VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. That can be part of my problem, my file is 8.77 GB. As soon as I get another program to do the burn I will work on that
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Thefile View Post
    That can be part of my problem, my file is 8.77 GB. As soon as I get another program to do the burn I will work on that
    Your MKV file only needs to be a size that you can burn to your disc of choice.
    So 4.3GB for burning to a standard single sided DVD.
    Or up to 23GB (approx) for burning to a single sided Bluray disc.
    I generally burn 2 or 3 MKV files to a 25GB BD disc, each about 7 to 8Gb in size.
    So size shouldn't be a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On my Mac I convert MKV files to MPEG-2 using Handbrake then feed that to Toast 11. Any other format seems to choke Toast. I've had 100% success with this process. I hate there isn't a simpler solution but at least it has been working. I only burn bluray disks for friends and family as I stream everything I watch to my WDTV live box. I don't know if their players would support MKV files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by void View Post
    On my Mac I convert MKV files to MPEG-2 using Handbrake then feed that to Toast 11. Any other format seems to choke Toast. I've had 100% success with this process. I hate there isn't a simpler solution but at least it has been working. I only burn bluray disks for friends and family as I stream everything I watch to my WDTV live box. I don't know if their players would support MKV files.
    Thank you for your help
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    too funny, I wish I read this 36 hours ago before I used Toast to burn a 9GB mkv file to a 25GB blu-ray using the blu-ray setting! it's now at 75%
    I think I'll cancel it and try the recommended way. Thanks and stay tuned.

I've been burning MKV to Bluray disc's and DVDs using Toast successfully for a while now.
    In TOAST I use the DATA tab, then the "DVD-ROM(UDF)" setting. Drop the MKV file in there and burn.
    It will play fine in a Bluray DVD player.

From what you're saying I think you may be using the VIDEO tab and then (perhaps) the "Blu-ray Video" setting. Is that right?
    It would explain why Toast decides to re-encode the file. Re-encoding isn't necessary.

Handbrake is useful for re-encoding files to change it size, (I've shrunk MKV files to 4.4GB to burn on DVD, these play fine in a Bluray Player), or to correct an MKV file that wasn't encoded properly.

Try what I've suggested and let me know.
    Hope that helps a bit.

PS Try VLC (if you don't already have it) as a free option for playing MKV files on your Mac. And if you haven't got them; MakeMKV; MKV Tools; MP4 Tools and MKVToolnix are all quiet useful. (They may take a while to learn).[/QUOTE]
    Quote Quote  
  6. I would like to thank you for your help, I got other ideas from some guys but when I tried what you said it blew me away. I burned a full MKV movie to a Blu_Ray in about 15 minutes and it played perfect.
    Thank You
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello guys. How is the mkv file displayed on the Blu Ray/DVD players, like data or autoplay?
    Thanks in advance for your response.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by void View Post

Most ppl. rip the BR to 1:1 as mkv onto the HDD to avoid errors.
    Then Shrink it with HB (Handbrake) to the size you want as mkv also.
    Then convert it into mp4 for Versatility to be played, streamed, uploading, etc. at everywhere.
    And burn it as mkv, mp4, converted into ISO & burn it as DATA that play on BR players, etc.
    I guess we have many options now on days.

The Tricky part is the HB settings.
    Check my last post as, Mrguss :
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/advice-for-ripping-blu-rays-for-use-on-xbox-one-ne.../#post-5041156

Hope this help.
    Last edited by DJ_ValBec; 23rd Jan 2015 at 18:04.
    Quote Quote