VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey Guys,

I apologize if this has been asked before but I've been searching for WEEKS on the answer.

I have an MKV file roughly 25-30GB
    I want to burn it to a blu-ray disc so I can play it on my home theater system
    How do I do this on a Mac without Quality loss?? I've tried handbrake and that was a waste of time for me. I'm honestly at a dead-end. Nothing is supported by MKV for me. Everytime I use Toast 11 I can get it through the endecoing process about 50% of the time then it fails to burn. I don't want to keep wasting discs.

On a side note, I use Mac Blu Ray Player to watch the file and it works Flawlessly so I know the file works.

Here's what I'm working with:
    Mac Pro Quad Core (2010)
    2 x Blu-Ray Burners
    16GB Ram
    1SDD Harddrive
    8TB Internal

I'm using TDK 50GB BD-R DL
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you want to convert it to blu-ray video? Tsmuxer might be able to remux it to a bdmv folder. But I guess it doesn't work that good in mac osx.

Or just burn it on a bdr in data mode?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I'm not sure which method would be best. Pretty much just want to be able to successfully burn the file so it's watchable and doesn't have any quality loss.

If that means I have to convert it first I'll do that. Handbrake says it sucessfully converted the file. Then I play it back and its just a White video with nothing. Plus the size of the file ends up being 100+ gigs. Maybe I don't have the settings right on it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does your home theater system supports mkv/mp4/etc from a bdr disc? If not you must probably make a real blu-ray from it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    That I'm not sure about. How would I go about burning it to a Blu-ray format? I'm assuming we couldn't go wrong doing it that way.

I was under the assumption that I would first have to convert the file then use toast 11 to burn. I figured toast can't handle MKV files correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    The easiest way by far is feeding the file into your playback system as it is. Even burning it to a precious BD-R as a file could be unnecessary.

If your playback system is capable of handling an mkv file from a BD-R, this BD-R will not really be standard compliant and could fail in any other playback device.

I think as a first step you should analyze your file to see if it contains BD-compliant audio and video. If audio and video (and maybe other streams in the mkv, if you need them) are compliant already there is no need to convert anything. In that case, it's just a matter of remuxing and authoring a "proper" BD.
    Last edited by Lowlander; 8th Jan 2013 at 10:34.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Check the manual? Or burn a smaller mkv sample from your big mkvs and see if they work.

Another method would be to stream to your home theatre system...if it has any lan/wifi network and DLNA support then. You can use Plex Media server for example.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    i just tried tsmuxer and had no luck. the program keeps saying the file(s) aren't supported. (MKV)

I'm still looking for a solution to burn the MKV file to BD-R. its driving me nuts
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Install MediaInfo and post back here what is says about the contents of the MKV file. MKV can hold almost anything, so it could be that tsmuxer is trying to tell you in a bad way that video and/or audio are not valid for BluRay format. BluRay format cannot hold almost anything. There are restrictions. AAC audio is very common in MKV files and it's not allowed in BluRay format.

TDK discs are not the best. The ONLY reliable BD-DL discs are Verbatim's and some players don't even like those very much.
    Quote Quote  
  10. tsmuxer probably can't handle mkv files with header removal compression,...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    ok so heres the update... the windows version of tsmuxer opened the mkv file fine. I checked the DTS-HD audio and Video file only and saved it to blu-ray format! that was a success!

Now toast is giving me an error when I tried to burn the blu-ray formatted file.

Is there a better or different program for Mac OSX i can try to burn the Blu-Ray File?
    After I clicked "OK" it said
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-01-08 at 2.28.51 PM.png
Views:	33364
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	15637  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-01-08 at 3.26.12 PM.png
Views:	33328
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	15638  

Last edited by bbren43; 8th Jan 2013 at 15:27.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by bbren43 View Post
    Now toast is giving me an error when I tried to burn the blu-ray formatted file.
    this errior is hardware related (not related to your type of input, but to your disc or burner )

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Ok so I'm thinking its my disc only because I purchased the burner from OWC and I'm using all their directions so far.

http://eshop.macsales.com/articles/howto-burn-bluray-toast
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by bbren43 View Post
    .. (edit) .. I have an MKV file roughly 25-30GB . I want to burn it to a blu-ray disc so I can play it on my home theater system How do I do this on a Mac without Quality loss?? I've tried handbrake and that was a waste of time for me. I'm honestly at a dead-end. Nothing is supported by MKV for me. Everytime I use Toast 11 I can get it through the endecoing process about 50% of the time then it fails to burn. I don't want to keep wasting discs.
    I've been burning MKV to Bluray disc's and DVDs using Toast successfully for a while now.
    In TOAST I use the DATA tab, then the "DVD-ROM(UDF)" setting. Drop the MKV file in there and burn.
    It will play fine in a Bluray DVD player.

From what you're saying I think you may be using the VIDEO tab and then (perhaps) the "Blu-ray Video" setting. Is that right?
    It would explain why Toast decides to re-encode the file. Re-encoding isn't necessary.

Handbrake is useful for re-encoding files to change it size, (I've shrunk MKV files to 4.4GB to burn on DVD, these play fine in a Bluray Player), or to correct an MKV file that wasn't encoded properly.

Try what I've suggested and let me know.
    Hope that helps a bit.

PS Try VLC (if you don't already have it) as a free option for playing MKV files on your Mac. And if you haven't got them; MakeMKV; MKV Tools; MP4 Tools and MKVToolnix are all quiet useful. (They may take a while to learn).
    Quote Quote  
  15. hi did u manage to do it??? had same prob and tried lots ofways, found one that works if ya still looking
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    I tried this and did not work for me, can you pls elaborate thanks in advance

Originally Posted by phase52001 View Post
    Originally Posted by bbren43 View Post
    .. (edit) .. I have an MKV file roughly 25-30GB . I want to burn it to a blu-ray disc so I can play it on my home theater system How do I do this on a Mac without Quality loss?? I've tried handbrake and that was a waste of time for me. I'm honestly at a dead-end. Nothing is supported by MKV for me. Everytime I use Toast 11 I can get it through the endecoing process about 50% of the time then it fails to burn. I don't want to keep wasting discs.
    I've been burning MKV to Bluray disc's and DVDs using Toast successfully for a while now.
    In TOAST I use the DATA tab, then the "DVD-ROM(UDF)" setting. Drop the MKV file in there and burn.
    It will play fine in a Bluray DVD player.

From what you're saying I think you may be using the VIDEO tab and then (perhaps) the "Blu-ray Video" setting. Is that right?
    It would explain why Toast decides to re-encode the file. Re-encoding isn't necessary.

Handbrake is useful for re-encoding files to change it size, (I've shrunk MKV files to 4.4GB to burn on DVD, these play fine in a Bluray Player), or to correct an MKV file that wasn't encoded properly.

Try what I've suggested and let me know.
    Hope that helps a bit.

PS Try VLC (if you don't already have it) as a free option for playing MKV files on your Mac. And if you haven't got them; MakeMKV; MKV Tools; MP4 Tools and MKVToolnix are all quiet useful. (They may take a while to learn).
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    I'm looking to copy this MKV video i have to a blu ray disc

Originally Posted by lasty View Post
    hi did u manage to do it??? had same prob and tried lots ofways, found one that works if ya still looking
    Quote Quote  
  18. mjcedeno;

- go here: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaInfo and download mediaInfo. This will give you information about your MKV file. It needs to be a 4.0 or 4.1 to playback on a bluray player. (See below example). If it's 5.0 or above you'll needed to re-encode it with Handbrake.

Does this explain what I'm doing better. (I made a backup for the kids to ruin).

BTW: is the audio of the MKV file AC3 or DTS? DTS may or may not playback.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    thanks for the reply, that's what I get? where it shows that is 4.0 or more?

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-06-15 at 11.35.01 AM.png
Views:	1077
Size:	601.7 KB
ID:	18375  

Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    I think it says 3.1?? is that ok or need re-encode ?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by mjcedeno View Post
    I think it says 3.1?? is that ok or need re-encode ?
    From my screen grab - Under "Streams" -> "Video" (HIGH@L4.1) is what you should be looking at.

You only need to re-encode if the MKV file is 5.0 or above. Anything 4.1 or below will work.

Unless the audio is a DTS with 6 channels. Then you might get a "incompatiable audio" message when you try to play it back.

Is it possible for you to crop your screen grab of the Media Info around the stream info? I can't read what you've posted.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Did you get my link ???
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by mjcedeno View Post
    I'm looking to copy this MKV video i have to a blu ray disc

Originally Posted by lasty View Post
    hi did u manage to do it??? had same prob and tried lots ofways, found one that works if ya still looking
    hi, if you download mkvmerge and tsmuxser. Once got them open mkvmerge and insert your mkv. then once mkv in you will have 3 tabs under movie and audio files. click on extra options go to compression and select none on both video and audio (remember to select them first) then save to ur desired output, and click on start muxing.Then open tsmuxser and put ur saved file in that and select blu ray disc. save to output folder of ur choice and select start muxing. then there after have been muxed you will have your BDMV AND CERTIFICATE FOLDER READY TO BURN ......

I have done loads of mkvs this way and works great, even keep DTS TRACK... GOOD LOOK IF YOU NEED ANY HELP I'LL DO A TUTORIAL FOR YOU.
    Quote Quote  
  24. now I try t what you have written but when I burn a blu-ray and plugs in my blu-ray player pixels are all over the place what am I doing wrong. I need help.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by joker58 View Post
    now I try t what you have written but when I burn a blu-ray and plugs in my blu-ray player pixels are all over the place what am I doing wrong. I need help.
    Joker58;

not sure who you're asking, so: can you supply a bit more detail? the more detail the faster the problem may be resolved.

- are you on a Mac or a PC?
    - what software are you using to rip the bluray disc to an MKV file?
    - are you compressing the MKV file from eg; 25Gb down to 4GB - and burning it onto a DVD?
    - what software are you using to do the compression, if you are indeed compressing it?
    - what software are you using to burn the MKV file?
    - can you confirm that the MKV file is 4.1 or lower and what format the audio is in?
    - what bluray player are you using?

and finally, do you have a re-writeable Bluray disc or rewriteable DVD? in the long term it saves money when learning.

thanks.
    Robert.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Robert,

Thanks for all of your help in this thread so far! I was just hoping you can clarify something for me. First, let me tell you my setup and then I will ask my question. I am trying to burn an MKV to a BD-DL using my Samsung external burner using Toast 11 (with the HD plugin installed) on my Mac. I have burned several ISOs (including 3D) successfully for playback on my PS3 using Toast, but I am now moving on to burning remuxes.

I have checked using media info as you suggested, and as best I can tell, everything looks fine (see screenshot).

In your post, you said that you have successfully burned MKVs to blu ray in toast using the "Data" tab and then selecting "DVD-ROM (UDF)", which I can easily do (see screenshot).

So I am wondering, in your experience, if I burn the disc as I have everything set up, will it be able to playback on my PS3 in a similar fashion to burning an ISO?

Sorry for the long post and for being so thorough, but I don't want to burn the disc and not have it work and have no idea where I might have gone wrong.

Thanks for all of your help!

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-08-23 at 4.59.05 AM.png
Views:	21908
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	19505  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-08-23 at 5.02.32 AM.png
Views:	592
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	19506  

Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by omnuibruno View Post
    So I am wondering, in your experience, if I burn the disc as I have everything set up, will it be able to playback on my PS3 in a similar fashion to burning an ISO?
    Sorry, but I don't have a PS3, nor do I have access to a PS3, so I can't tell you if after burning the disc it would play back in a PS3. I've never tested any of my MKV burns in a PS3.

Apart from that it looks fine, except for the DTS audio file. I can't say if that will play or not. My experience is that you'll get an error message and it'll play anyway, or it won't and you'll an "incompatible" message with it. I generally add an AC3 audio file to my MKVs as the default audio file, while retaining the DTS audio file, just to be on the safe side.

All I can suggest is that you use Handbrake to compress the title down to 23Gb and then burn it to a rewriteable BD, and test that on a PS3, before you burn the BD-DL.

I lost quiet a few BDs and BD-DLs in my early days so I know how you feel, BD-DLs are quiet expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  28. This is the copy of the Media-Info I mentioned.

Name:	Medio-Info.jpeg
Views:	659
Size:	806.7 KB
ID:	23513  

Last edited by Thefile; 10th Feb 2014 at 13:42.
    Quote Quote  
  29. As my BD player can play mkv flawless, I never had a problem with burn for mkv data-dvds. FYI, mkv file size 4.3GB (max).
    Quote Quote