VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Every year or so i spend ages trawling the various forums/threads to try to find a solution for how to extract subtitles (in any format) from HDTV DVB recordings i've made. And every time it ends up with references to ProjectX - and failure, for me at least, when i try to follow instructions from people who say they have done what i want to do. All i get is a log file of hundreds of decoding errors and an ac3 file.

Over a year ago, i sent a clip of a recording i'd made to the developer of ccextractor to see if they could incorporate this function, but i've had no feedback.

So i decided to start a new thread here and ask if anyone could please tell me exactly how it is possible to do this, using ProjectX or any other (preferably free) software. I'm in the UK if that makes any difference to the settings i should use.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Post a ts sample with subs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks baldrick, will do.

Does it have to be unedited - i.e. a short 'virgin' recording - and what sort of size?

Here's a short edited (videoredo) clip

http://files.videohelp.com/u/105769/PS%20EP5%20clip.ts
    Last edited by Bully9; 4th Jan 2013 at 08:55.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I guess that's a 'try again next year' then
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bully9 View Post
    I guess that's a 'try again next year' then

Wait man...I downloading your file now.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Man, did not know it was so hard.

I´m tested various softs an no success.

keep searching for some solution.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yup. It was tricky. It works in VLC so it must be some way.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    About the only program around that can work with dvb subs is projectx,the sample you sent has decoding errors so it can't be used to extract the subs.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well, thanks for all the responses. ProjectX does feel as if it may need only minor mods to do the trick, but of course i have no real idea of the technicalities involved. I do know that any HD TV capture i've ever tried in ProjectX has produced error responses, so it's not like this example is unusual or corrupt. Certainly, i can do all the normal A/V conversions in videoredo, megui, mkvmerge etc. It's just the subs that present a problem. And i'm sure that ProjectX can deal with similarly captured SD TV - it's just the HD that is the problem.

When i've tried other HDTV files, i've often had hundreds 'GOP larger than 6mb' errors. I don't know if this is indicative of anything.
    Last edited by Bully9; 9th Jan 2013 at 15:25.
    Quote Quote