low CPU% usage (= IDLE wasted cycles) .

3) When doing multipass encodes with slow avs scripts, it's faster overall to use a lossless intermediate, then do multipass encode using the lossless intermediate as the source (because that source has that filter chain applied to it)

Doesn't even have to be avisynth - the concept is the same about avoiding bottlenecks with multipasses. Even non avisynth filters like neat video , other denoisers can be very slow.
    Quote Quote  
  5. VDub is runing at 15% in Highest priority (according to the VDub Status window)...
    Yes it is very slow! And I don't use the MT version (yet).

So it is suggested to convert it to Lagarith before applying avs scripts. (If I understand you correctly)
    How do I use multipass with VDub and AviSynth? (Right nowI set it to Fast Compresison in the video menu of VDub)
    Because I know multipass are much better... but you read my other (long) post about my old animation movie, and now I don't really know in which order I need to do the steps

I may need to burn the video file after to a DVD support for regular DVD player... But I'll keep a copy (size doesn't matter) on my computer.
    Quote Quote